How would a n00b know if a coin is "worth" sending off for grading?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by thehuckler, Oct 10, 2011.

1. thehuckler

thehuckler New Member

Hey guys,

I have quite a few pandas, which I think "look" like good candidates to send off for grading.

Are there any basic indicators of how well a coin should grade? (So I can choose my candidates very carefully)

Also, I have a coin, which I'm thinking of grading, purely because it's out of OMP.

If a coin is sent to a grading company out of OMP, will this have a negative bearing on its grading?

Kind regards,

- Ric

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Nope. They grade the coin, not the packaging.

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

No way to tell if a coin will come back 69 or 70, or even 68. Grading has been shown to be very subjective.
    It's a crap shoot, but if it's out of OMP, my personal opinion is it would be a good idea to have it graded as many people don't touch Pandas unless they're graded or in OMP, yours truly included.

4. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

Get a good quality magnifier (and quality is important!) and carefully examine the coin's surface for scratches, hairlines, scrapes, breaks in the luster, dings or any other flaws. If you can see them, the grader will, too. Coins with these flaws are unlikely to grade higher than MS-67. If you can't find anything wrong with the coin it's a good candidate for grading. The results will be useful, at the very least as a learning experience and possibly you will get back some 69s or even better.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

5. partyk1d24

partyk1d24 New Member

I've sold MS66s and even MS64s on Ebay at a small premium over OMPs. I think some people just like to know exactly what they are getting, even if they can get a little better with a little risk.

6. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for this great information Peter !!!

I always consider myself a decent grader but the guys at NGC apparently do not think so :D

You did give me a few more things to look for ...