How long will we be in lock-down quarantine?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by openeyes, Mar 17, 2020.

1. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sgbuyer likes this.
  2. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

If there is rationing of medical services when multiple people present perhaps they should have some sort of test involved to decide who gets treatment. Something like, are you you a drain on society, low IQ, welfare bogan?

There's been too much survival of the dumbest

3. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Theyve been trying to lock us down but most people arent listening.
    Everyone has the same question. Who pays my rent if I dont work?
    Trump already said it was no big deal and no concern.

4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Thank goodness the NZ govt has come down so hard on this virus and now check to make sure those in isolation are actually doing it.
    He is a quote from NZ police.
    "Police has made contact with 41 individuals with another three people requiring a follow up today when THEY COULD NOT BE REACHED."
    HOW THE F CAN THEY NOT REACH THEM WHEN IN ISOLATION?

Are we to presume they are checking by phone? I bet they are checking by phone and it'll be cellphones and when they hear noise in the back ground from the isolated the isolated will just say all those people talking are on the TV.
    I have talked to the principle at my children's school today and instead of her being resistant like i expected she said "we are uncharted waters and it is upto parents to make what decisions they think are best because with some decisions we only get ONE CHANCE TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE"

I was stoked that she said that and she was more than happy to go to a online teaching set up, though she did not know how that would work just yet.
    In my town we had zero cases and now we have 3 in a couple of days and close contact tracing is in the many hundreds according to officials.

The school that was supposed to be open again tomorrow has now been pushed to Monday and no doubt will be longer than that because IT HAS BEGUN.
    Did everyone here realize that one calendar month ago Italy had just 3 measly cases.
    3 uncontained cases a month ago has transformed into well over 30,000 reported cases and 2500 related deaths.
    Just 30 days from " we have it under control do not panic ",to a raging local epidemic.
    THIRTY BLOODY DAYS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    If countries to bits of lockdown then this will still be raging in months to come, China tried to just contain certain areas and that did not work.
    What worked in China was a complete shutdown of the country.
    Westerners are going to far more resistant to methods used to contain viruses.
    Dunedin students had a party of hundreds last night and when a reporter asked how they were going he said "WE ARE SPREADING COVID19"
    In my country there are so many groups of people that think they are above the rules (like uni students for one) that this will not be easily contained if it is allowed to become a community spread disease.

6. sterling-nz

Well it is done ,kids are out of school for an undetermined amount of time.
    The missus still is going to work but has no person contact and is working from a positive pressure office.
    I imagine many people do not have the option of having a positive pressure room to work from but i guess the negative of having to work in a high risk environment is somewhat evened out by having access to precautionary equipment others do not.

openeyes likes this.
  7. openeyes

Working from home helps

sterling-nz likes this.
  8. openeyes

Just have to get kids out of school. It’s close. Govenment won’t be able to stop it anyway as people are scared. School is terrified or of students leaving as they will be out of a job

9. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

STKR likes this.
  10. openeyes

It’s not a pleasant outlook

minimilled and jultorsk like this.
  11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And to think the Club of Rome report was poo-pooed.

12. sterling-nz

What is more laughable ?
    The beard over the mask or the fact he has on a surgical mask that would protect others from him, but not him from others?
    There is a reason staff at many places have on surgical masks instead of n95 and that is because WE WERE NOT PREPARED and there are not even close to enough n95s for people to use .
    This guy is screening people entering a hospital for goodness sake.
    [​IMG]

Holdfast likes this.
  13. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can wear 2 or 3 pieces of surgical masks. I wore 2 pieces when I popped by the hospital to run a quick errand the other day. Didn't want to use my dozen or so N95. Not recommended if in close contact with infected people.

14. sterling-nz

Serious question.
    IF you are not using your n95s for going into a high risk zone like a hospital then where are you going to be using them?
    I do not want to appear blase but id have considered that one of the times to certainly use them.
    I know we get told that no mask is fine and a surgical mask is just as good but frankly its all BS.
    N95s are not like a special film that keep bad stuff out they are specially designed labyrinths that make it very hard for a contaminant to get in as they get lost with the many many twists and turns ,and that is not a job 2 or 3 surgical masks can do and certainly NOT WITH A BIG FLUFFY BEARD underneath.
    Surgical masks alone would certainly bring this under control though ONLY if every single person wore them ,because then transmission would slow to a halt.

EDIT: i wish there were enough n95s that you did not have to improvise .
    This is seriously bad organization on the part of ALL GOVERNMENTS.
    Those governments that told us everything is fine and we plan for the future could not even have an unlimited number of CHEAP and NON PERISHABLE masks hidden away and forgotten about for a time like this.

minimilled and Holdfast like this.
  15. openeyes

I like to know how they calculated that comparison chart. My research suggests that it is too simplistic to define like this.

