Home robbery in Brisbane

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Lunty, Jan 1, 2014.

1. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Start a new thread monkey man, instead of bombing this one with ayes, ohh and ahhs

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

3. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

This thread provides some insight into what I can do to protect myself better ( and Lunty, I surely do feel sorry for you regarding this horrid criminal act).
    I don't have the criminal mindset or focus, that others do. I need to sharpen up a bit. I'm too trusting at times.

My home has been broken into by thieves (a few years ago). I live in Sydney in an area (and there are multiple areas in Sydney) with it's fair share of drug addicts (unfortunately) so I know the score.
    I have little doubt, the break in involved drug addicts. They stole my old sneakers amount other things.WTF!!!!. (no metals stolen as they are not kept at home)
    Because of the drug addicts and crime, I take precautions. Obviously, I don't keep metals at home (I wouldn't if I lived elsewhere too FWIW). They are in a professional secure facility.

An acquaintance claimed he had approx $18,000 - $20,000 worth of metals stolen in Sydney from his home years ago (as per my prior post in this thread).

Just to say..I'm learning here despite the gut wrenching circumstance..so thanks everyone.

4. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I have always blocked the Trades function and I suspect many do.
    Maybe something to consider?

5. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

shit, the robber took it!

Lunty is a real person, sadly the gold were taken, silver too

:(

it can be someone overheard his talking, and can be someone live nearby, else who would know he was away?

6. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

NYE. Half of Brisbane would have been away.

7. Silver Foxie

Silver Foxie New Member

Oh man, that is awful. I really feel for you. Surely this must highlight to everyone though the dangers of keeping your stuff at home. When you look at the cost of storing somewhere like Reserve Vault it really is worth it for the peace of mind. You don't have to worry about either losing your hard earned stack or putting your safety in danger. Hope you catch these b$@#$%'s!

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Why does that read like an ad.

9. millededge

millededge Active Member

There are a number of possibilities if the thieves use SS.

There is the over-arching possibility that the site is compromised in some way. The likelihood of this might be raised if all of those robbed on this site have traded and posted their personal address in messaging.

Next, it would be helpful to get a sense of all the robberies that have happened to users of this site all in one place, with some brainstorming, perhaps in a dedicated thread if appropriate, to see if there are common elements. The bulk of the home invasions seem to be Qld, several seem to involve home safes, large quantities of metal and 3 that come to mind here have traded on SS.

Another possibility is the group meets...

A final is the safes themselves to see if they are a common type or use common installation companies or even the names of the employees involved.

10. silvermed

silvermed New Member

One of the benefits of storing it in the Singapore Precious Metals Exchange is the FULL insurance. http://www.SGPMX.com

I'm still a believer in having a little at home for "situations that may arise" but when you have bigger values diversification and proper security is a must.

11. Q.

Q. New Member

Guardian in Sydney is pretty damn amazing. Took a tour the other day and there ain't a chance in hell even an armed troop could get in.

Custodian on the other hand is easier to get into than a brothel at lunchtime. The vault stays open all day and the only barrier between the open vault (and you putting your stuff in it) is a standard glass sliding door and the elevator. Also no plan or private rooms if two people are there at the same time. I was surprised as I thought it would be better.

Rates are about the same too.

12. Bit Baron

Bit Baron Member

Q, What makes Guardian 'amazingly' more secure than Custodian?

Don't banks keep their vault doors open during business hours since there are other security measures in place, such as silent alarms, video surveillance, arm guards and multiple number of locked doors that need to be passed through to gain access to the vault?

13. theReserveVault

theReserveVault New Member

After discussions with Mr Lunt, Reserve Vault in Brisbane is donating 6 months free storage in one of our Bullion Locker Safes for his use.

Reserve Vault commends City Gold Bullion and all participating bullion dealers for managing donations to Mr Lunt to help him back onto his feet and sends its best wishes to Mr Lunt for a speedy recovery after such a cruel blow. We welcome any enquiry from any members about securing your stack and extend our offer of 30% off any Safe Deposit Box unit. Safes at home don't just risk your property, they risk you and your family's personal safety.

14. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

Sounds great!!......Do you extend that to existing SSForum members AND existing customers of the Vault??;)

15. Q.

Q. New Member

Go to both and see for yourself. Sign up with the one you like best. I don't care.

16. theReserveVault

theReserveVault New Member

The offer extends to anyone seeing this and opening a new Safe Deposit Box account at Reserve Vault.

17. Lunty

Lunty New Member Silver Stacker

Hi Stackers

Sorry I haven't been on for a bit, but it's good to see the discussion continuing. Once again I'd like to thank everyone on Silver Stackers for their support, it has been unbelievable. I'd like to thank Reserve Vault for their offer and a huge thanks to City Gold, other supporting dealers and the members who have donated (http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...olen-bullion-collecting-donations-page-1.html). It has meant so much to me, words can't express how much I appreciate it.

There have been really dark days, not only for me but also for my partner whose sense of security has been shattered. This community truly has amazing people and all the support has helped lift both of our spirits, and I am glad to be a part of it.

I always think that you have to look at the positive side of life, things could be worse, I thank god that I'm not an English cricket supporter :p

Safe stacking

Lunty