How safe are the big aussie banks?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Gold Kiwi, Jan 13, 2011.

1. bennybbc

bennybbc Member Silver Stacker

Hi Dan,

Found your posts interesting and don't have a problem with anything you said. I keep an open mind, I don't take movies like zeitgeist as gospel. Yes I have watched the first 2, not the 3rd yet. I was replying to this post in particular -

In my books anyone who doesnt know that the FED is private needs to start teh whole research from the bottom. Watch Zeitgeist or something like that.

Cheers,

Ben

2. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

That not what I was saying. What I was getting at that if the government feels it needs to over ride the RBA for some reason there is a mechanism to do so.

3. Dan

Dan Member

Whats the mechanism do you mean exactly? i'm interested.

I am going to do some research and maybe do another thread on the rba, something I am interesting in.. just downloaded a copy of the Reserve Bank Act, ill start by reading that cover to cover.

4. Silverthorn

It just needs to get the agreement of the GG and then tells the RBA what it wants. The treasurer has to inform the parliment within a week I think as well. Obviously it would be a bombshell if it was to do it and the GG might not agree I guess but it is in the RBA act if needed.

edit

The GG is supposed to consult with the executive council before agreeing.

5. Dan

Dan Member

no issues, i was only asking because i did a lot of research myself and im happy to discuss all sides to understand better..

6. spets1

spets1 New Member

Where did I say Zeitgeist is gospel? It is a good starting point however. Because its very sensionalistic and grabs attention of the uninformed. Thats where I started and have been learning since.

7. Dan

Dan Member

I hear you, i'll read the act. I didn't believe the board decisions needed GC approval?

8. margeandtina

margeandtina Member

My reference to the "Fed" was referring to the so called "Federal Reserve System" as it exists in the USA.

I've tried a la Dan to find out the real scoop on the Reserve Bank of Australia and the wording seems

to me to be pure obfuscation.

Indeed, constitutional scholars infinitely more knowledgable than me on these matters raise serious

concerns about the very status of our constitution itself (which is a clause of a British act of Parliament).

Personally I feel we need to put the power of money directly in the hands of the people.

Just how to do this I do not know but given the status of the constitution I feel it needs to

be achieved via a referendum. Then it stands no matter what the power elites can throw at it.

For mine, let's take over the money power and then we (the people) couldn't care less who

makes the laws (remember that Rothschild quote).

It'll take a bit of time to dig around for some links, I might get to it this weekend.

It's a topic worthy of discussion I feel.

Cheers,
    Mark.

9. Dan

Dan Member

IMO as long as we have a system that has differential advantage there will always be corruption, you may clean things up.. but overtime it get screwed up again, doesn't matter who the names are.. the whole system needs a serious shake up if you ask me, peoples motivation needs to be fundamentally for the benefit of everyone and the environment, not built on competitiveness & self preservation.

10. Silverthorn

Sorry I should type a bit more fully. The Treasurer needs to get the agreement of the Governor General to over ride the RBA policy.

edit

the relevant section is below. reading it again the GG directs the RBA rather than the treasurer directly but much the same thing.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Leg...tattachments/BDD3F40AB5C34B19CA25776D0003052B

hmm. it doesn't take you straight there. It part 11 you need to click on difference of opinion to get to the relevant section.

11. bennybbc

bennybbc Member Silver Stacker

A new thread on the RBA sounds like a good idea, I would be interested to see what comes up.

As for this -

"Where did I say Zeitgeist is gospel? It is a good starting point however. Because its very sensionalistic and grabs attention of the uninformed. Thats where I started and have been learning since."

Try posting something interesting or usefull instead of sugesting I have no idea. You don't know what I have researched and have no grounds to suggest otherwise.
    If you know for a fact that the RBA is private, try posting something to back it up insted of just running you mouth and making yourself look like the one that has to start your whole reasearch from the bottom.

12. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

Go and read the secrecy provisions in the act
    Go and read the distributions of profits in the act

** NONE OF IT *** goes to the aussie tax payer...

try and find a definition of "commonwealth".... it *is not*... "ye ol' good people of this great southern country"

Do your own research... yup! from the act. hidden in plain view my friend.

Yep, it's hard to swallow, i was shocked.

13. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

And if you think proceeds from the RBA go to the government... SHOW ME WHERE IN THE FEDERAL BUDGET THEY TURN UP!

seriously show me, where 4-5% of all commercial loans, mortgages, ie finance, ends up in Goolias budget...

....crickets

14. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

15. hbBear

hbBear New Member

Interesting thread,, thankyou to all for your points and thoughts!

I have read plenty about the US Fed as a private entity and yet despite never reading anything regarding the Aus Fed I had always wondered if it was the same case.

It makes sense. British banking powers developed a central bank when America was first developing, hence the war of independence so america could free itself from the english hold.
    Unfortunate for the US the private central bank returned as the Fed.

Australia was founded by the british so why would they not have installed the same private banking ownership and practices in this country as they did in north america??

Thanks for the references Agauholic, im off to do some reading