Hong Kong and Hong Kongs Future

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mrsilverservice, Jul 2, 2019.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Public good refers to the concept that governments can override the needs of the individual in the interest of the majority. Now that doesn't mean that the public good is necessarily "good" when that strategy is employed by the State, it's just an excuse to control and submit. There's really not much good associated with it. It's not based on reason but on sacrifice. Xi justifies the draconian policies by arguing that it's in the best interest of China ie the public good to pursue certain policies. And while the Chinese people witness a continuing rise in their level of prosperity, they're subservient enough to play along. When the Chinese economy falters, then the people will be a threat to the State. So Xi is setting up backstops in an attempt to prevent this should the economy fail.

Nice. o_O

Ipv6Ready likes this.
  2. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, Singapore is a bit of everything. Legalism as well as the law is very strict more so than China. Confucianism in Singapore only exists in the government as family ties in Singapore are weak, in comparison to the rest of Asia. Confucianism when applied to the State draws a line between the ruling class (government/party) and people and has a government scholar system. Of course, Confucianism has many flaws and stifles creativity. It will fail for a much bigger country.

I wouldn't say that Singapore is a police state, it's more like a corporation or school where there are rules for everything and punishment for breaking rules.

Do you mean something like this? For info, cna is government owned. Suing into bankruptcy no longer work today because of social media and fb.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...d-graffiti-lee-hsien-loong-hong-kong-12093800

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    mmm....shiney! likes this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

Growing up we viewed some of your laws with incredulity, kind of like being being under the control of some old Victorian nanny. Of course Australia nowadays is a vastly different country, full of people who lap up State control as a means to fill the void in their lives.

4. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In your estimation how bad would the economy have to falter before collapse.
    I doubt you are implying a mere recession will lead to people overthrowing the government.

If you look at North Korea the numbers would need to greater than many millions of people dying of starvation and hundreds of millions starving or would it lower threshold.

5. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. sgbuyer

Do you mean BDSM fetish? Just find a partner who can spank you if you like to be controlled. Or join a religion with all sorts of regulations like the Church of the Latter Day Saints. Ironically, this is from the USA. Rules like no coffee, tea, alcohol, etc. Luckily in Singapore, coffee is not banned, otherwise I won't be able to survive.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  7. alor

8. Ipv6Ready

throwing a brick across the street during a mob riot is quite easy to do... the guy knew the brick was going to land on the street harmlessly.

compare that to the pro democracy Hong Kong Chinese who mobbed Chinese envoy in London this morning. That is a targeted attack and everyone involved knew 100% who she was and why they attacked her

9. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I would imagine that if "protestors" were behaving the same way in Oz the local police would be responding heavier than they are in HK.

The "rules" people follow in a religion like LDS are voluntary. Not imposed by the State. Big difference.

sgbuyer likes this.
  10. mmm....shiney!

Not a chance.

I'm not sure why you're defending the actions of the Chinese. The communist Chinese are bad people. When bad things happen to bad people it doesn't give them the moral high ground to behave in any manner they like.

11. mmm....shiney!

Nah I don't want to be controlled. We just valued our freedoms more than the Singaporeans did at the time. We understood that in a free country you have to allow people some free rein even if the way some dress, or wear their hair, or pierce their noses, or chew gum may offend. Of course we'd rather not see litter in the streets, but sterile communities inhabited by zombie civilians and social control is even less desirable.

That's all changed now. We're a high-vis PC nanny state where maintaining public order is more important than liberty. A nation of uptight frumps (haha listen to me whining, I'm not a frump though :p) suffering from moral outrage mania. We can thank John Howard for setting that train motion with his anti-terror policies, "be alert not afraid". What a twat he was.

Social media does its part in promoting the outrage as well. Not to mention the public broadcaster and basically the sham that is democracy. If people want to have mass drug-fuelled orgies in privately owned streets then bring it on! I'm an ancap, they'll have my support. But I'll go bike riding or for a run instead.

Uptight non-frumpy rant over.

12. mmm....shiney!

I think that the difference between the two countries is that in China there's a higher degree of ownership of property and goods. Nth Koreans are povos basically, the Chinese are not. I'm not sure on details, it'll probably have something to do with Chinese banks collapsing and the end of China's credit fuelled surge in living standards we've witnessed since the Great Recession.

13. alor

[​IMG]
    The presidential suite (320 sq m) and other rooms at Hong Kong’s plush Mandarin Oriental Hotel have been booked from earlier this month to November 30.

In the past week of intense rioting and Black Terror, blackshirts have been spotted on the terraces of those facilities (photo below).

The rooms were booked by a law firm, Arnold & Porter, which does not have offices in Hong Kong. The former head of the firm’s National Security Practice is Jeffrey Smith (photo under Comments below). He is also erstwhile General Counsel of the CIA.

14. sgbuyer

I know but what if the state is a religion? There's a reason why communists always crackdown on religions.

15. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

And now officially in an recession amid protests at the same time.

16. Ipv6Ready

they are Disney executives

17. alor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  18. alor

19. Ipv6Ready

Imagine the pain of running a small business around protest sites. By now surely all the staff have been let go, digging deep into savings to pay the lease on the shop, pay the mortgage and put food on the table.

When all the saving is used than bankruptcy.

‘For tens of thousands of middle class Hong Kong families this will be financial ruin, sure some will say fighting for democracy was worth it..... some won’t.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  20. sgbuyer

The HK people are really expecting the worst. Most of the PRC around me are still clueless, still living in dreamland. They don't know what is about to come. One of them just told me property prices in China will never drop regardless of how the economy does.