Holden v Ford... etc

Discussion in 'Silver' started by rml978, Dec 9, 2010.

1. rml978

rml978 Member

Hello,

New to site and new to the PM game, although I did rush out and grab my first au oz a bit rashly last week...

I am looking to get into a bit of silver, have read a bit on these forums and although not wanting to get into defamation trouble etc.. i do have a question...

are all 1kg (or any other weight) bars created equal? If the mass and purity are the same what else are you paying for? is it just the cosmetic factor? (i am aware of mining/refining/transporting etc.) i can see a fair bit of variation from the same vendor for different sourced bars. if i want to keep the stuff for a while does it make much of a difference?

if this question is too inflammatory pls pm me :p

thanks

rml978

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

welcome rml978, welcome aboard and may you stack well and long. To answer your question, all animals are created equal, except pigs, which are more equal.

Depends upon your motives I think. Some collect bars or coins for their PM value as well as their beauty and will pay a higher premium for those items. Being a budget stacker, I would argue all bars/coins are equal, but i prob won't get as good resale on some of my items as others who have collected quite intricate or hard to come by pieces of art. Go for what you are comfortable purchasing, keep in mind why you are purchasing, and under what situation in the future you are thinking of selling your investment or how you're gonna go about doing it.

You'll probably get 10 different responses from 10 different members on this forum, you decide what best suits your situation. Read all the stuff that has been previously written on this forum about everything. Sage advice often is repeated oftenly. ?????? There's some really good themes that run consistently through the topics posted.

Oh and you're question wasn't at all inflammatory.

3. rml978

rml978 Member

should have known Homer would be so well read... takes me back to high school days :)

thanks for the tips, atm i am prob leaning towards the budget end of town, however, am open to persuasion..

rml978

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I do enjoy a Greek tragedy

5. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bet you're feeling pretty chuffed with yourself right about now?! :p :cool:

FWIW, just grab what u can, while you can. You'll work out what suits you best as you go along. :)

6. sammich

sammich New Member

I'm in it for the long run so the actual silver content is more important to me than the stamps on them. but once you start stacking the desire to have some good looking bars increases.well it has for me anyway.
    As long as there is some kind of recogised stamp on the bars I think u will be sweet for the years ahead.

7. rml978

rml978 Member

pretty chuffed... the chuff-o-meter spiked on wednesday when my wife welcomed a new bub into the world!
    how to celebrate? just ordered a 1kg pamp and a couple of the fortuna 1oz for each little princess (3) i have :)

i wonder if the gov could pay out the baby bonus in ag?

rml978

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Congratulations. Btw what is the fortuna 1oz that you mentioned? I ask because I just bought stock in Fortuna Silver.

9. rml978

rml978 Member

Hello, the PAMP 1oz have a nice fortuna stamp/image on them, you can see them at most bullion sites.

rml978