Hockey screws Pensioners

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by JulieW, Apr 13, 2014.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"Sick children" - that shows me just what a craven act this is.

Lying politicians!

In case you were in any doubt that Abbot is the same as the rest of them - and incompetent.

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

What a bung hole!!!

Why not make a start by axing their golden tickets

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"There will be NO carbon tax under a government i lead"

Short memories, komrades!

Our budget is in a MESS. any solution is going to be PAINFUL!

OC

4. gooby

gooby New Member Silver Stacker

Julie said: "[...] Abbot is the same as the rest of them".

Your quote actually supports what she said - they're all a bunch of self-serving liars and Abbot is no exception.

5. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

If the people work longer,where do the younger generation get work ?

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The move away from State funded retirement packages for people who have worked all their lives yet not managed to save any money is welcome and puts the responsibilty for life where it belongs - with the individual.

@Jules, all politicians are liars, it's the essential problem with Democracies.

7. alexisio

Hope nobody you know is affected by this . Do you really think everyone has the nous to save?

8. mmm....shiney!

Shed loads of people I know will be affected by this and they've got their whole working life to get their head around the concept of saving for their retirement. This is the main reason why my wife and I are trying to put in place a family financial situation that hopefully will mean we will be immune from government pension policies and will leave our children in a strong financial position when we die.

I shouldn't be forced to contribute to someone's retirement package just because they didn't save any money when they worked. Pensioners are one of the worst groups of Entitleists in our society, and to think the current crop of pensioners have probably spent their whole lives lecturing younger generations on responsibilty. Pffft to them and to the pension system.

9. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

They take over the jobs of all the older workers who die and don't collect the pension.

10. alexisio

***FFF*********UUUUU**********KKKKK**************U

11. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Active Member Silver Stacker

I was expecting you to say if kids are sick the Govt should not be paying for their medicine and it is an individual responsibility and you should not have to contribute to saving sick kids if you have not chosen to. You have kind of disappointed me :(

12. mmm....shiney!

Ok newtosilver, why should the government pay for medicine for people? :)

13. mmm....shiney!

:lol: who you swearing at alex?

Looks to me like you have no rational or logical response and have to resort to the CAPS LOCK KEY!!!! :lol: :lol:

14. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Unfunded pension liabilities are the noose around the necks of so many western countries.
    Each and every government that has contributed to this problem are equally to blame.
    This is the kind of things that breed the most violent protest and divide a nation.
    We can already see the effects in the U.S. where cities are divided by those demanding their government pension when there is not enough money to pay the wages of current employees.
    Incompetence is the reason. We elect morons because we have no other choice. People that have absolutely no financial sense make decisions they should have no part in.
    This can only get ugly.

15. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

The sick children quote was spoken by him as an example what will happen if we either don't reign in the debt created by the Bogan, I mean, Labor party... Or stop the current rate of debt accumulation. What do people expect, have a massive debt and a possible shite future economy but still have the lifestyle and perks we have today? Hmmm I guess the majority do.
    I'm 36 and have no problem with having to work to 70 if I HAVE to. I don't want to so will be doing what I can to retire before that age. How? By working more and trying to control my spending plus others. Not going through life waiting/expecting the government to put money in my pocket.
    He said everyone in all levels will share the lifting and will lose something this coming budget. Let's see what the changes will be.
    Interesting how Labor are blocking a lot of things in the Senate that will benefit the country. We are in this debt mess because of them, so if you voted for Labor in the past federal elections then please don't b'tch and moan about future tightening.

16. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

That argument has more holes in it than the Bismarck.

17. alexisio

Doesnt matter which side you vote for, they blame each other !

18. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Couldn't agree more.
    I am jack of paying for other people's lack of nous. :)
    How about rewarding those who at least show a bit of nous?

19. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

People pay in their exhorbitant taxes in the expectation that it will fund a fair and equal society (in Australia according to the research).

Changing the rules along the way is fine - a big lead time on this change and there is a push into superannuation - ie into the sharemarket - for all the future work units to fund their short lived retirements. That's sure to work out well. You 36 year olds will never see a dollar of your 'superannuation' but you'll continue to pay more and more tax as your life goes to working to stay afloat.

(of course, originally the 'old age' pension kicked in long after the average death age for workers, meaning little to pay out for the government and more to spend on land rights for whales or whatever the vote winner is next election cycle.

As for 'budget mess' - total rubbish. What is a mess is the way that the government pie is divided up. A budget is just choices. Choose working toward social equality. Choose capital works. Choose golden parachutes for pollies. Choose a billion dollars for a hospital to win an Independent's vote and get into government. Much better to keep the high flying life for the pollies than carve 20 million out to support financial counsel for the peasants.

Much better for a planeload of public servant parasites to fly round the world with Abbott and the rest of his self serving gang, staying in 5 stars and spending up big rather than put a decent living standard within reach of people who've worked their whole lives in the expectation that their taxes will pay them food and rent in retirement.

Just choices - and every politician's promise is made with the money they've ripped out of your pocket, and every promise they break is them gaming the system to put their slimy carcasses on the plush leather seats of the Government cars and in the 5 star luxury to which they believe themselves entitled.

Keep swallowing the lies about 'welfare' and 'necessary budget cuts'. They really are concerned about your welfare - and the sick kids who'll miss out on medicine because old age pensioners want more than cat food on toast for dinner. They really do care my fellow Australians.

20. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

This is the TIP OF THE ICEBERG.

let's look at the current NSW situation. We have about seven or so years where all the teachers, fire fighters and police officers and nurses, all retiring from the BEST super pension scheme we have seen. They retire on 80% of their wage from the last three years of their working lives (averaged) and tax free, indexed.

Sure, they have been paying "units" all their lives, so basically they have seven years to break even. If they live longer, it is free money so to speak.

This will guarantee that the retirement age will lift to seventy, and then after ten more years will lift to seventy-three. The truth is that it will then be means tested. It may also then have a component of food vouchers, to force people to move to other options rather than cash which can be pushed thru pokies.

There won't be a pension for my wife and I. We are trying to ensure that we own our home, have some savings, and also take a "third world view" and we will expect our kids to take Care of us too. I am not ashamed to expect this!!

I am hoping that property won't tank completely as at least when my parents have passed away, I will have a share of their home to kick start my own retirement plans. But, I am blessed to still have them, and while planning for my retirement is important, I have more pressing issues.

But how can we have blue collar workers working to seventy? I am in a white collar job and it will not be easy.

Shiny.