How much is a one oz Canadian gold maple worth?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Marsi, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Marsi

Marsi Member Silver Stacker

Hi all, just watched a youtube vid where a bloke called Mark Dice heads out to a Californian pier and plays a game with bypassing people where if they guess the value of the coin ( 1 oz gold maple) within 25 percent either way they win the coin. Anyway some of the answers were hillarious. Anyway, thinking about it and have come to realise that probably 2 percent of the people I know would probably know the price of gold or silver to a relatively accurate degree. How many people that you know do you think would know?
    I found the vid on silver doctors website.

2. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

those videos look highly edited

3. Marsi

I dont dobt that the videos aren't edited- but how many people do you know that would give you a ballpark figure of what an oz of au or ag is worth. I'm sitting at about 2 percent that would know.

4. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

I dont know anyone that couldnt give me a ball park figure . . . I only know liberal voters I dont know any labor voters

5. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

:lol:

6. Marsi

Lol- I asked 6 people today- answers ranged between $300 to $1000- one bloke said 10,000.

7. finchy

finchy New Member

Interesting clip its been around for awhile ..

Funny though,if someone done what Mark Dice did with that maple here in the ghettos
    ,they would get beat up for it - even if it was a fake.
    Some of the lower class know what gold is worth,whereas the middle class have little idea its value just from my observations.

A week ago I thought id show a close friend a 1kg kookaburra coin,i asked him what he thought it was worth ? He thought it was a cool looking drink coaster that you could pick up for $20 in a australian souvenir shop ... We had a lengthy chat after that that left him with a lot of
    questions still :)

8. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

I suspect the percentage of people knowing the value would be higher in Australia than in the US. For one simple reason - all the standard, nightly news programs here (ABC, Channels 7/9/10, SBS) mention the price of oil and gold every single night as part of the finance section. Even the low-brow commercial stations. Whereas in the US, the majority of news broadcasts don't (those on financially-focused cable channels will obviously, but I'm talking about your standard free-to-air news on your local CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox affiliate).

My American wife often remarks to me that we put way more emphasis on finance/economic news in mainstream print, radio and TV media than the US does. And from my experience living in the US, that's true. So you'd get more people in Australia who have at least a rough idea of the value of gold, even if they aren't actively seeking out that information, just because they happen to have the radio on in their car or happened to overhear it at the end of last night's news when they tuned in to get the weather forecast etc.)

Mind you - they only mention gold and oil. Not silver. Australians would be equally clueless about silver.

9. GBN

GBN Member

I have an ASE on my desk at work, only comment it ever gets is 'cool coin, but it must be arkward for americans to carry around dollar coins that are so big'.
    I just say 'yeah, I guess so'

10. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The video is old and proves nothing.

It's like asking a Texan how much a surfboard is worth (and then scoffing because they don't know)...it's just not part of their world.

He's lucky he didn't get clocked and it stolen off him.