home poured odd weights?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ag bullet, May 3, 2014.

1. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

been getting into refining scrap and pouring some bars. i've found it quite difficult to get close to the right weight after it's poured. either it comes out underweight and i have to repour, wasting time, gas and silver or overweight and i have to spend considerable time sanding and polishing down to weight. i know home pours don't sell as easily because of the 'unassayed' issue but do you think it would be harder again if they weren't nice round weights like whole or half ounces or round metric weights? it would be much quicker to pour a bar, giving it a quick sand and a polish then stamp it at whatever it turned out be. there tends to be noticable loss of silver when you have to muck around trying to hit weight because of the repouring or excessive sanding.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are unique pours, not conforming to any standard dimensions so why stick to the standard weights? Most people have a calculator and can work out the value of them, when I set out to buy something I usually have a dollar amount in mind to spend, not a specific number of ounces or grams.
    You can produce an interesting bar and give it a nice finish then just stamp the exact weight on the bar and see if it sells, after a month, if it is still on your shelf, you might want to have a go at fixing the weight.

3. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

An odd weight wouldn't put me off buying a home pour- as long as it was stamped correctly and priced accordingly.

4. Ag bullet

cool. sounds as if there wouldn't be too much objection to odd ball weights. i don't intend on selling in the near future but i will have to one day.

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Same. Though I'd always be a bit wary as I remember reading on here about some backyard pourer who didn't realize the difference between the types of ounce so was weighing them in avoirdupois but selling them at a Troy ounce price. I mean, like, hello?

6. Ag bullet

so do you reckon i could weigh it in grains and sell it as grams? that could be quite lucrative! :p