How bad are milk spots on maple leaf 2016?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Neoag, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Neoag

Neoag New Member

Hello all,

I am a total noob to stacking. I have heard many people say about milk spots on coins like the maple leaf 2016 I have seen videos on YouTube but I have not seen any good quality pictures. How much does it affect the price of the silver content? Can they be wiped off? Is it better for a newbie to pay a little more for tube and get some American eagle or Britannia?

Thanks in advance and sorry I know this must have been asked many times I tried to search and found no good threads.

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

If you want something cheap and playing the spot game, and want a silver coin that has liquidity, I say these are fine, although I think the Eagles are better if you can get them for he same price. I'm a semi numi stacker (Perth Mint, Pandas), and don't buy the Eagles or Maples...sure they cost more, but less volatile against spot price over the short and long term...especially the long term.

3. Neoag

Neoag New Member

Thanks for the reply. When I stared looking in to investing in silver and gold I just wanted buy any but after a few weeks of research I also like the look of the coins. I am also wanting to do a long term investment not like some waiting and selling in a couple of years. I am not thinking of selling in a very long time more like 10-30 years. I love the look of the maples but I have not seen any pictures of the milk spots so can't see if they take away from the enjoyment of having them in my collection.

4. whay

whay Well-Known Member

>I love the look of the maples but I have not seen any pictures of the milk spots so can't see if they take away from the enjoyment of having them in my collection.<

If you enjoy admiring the maple leaf design, stick to Gold ML. The sight of milk spots on SML will make you stop buying any silver BU coins from RCM. It so bad that I got a creepy feel being near a tube with yellow cap! :(

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. Neoag

Neoag New Member

7. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Once they get milkspots, they lose premium. It is still worth spot.

I actually ended up with a few, even though I didn't specifically buy maples.
    I put up a WTB thread here for 999 silver at spot, that I didn't care if it was milky or otherwise damaged ie nicked etc
    since I was going to melt it, so didn't care.

With maples, and it develops spots, you lose the premium you paid. Even worse, spoting can occur over a year after you buy them fresh from mint.

8. Neoag

Neoag New Member

Thank you! I think I have all the information I need for what I am going to purchase :)

9. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Stay away from Perth Kangaroo, phila and Britannia too.
    These coins are notorious for lactating. I have one of each just for designs sake. The spotting is so bad that i removed them from the capsules. I figured they didn't need the protection anyway. Absolute zero QC!

10. Neoag

Neoag New Member

So Philharmonic and Britannia are out damn only really leave eagles as a cheap option.

11. Neoag

Neoag New Member

How do the mints her away with selling silver they know will spot?

12. whay

whay Well-Known Member

It may surprised you - they said it is just bullion and they don't care sh@t. Yet they are charging a higher premium. For value stacking I rather buy 1 oz and 10 oz bars.

13. Neoag

Neoag New Member

But if they go to all that effort to produce such a nice looking coin why make shortcuts on how they will age! Could it be because it's 9999 and is more pure? Also if some one was looking just to have it as silver would the milk marks hurt ghe silver content of sold only and silver?

14. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

long story Neoag. Lots of past history logged on this site. Just search 'white spots.' It's the main reason why most of my purchases have been gold lately, even with the GSR so high. I just can't justify the premiums. I have bought Perth Mint Lunars, Kooks, and Chinese Pandas. It's the only silver I'll buy. And unfortunately these have tended to have issues with spotting. At some point there will be enough impact that these mints will clean up their act. Maybe when everyone moves to gold (1/10, 1/20, etc...)...they'll clean up. But I'm not holding my breath. I haven't even looked at my kooks or lunars in years. They are locked away. Kind of scary to think they could be leveled with spots. It was one of the main reasons I went with the kilo lunars, because spot price was so low (at times as low as 1.79 per ounce over spot). So even if it did get turd spots, the most I'd lose is that 1.79 premium, not the 6.00 premium as in the case with Pandas or 5 dollars with the lunars. simply crazy that they charge that much over spot, and still have issues with spotting. Lunars and Kooks less so, but the images are out there!! Stick with gold. :) I wish I had. God only knows who many ounces of gold I'd have. sigh.

15. Neoag

Neoag New Member

You do have a good point I am seriously thinking of only gettin one tube of Eagles and some gold! Instead of 2 tubes of eagles

16. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I would not even consider maples. The spotting is horrible and it does not pay to take a risk with so many other options out there. Yes, they are just bullion but who knows what will be collectible in the future...at the very least I would like the chance to have purchased something with appreciation beyond just the metal value. Spots remove that chance so I removed myself as a buyer of maples.

17. whay

whay Well-Known Member

18. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Q please,

Do ASEs etc get milk spots etc in the dark buried regions of an air conditioned Big4 bank vault in deepest Collins Street?

OC

19. Canadian Stacker

Canadian Stacker New Member

With all the milk spotted Maples out there I'd say pristine Maples could become desirable in the future. Ever think that mint SML's could be hard to find some day?

20. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If a 2016 Silver Maple has not spotted, does this mean it will never spot? I’m considering whether to buy a batch of 2016 maples from a local seller.