How 'busy' is the market for jewellery?

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by Pirocco, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

About 20% of all the sold silver gets sold as jewelry, the 2004-2012 jewellery year-average is 184 Moz, while for coins it's just 68 Moz.
    Even the recordhigh coin sales of recent years are just over half the jewellery amount.
    So I wonder, since the market is much bigger, is it also more 'busy'?
    I mean, is the selling/buying also much bigger than the coin selling/buying?
    So far I never paid attention to it, so I have no clue.

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Thats some amazing stats imo.. so hard to imagine its even possible.

I guess jewelers are just hoarding unless, BRICs (brasil, russia, india, china) are going mad buying silver jewelry just don't see it.. in Australia it would seem like hardly anyone buys silver jewelry just a few grams here and there..

3. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

I work in a jeweller part time... Lots of people buy it for cheaper gifts... We have limited stock but every day someone comes to ask or buy. Also, we have foxtel and the tv shopping network is filled with silver and it is always "sold out" so lots of people like it.

4. zurnaik

zurnaik Member

Wha? Jewellery is HUGE. Every large shopping center I've been to in Australia has 6-10 jewellery retail stores. They're basically the only one keeping the malls open...

5. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I several times considered to buy some jewellery, but the problem is that the nonsilver part of the cost is so variable and hard to measure. I sometimes wonder how jewellers determine a price, must require lotsa experience and probably expensive tools to measure/verify the material.

6. aussiecollectables

aussiecollectables Member Silver Stacker

I do markets and have sold on eBay
    Silver jewellery is bread and butter , without silver items in my stall I would not get the attention I have
    Although I collect and buy often as possible estate, antique and designer items For me it's a must as I am a trader
    Then you got the collectors who hold on to items or as you say hoard this can back fire on you
    What do u want to speculate on exactly?

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

we really are missing out :lol:

[​IMG]

8. torresjewel

torresjewel New Member

i love jewellery and now want as a new & latest traditional jewellery for my b day's party occasion.

9. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought around 7 kg at auction not so long ago and have been "slowly" selling it ever since. As I don't have a stall my sales have been through here, Ebay and locally to a few people I know. Lots of work with jewelry when compared to bullion. Photos of each type, cataloguing of each type, tracking how many are left of each type!!!! They also do not stack well and take up a huge amount of space for the weight. BUT from what I have seen the markups per gram can be quite amazing...... Though I haven't been realising that part so well. Anyway if anyone wants some here is what's left :) Bulk discounts available!
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-53775-for-sale-bangle-bracelets-and-necklaces-all-new.html

[​IMG]

10. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

I acquired a heap of non precious metal jewellery today. All sorts of shit, woops I meant items.
    New and in the plastic.
    Not real sure what to do with it?
    Anyone want a look, take some pics tomorrow if so?
    I don't want much for it.

11. wildwood

wildwood New Member

HI
    I am wildwood and new here but have been doing this for a long long time. I find your jewellery posts interesting
    When I buy I buy for weight hallmark when ever possible beauty and it's being rare and unusual I also look at if they have more than one use as well.
    IE could a sterling ornate heavy ring also serve as a scarf ring. This way your back is covered even if silver goes down your covered in other directions.
    Oh yes and what country silver smithing is coming from Russian workmanship will always be up front.

Keep in mind though if need to sell quickly they will not take this into consideration or the diamonds or precious stones in them but as we all know that is a bonus to the scrap buyer or dealer.

But do agree and have always known platinum is the way to go.

12. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Once heard a manager of a Westfeid say you can never have enough jewellery stores or shoe shops.' Not quite sure what that says about our spending habits but interesting non the less.