How Can I Find Out For Sure

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by ZaidaBoBaida, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

My mom "gave" me a 1904 Liberty Head coin to sell for her - or buy over time. Anyway, I took it to our preferred coin dealer today, and he said it is counterfeit. He says it is probably 18 karot gold instead of 22, but it is counterfeit. So, we took it to the other dealer that we sometimes go too - and didn't say anything about the other guy saying it was counterfeit, and he didn't say anything about it being counterfeit. So, how can I find out if it's legit or not?

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

very easy-take it to a dealer with XRF machine and get it tested...

3. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

XRF won't detect a jeweler copy that is 22kt gold. Those are such copies are common with sovs and old pre1933 USA gold coins which have numi value (reason #8279 why numi is not wise for most ppl to delve into). You would need someone, probably a collector or dealer, with loupes and verified legit comparison coin(s) and expertise to be able to discern the difference.

...Why don't you just sell to the second shop you went to if you don't want the coin and that dealer thinks/knows it is legit?

ZaidaBoBaida likes this.
  4. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

I told my mom about our local guy saying it's counterfeit. So, she wants me to bring it back to VA when I go down next, and we'll bring it to the place she bought it from. If they say it's counterfeit - she still has the receipt where she bought it. So, they'd have some 'splainin' to do.