How raw can you go?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by TxMoon, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TxMoon

TxMoon New Member

Hello,

I am new to stacking and am stacking primarily for weight though have some other coins and bars that I have bought because I liked them. But my question is, how raw can you go?

I see a lot of videos talking about rather to buy generic rounds, pandas, "kooks", or diversify vs not to diversify. Is there a way to go before that? I saw a video of the US Min making ASEs and they stamp them from silver blanks. Can anyone just buy the silver blanks? What about raw or unprocessed bars?

Thank you,
    TXMoon

2. Noxx

Noxx Member

The problem with silver blanks are that they are not stamped with the purity or any marking so good luck trying validate them and trying to sell them. Just go on ebay and buy some generic buffalo rounds for 25 cents over spot. Can't get much cheaper than that.

TxMoon likes this.
  3. TxMoon

TxMoon New Member

Ok, that makes sense. So you're paying for the validation of the purity "quality" as much as the weight.
    Buffalo Rounds, I'll look into them.

Thank you,

4. It's similar with silver shot.
    A big problem to verify the purity and authenticity when selling it and best avoided by the average stacker.

TxMoon likes this.
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Like any investment, it may be a good idea to diversify.

Have bars and coins that you know folk and dealers will buy without question in your country.

Often coins will increase in numismatic value (Some will not increase or may decrease) along with the increase in metal prices, some become sleeper coins that have little attraction now but "may-be" worth more in later years.

I'd say, it's a good idea, to get to know, what the market wants.

All silver is not equal.

Some folk categorize all bars and bullion in the same category "Silver", that's not correct.

6. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree that all silver are not equal, that is when i finally made a wide range of it. I believe it makes more sense to find what makes you happy.
    However, if you like a stress free stacking, go by the weight and there is little difference for well known low premiums bars in comparison with unprocessed silver.

Holdfast likes this.