How should one handle a metals seller that once did the job well?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Pirocco, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Years ago I learnt to know in the EU an ebay seller by wanting some special rounds from the US that he was the sole one to sell in my region of countries.
    After my first order he made an international phone call to ask me if I had already transferred the money, and upon a yes he trusted me to immediately ship the rounds, so before he could actually verify the payment.
    Later on (at a next contact to order) he recommended to not use ebay to avoid the cost, and he lowered his price with the ebay fee, and we continued that way.
    Since, I bought quite some more special rounds from him, with my biggest amounts earlier this year, in 3 or 4 orders/shipments.
    But the previous time (not the last time), things suddenly changed, long wait. Months. Apparently, as he told me, he had to find another job, because the metals shop alone didnt bring in the needed income (anymore), and he lacked the time to closely follow up orders, instead he waited for enough orders to then all ship them in one go, and hence the delay.
    Also, he wasn't that quick anymore to reply on emails. It easily took weeks and even months, as turned out, he said he had read them and felt alittle bad for ignoring them until he had the time.
    But in the end, he did deliver, and he also added freebies like copper coins, candles in the shape of banknotes and so on, especially the copper rounds were a substantial gift.
    But as of my last order (Silver Bug Ariana and SBSS Arise), it's like dead on the other end. I asked to order some more, and he managed to change the order in time, but it's now ago from start juli 2014 I've heard of him.

I've sent 3 emails since, no replies. His shops website, ceased, and is now an inactive hosting domain. He's not longer active / registered on ebay. The account still exists, but the last (and all positive) feedback is from over 90 days ago.
    I bought 3 of the 4 orders as a private (not business) purchase, alike stacker buying from other stacker. Some searching on the web does show him alive, he apparently plays chess and after some years break he showed up in last months records. Same country same name, it has to be the guy.
    So I'm abit stuck now. I trusted him. He trusted me. I can understand his situation and its consequences. But in the end, I paid for the stuff, and even if it takes months, at the very least he should keep me informed instead of plain ignore me. If he has time to play chess then he has time to answer emails.
    As said, it's a private purchase, I think I can't claim much. And as of yet, I don't want to bring him into (more?) trouble. On the other hand, it's about 80 rounds, a big part proofs and all specialties.
    I don't know what to do now. But I won't wait forever.

2. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

Not sure what else you can do and I do hope you receive you receive your order.

But until then, unfortunately by default, Pirocco you have joined the group you seem to abhor............... "The Money For Nothing Club" ............so Welcome :p

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It sounds to me as if he no longer has the funds to purchase the metal or rebate his buyers; I'm sure you're not the only one. It would appear that you must follow a legal course if it is open to you, but if he has no funds, you may be throwing good money after bad. There may also be a chance that he engineered the situation, and perhaps other than within his own country, has defrauded many.

I hate to say it, but I think that you can kiss your money goodbye.

4. rodmadman

rodmadman New Member

NM I see you said he is no longer a reg user on ebay. If he was you could watch for items he has for sale and purchase an item (you can always return it) and then you could get access to his information including a phone number.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If your emails are as lengthy as your posts he probably just hasn't finished reading them

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

My experience of pms is try to restrict your larger priced purchases to within your own country. That way you have the option of getting the police involved if it goes pear shaped. International purchases only have the assistance of paypal (what a joke) or your credit card company. Other than that it is buyer bewate as think you are on your own.
    Sorry, know that didn't help your situation but is a lesson to others to learn from others experiences.

7. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

Haha. Good one! It's nice to have a laugh with the morning coffee... :D

8. Pirocco

I joined it?
    You mean, he joined it?
    Who here is (as it looks like now?) wanting others people money for nothing?
    Me or him?
    This should be obvious?

9. Pirocco

They are, and apparently that wasn't a problem, and that was also the case in the other direction.
    And his comments weren't as useless as yours too

10. Pirocco

To take into account is that most of the rounds I purchased were 'oldies', being rounds he already got in stock for years.
    Only the Ariana and Arise rounds were new ones that he needed to order, and in the Ariana case (20 rounds, an separate shortly-after-order) he even told me to wait to pay them until he actually received them, as like he wasn't that sure about getting them (he said he buys stuff in the US along a (or more?) person there, not directly)
    His ebay (1500 feedbacks, business user) also was 100% positive, including the last ones before he ceased there.
    Also the story around the Ariana rounds, ie order an amount, then after a couple days upon request some extra called to change the order then confirmed it succeeded, it all doesnt look like making up things.

