Hong Kong and Hong Kongs Future

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mrsilverservice, Jul 2, 2019.

1. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

President Xi is not 'Happy JEn'

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mark today as the day for the independence of Hong Kong or China seizing control of Hong Kong

note: the police being kicked on the ground by the protesters, when another police draws the gun and rushes in.

Deaths will follow soon.

willrocks likes this.
  3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They can move to Singapore. The world has an alternative Asian financial centre. Cheaper rental and cheaper food and zero protests.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I haven’t been to Singapore but I found food and beer in Honkers to be pretty cheap really.

And Hong Kong is a beautiful place, lovely walks and deserted beaches.

7. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've seen the night skylines of every major city you can name, but watching the lights of Hong Kong and Kowloon by night never gets old.

[​IMG]

8. sgbuyer

I'm not a drinker but beer and cigarettes are highly taxed in Singapore, but food is cheaper in Singapore comparatively, although quality is lower and portion is smaller. It has to be cheaper otherwise how will food industry workers earning SGD5-8 per hour afford to eat? McDonalds is cheaper in HK though. Fast food in Singapore is now becoming a premium product.

HK is nice to travel to for a short trip or short work stincts, but for longer stay, Singapore is better overall. Both cities are no good for retirement, but in Singapore, there is an option to hop over to Malaysia or Indonesia, both 2-hours away by car/boat, which are fantastic retirement/holiday places.

HK is more hectic and fastpaced than Singapore so while wages are higher, the amount of effort required to earn the same amount of salary is much higher in HK. I would say up to 30-50% more effort just to earn that same 1 US dollar.

Long term, Singapore has a better future than HK because ASEAN is progressing and uniting both economically, socially and politically, even Vietnam and Myanmar/Burma are slowly progressing. Short to medium term there will be political issues within the ruling party as different factions struggle for power.

The 2018 Malaysian general election in which the ruling coalition of 60 years is overthrown in a free election is very important for Singapore, ASEAN and in fact the rest of the world. It shows that real democracy in Asia won't lead to chaos. This is an extremely positive development for ASEAN and Singapore.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    jultorsk and mmm....shiney! like this.
  9. mmm....shiney!

Maccas? I only found myself in Maccas in HK coz they were the only place that could make coffee well. There’s Starbucks too at a pinch I suppose, just have issues with them. But I get your meaning, fast food is becoming a premium product, especially premium fast food.

I hope so. The 2018 election could be a real boon for Malaysia. When we were there I found some of the Malays to be unnervingly nationalist, something that is not great for prosperity especially as it relegates non-Malays down the pecking the order. Spent an entertaining night in the Portuguese settlement near Malacca talking to Portugese descendants from the merchants that traveled there over 600 years ago. They weren’t real forthcoming with praise for their Malay neighbours. :p

Speaking of nationalism, I think this is what Xi is trying to foster in China as well.

10. sgbuyer

Do you mean racial? From my observation, even Malaysian malays are more similar to Singaporean Chinese than they are to someone from outside ASEAN, regardless of race. The Malaysian identity is actually stronger than what most believe it to be. Malaysia had been multi-racial even from the founding of the Malay sultanates and are made up of people from different parts of Indonesia, from India and China.

11. mmm....shiney!

I’ll be blunt, they used the political system to disadvantage non-Malays.

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Moving to another country isn't always possible. Getting residency is either expensive, or a long drawn out process with a lot of red-tape (i.e. might need a job offer first). But it's probably an option for wealthy HK citizens.

I'm not sure whether asylum laws would cover HK people, because many governments are afraid of China and are labeling HK people as 'protesters' or 'trouble makers'.

13. sgbuyer

You do know that Malaysia is actually a top destination to buy a safe haven home for PRC and HK people?

Ironically, the Chinese in Malaysia and Singapore are descendents of political and economic refugees that fled chaos in their original homeland.

14. mmm....shiney!

A true democracy doesn’t legislate based upon ethnic backgrounds. I’ll look forward in the hope the new government is more liberal. Being a Muslim nation doesn’t help mind you.

15. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

17. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

a taxi driver rammed the freedom separatist, in response the separatist beat the taxi driver till he understood what democracy and freedom means.

Some great pix of taxi driver bleeding semi unconscious.

What I don’t get is the taxi driver, if he was going to do it, he should have the conviction to floor the pedal, at least he could have taken few out permanently and the same goes to the Chinese beating him, why stop before he is dead?

18. mmm....shiney!

7F0D1ACA-1CCA-4460-92D1-276D79A2BD80.jpeg Would ordinarily go in my lifestyle thread except the model doesn’t fit the demographic.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  19. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is going to blow up and it's going to be terrible for Hong Kong and make the rest of Asia (and Australia) realise what is in store for them when China builds it's military further.

A Can Of Worms.jpg

jultorsk likes this.
  20. mmm....shiney!

If China is broke can they build a superior military force?

Edit to add: but then Mosler would probably counter that sovereign nations can’t go broke

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019