How advanced is the State's tracking of you.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by JulieW, Apr 3, 2020.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I saw this snippet and it opened up the question of how closely we are tracked, phone traces, activity trails and etc.

Another outcome of this Corona Crisis may be institutionalised tracking systems to keep us in our designated channels. It may have taken this virus to uncover the mechanisms in place for future controls.

[​IMG]
    Ghim-Lay [email protected]

This is how seriously Singapore takes contact tracing in the fight against COVID-19 - My dad, a taxi driver in Singapore, said his friend recently drove a passenger who subsequently tested positive. Hours within the ride, Singapore's health ministry called him on his cell phone

3:54 AM - Apr 2, 2020
    At the time of the London riots I remember being surprised at the feat of arresting 17,000 hoodie wearing vandals in the weeks following. London's cameras are quite sharp.

Meanwhile Singapore has some quiet and effective mechanisms in place.

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5 eyes, other people are authorized to monitor your citizens and they do shared information on clouds
    5G would have kill this collaborations
    but covid19 is few generations ahead

3. Lustre

Lustre Member

It was easy for police to triangulate a person’s mobile phone a decade ago. Laws were passed in the last few years in Australia to allow a large number of agencies direct warrantless access to metadata, search histories, bank account statements, phone calls, messages, possibly also historical GPS data.

It is only a short bridge to real time tracking by mobile phone, with all the above. I would not be surprised to learn this will be adopted, if not already. I think it is in Israel.

As it stands, I know one police check for quarantine was at least at face value, a phone call made by the police, announcing they would be there in 5 minutes, please go to the front of the property and verify you are there.

This does not discount the possibility that the police officer had already confirmed the location and recent GPS history (although I doubt it).

It may be that the legislation is for once ahead of the technological capacity, if only due to under resourcing.

Holdfast likes this.
  4. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

put your phone on a cab, sit back and watch the action.

STKR and Shaddam IV like this.
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Caches
    If you haven't already got your caches established in the bush, your window of opportunity has closed or is closing rapidly, it won't be long before walking tracks, fire trails etc are monitored by drones; gone will be the days of rangers spending countless hours in 4x4's in National Parks, water catchments etc. Drones will probably fill this role. Cameras are already common in National Parks etc (A few less now after the bush fires) :D And Mr. Google and the spies above................................... :eek:

6. sodl

sodl Active Member

A friend told me last year that he carried out certain work on a massive data collection facility that was being constructed in Sydney area.

7. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Federal Govt has been at this caper for years. There was the 1980's "Telecom Exchange" at Deakin in Canberra no one was allowed into and the building at St Leonards - Sydney around the same time. Just google "Echelon project Australian Government" and "Inslaw".

They have been at it for years listening to telephone calls / intercepting faxes back in the day, no email, text too and your mobile phone and computer.

sodl and Shaddam IV like this.
  8. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

XB likes this.
  9. metalzzz

A chip is not necessary once CCTV at this level is installed. Once a phone is needed for payments and this level of surveillance is here. Game over

10. Ag bullet

^the govts of the world must have the worst case of blue balls waiting to roll this out.

metalzzz likes this.
  11. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

We unwittingly forfeit so much information with our smart phones, every time you select "I agree" to the terms and conditions of almost any given app or website, every time you make a bank transaction, whenever you drive past a facial recognition camera mounted above the freeway or walk past one in the street.

Ag bullet, Oddjob and XB like this.
  12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13. metalzzz

As long as you are aware, you know what to do with your phone.

Ag bullet and willrocks like this.
  14. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am becoming more imnclined to leave my phone at home now, I have a work one on a work plan that I need, otherwise one of those phone blocking bags is the go.

willrocks and Stoic Phoenix like this.
  15. Ag bullet

XB and metalzzz like this.
  16. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Much more advanced that you think.
    We know where every one of our customer is and where they were at any given moment of time... so we can bill them.

17. metalzzz

Exactly. But I prefer to use a faraday case

18. Timmy88

Timmy88 Member Silver Stacker

Data centers... I have worked in many, they are sprouting up at an alarming rate, in the west side of Melbourne I know of 4, a 5th one is having piles sunk now for its footings, an expansion of next DC at port melb is also underway, the power consumption is mind blowing, the sites are specifically chosen where the power infrastructure as been set up, usually newer estates that also have cold store facilities. The back up generators for one data center consist of 10 x 40 foot container converted to house monster gen sets, Id like to walk around one with an EMF meter, Id bet it's off the chart.

Timmy