11. graydragon

graydragon New Member

Sorry To hear this and It's a shame some think its amusing
    or so it seems? Myself I would try another email asking for a refund
    and I would also let him know that if he cant refund in full to start
    making payments in cash silver gold whatever he has .
    sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and try whatever may
    work good luck and let us know if any positive progress
    evolves.
    graydragon

12. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

I am wondering what countries we are talking about here? I believe you are in Belgium? And he? I hope not Nigeria...

13. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've always thought of the Belgians to be pleasant people so I'm pretty sure he's not Belgian. He comes across as French to me

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The only time a Frenchman will talk to an Englishman is when a German walks into the room.

15. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

The ebay seller who tried to dupe me was Belgian. :)

16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the seller never delivered in light weight before, then you can only stop further buying and wait for the metals to arrive.

on few instances, the people I bought from, got their hands or packers sent to hospitals, and the metals got delayed for months, but I received them there after.

some metals go shipped to Japan, and never to be seen again.

Some are honest sellers, but they can get it from buyers too, who con the seller, so ... the logic, no seller can go on shipping to a ghost, and has the packs lost in the never never. :)

17. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My simple risk management axiom when it comes to purchasing PMs:
    [​IMG]

No Trust = No Betrayal

Whenever possible, make over-the-counter purchases in person.
    Always assume the counterparty will act in bad faith.
    Investigate and plan loss-recovery avenues.
    If in doubt, decline to deal.
    When there is no other way, divide a large purchase among multiple vendors to minimize losses.

18. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

Pirroco I don't celebrate anyone getting screwed over.

Correct he has taken your money for nothing and you have given him your money for nothing.

Sorry.. I just couldn't help myself after reading too many of your arrogant and "money for nothing club" posts from you.

From what you have told us, for me alarm bells would have been ringing at this above and regardless of FINALLY getting delivery with generous compensation, I would not have gone back for more.

There are fraudsters and absolute thieves out there, but from what you have told us, from my impression is that this guy is probably a decent guy, but has got into serious financial strife and just cannot currently fulfil his obligation to you (and no doubt many others).

When a business getting to a stage of actually having to close their doors, it's serious and you can be assured that there is a LONG line of creditors in front of you. And if this is the case, as much as he may be an honourable and decent person whom wants to do the right thing by you and others, it's simply just NOT possible.

Good Luck

19. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

You don't have his phone number or address?

20. Pirocco

The email I sent yesterday was after 2 unreplied ones, so I don't think an email asking for a refund will be treated different.
    Next weekend I'm gonna try a telephone call. It would be the second time that way, the first time was when he called me after my first order.
    It's just not practical, I don't have a phone myself so I have to bother some1 and they can listen too lol.
    I wonder what I will hear. Nothing also possible (as in no picking up).

@ Stacked
    I name things like they are. People that see other people as cows to milk, to take advantage of, based on their mistakes, often after telling them lies / misleading, I name money for nothing clubbers. I can understand some prefer to name it 'making money', but they make nothing, all they do is stealing money, just like governments and the interest groups they sponsor with other peoples money taken by force. If that sounds arrogant to you then I'm proud to be arrogant. If you had said that it sounds shit to you, then I'd say that I'm proud to say shit. If you get the picture.
    Another thing: he didn't went bankrupt. There are no creditors. He just ceased a business that doesn't provide the needed income anymore. There are few bells to alarm. I handled him like I handle every human that at least tries to do the job well: give a break. I told him that hurry wasn't needed and that I understood his new situation. Even now, after 4-5 months waiting, I don't bother. What DOES bother me is that he doesn't reply. I was a loyal customer, I paid quickly, I treated him with respect, I just expect the same. If I would be unable to do something that is expected from me, I would explain the situation, my abilities, and my efforts to solve eventual problems. I would keepup instead of hide. And that's what pesters me now.