In particular school children are going to form a vector mechanism to share out the virus amongst the community. The doubling rate has not yet slowed and will meet or exceed my projections based on 3 days to double number of cases. They say that the increases is just because of increased testing. But just looking at this in a simple way that tells you there are many people in the community how are infected but dont know that. They are currently passing it to others. Pretty naive imho.

Prepare yourselves for a crash landing ahead. I am still thinking a full lockdown by next week looks very likely. However if those in charge lose the plot they may foolishly leave it another week. We will hear statements like - it surprised us how fast it spread - we didn't expect this level of increase.

minimilled and sterling-nz like this.
  16. sterling-nz

The Aus and NZ governments are not smart enough for a complete lockdown before THEY deem necessary, that will come when lots of people start dying.
    Someone needs to do the math for me because on the face of it having this situation where companies are losing employees for quarantine and soon hospital beds will be full to the point of people dying and then a complete shutdown seems even more labour and $$$$$$intensive.

But shutting the country down for 2 weeks and basically having people locked in their homes till all the sick are known and then containing them and letting the country run INTERNALLY again while clamping down on new arrivals and potential carriers.

If i have a leaky pipe i can just keep cleaning up the mess it makes ,say a month and then it eventually breaks and causes catastrophic damage.

OR i could just shut down the pipe as soon as i see it leaking and pay whatever it costs to replace.
    Sure in the first instance there is a chance the pipe will never break and i will always be able to clean up the little mess.

I think governments really do not want to do anymore than they are forced too and a LOCKDOWN for a maybe would need a brave leader.

I do not think any country has done it but we should be looking at Singapore and and copying exactly what they have done.
    Singapore does not have a huge population but whatever they have done could be instituted by states or counties on a coordinated basis.

The problem also is people need to live and eat so the government would have to print $$$$$$ to pay for that and not forget the poor often overlooked self employed folk who always seem to get F'd in the A.

EDIT: to clarify >>>no country to my knowledge has locked down to prevent a problem, i know countries have locked down after they have a problem.

openeyes likes this.
  17. openeyes

We know the lockdown in Singapore and now China has been effective in substantially reducing new infection. The question is how much business could be done after that reduction in infected numbers.

The Australian Government wants to keep the economy going. The LNP has had that as their core tenant for decades so they will not be able to see beyond that. They will not lockdown until people are dying in numbers as you say much like China. Be here is the rub and the LNP knows it - the lockdown will have to be substantially in place for at least 12 months. They are saying six to be hopeful but there is little likelihood of things being over in six months (1-2% imho).

They are caught by their own ideological position. Sadly this will affect us the voters. I would say at the end of this there will be a number of human rights court cases and politicians may well be in the line up.

For now take preemptive steps to protect your family because no one else can truly take responsibility for this. Listen to the advice but make your own informed decision.

sterling-nz and heartastack like this.
  18. heartastack

heartastack Active Member Silver Stacker

What it will take is not just people dying by to die without dignity. When you don’t have the downstream resources to deal with the dead things get very traumatic very quickly

minimilled and sterling-nz like this.
  19. openeyes

Yes my post about my Grandmother during the Spanish Flu noted that people were literally putting bodies out on the street to be picked up.

That was in NZ.

I would be surprised if we don't at least experience what the Italians are - dead people at home and no one coming to pick them up.

This is why we need extreme measures to restrict the numbers of infected people so that we can maintain at least a modicum of civility albeit at the cost of the economy.

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What you can do is get more sunshine and hence vitamin D.
    The Northern and Southern hemisphere fllu seasons are directly linked to exposure to UVB and the bodies production of vitamin D.
    Try this:
    Get your body in good shape by getting your liver healthy.
    Get off the booze (Give your liver time to heal)
    Avoid sugar as excess sugar and carbohydrate will give you a fatty liver (Give your liver time to heal)
    Avoid pain killers and other over the counter pills that harm your liver (Give your liver time to heal)
    Get adequate exposure to sunshine so that your skin can absorb UVB and your body (Liver and Kidneys) will convert it to vitamin D.
    A healthy liver, adequate amounts of vitamin D, a good intake of vegetables high in vitamin C and exercise (walking at a brisk pace) will help your bodies immune system get in shape.
    If we do go into lock-down, get sunshine everyday or your D levels will be reduced dramatically.
    If you have time, get your blood tests done but more importantly, ask for a Liver function test; by doing so you'll be able to research what condition your liver is in.

Next
    If you have a protruding belly, are overweight and have lots of adipose tissue, you can bet you have a fatty liver. You are putting strain on your Pancreas, Liver and heart and causing lots of inflammation.
    Now is the time to ensure you are reasonably healthy.
    There's not much point prepping if you haven't tried to prep yourself.
    Best to all.
    H