How liquid are YOUR pandas?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Dandan, Oct 24, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I usually do not sell my pandas but the few I have sold went quickly.

As I have stated before, unfortunately Australia is light years behind the rest of the world in numismatics, not just pandas but numismatics in general.

When you go into a "coin store" and the owner is concerned with fake slabs that's a problem. He obviously does not even know what a graded coin is and I would stay away from dealers with such a low level of knowledge in numismatics.

As far as fake pandas, this subject has been discussed many times as well. Counterfeits are prevalent with any collectible whether it be coins, sports memorabilia, art or antiques. It does take a little research but the risk of counterfeits is extremely low once you establish reputable sellers and gain some knowledge of what you are buying. Pandas are not the most counterfeited coin in the world as you may have been led to believe. Many coins of high value are regularly counterfeited the buyer just needs to have some knowledge of what he is buying and who he is buying it from.

I have purchased one fake and that was in the first few weeks of my collecting. Basically I purchased a $3,000 coin for $100 so I should have sensed something and known better.

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is truly a pleasure to have you around Comeux! Your wealth of knowledge in Pandas and numismatic coins is extremely valuable to us in the Panda Forum.

Many thanks!

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Solid as I type, but liquidity is only as far away as my shed, where my torch and crucible sit LOL.
    I imagine I'd have to sell mine on ebay or maybe an online retailer, so I'd say about 10 days to turn pandas back into greenbacks

4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

And sure everyone is arguing that the dealers won't take them, but how many people on here sell their stack to dealers anyway, whether it be ASEs, Lunars or Pandas.

Selling privately on this forum or eBay etc is where you get the best returns, as the dealers need to be buying at prices where they make profits.

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Especially Brick & Mortar ones, at least here in Atlanta.
    AMPEX & Kitco pay decently and Monarch buys their own product back for 99% of spot which is awesome for a dealer IMO

6. Mohur

Mohur New Member

I don't really plan on selling any of my pandas, but and important valid question raised!

7. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I'll buy all your non-numismatic silver at 85% all day long :). Beats the bricks and mortars paying 50-70%!

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Then you could resell it to AMPEX for an instant 5% profit...good idea.
    Now if you lived near Atlanta and I didn't want to wait 10-12 days, then sure I'd sell to you if I needed fast cash.

9. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Great, let me know when that happens. </sandy springs>

10. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

No wayyyy. Lol, my wife's from Roswell. We live out West past Six Flags in Douglasville. What a small, small world. I'd actually rather sell you some silver and have a good dude have it than AMPEX. Plus I always have to sell over a grand to them. Sometimes I only need a few hundred.
    Wow, that is wild you live there! Have you considered starting a local Panda club? You'd be the perfect person to run it. I'd join, but I don't know another soul who collects anything LOL, but we could advertise, Facebook, coin shows, etc.

11. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I've thought about it, but like you I don't know anyone who collects them.