hmmm coins or bars

Discussion in 'Silver' started by schmidtyss, Feb 22, 2011.

1. schmidtyss

schmidtyss New Member

im on the fence i got a extra 60 bucks so im debating about some junk morgan dollars or just a few more bars i only have 3 morgans and wouldent mind a roll or them ..but i have 6 ounces in bar form and kinda wanna get to 10 oz either way its more silver ..but in which form..i could prob get the morgans for a lil bit cheaper to...hmmm

2. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Simple question you gotta ask yourself.

Do I buy a coin that holds a potentially higher numismatic value with a diluted silver content. Or do I buy a pure 999 silver bar & just ride the bullion bull ?

I stack the round variety, prefer to stick to pure silver like the Kooks etc.

3. Grimnar

Grimnar New Member

I like bars.... The stacking kind that is, not the kind you sleep under... or behind...

But, I'd say go for whichever goal you are closer to achieving. Then move onto the next one. And by the time you achieve that, your initial goal will feel insufficient and you will want to add more ; )

4. SparkySilver

SparkySilver New Member

If you buy coins, try to pay a low preminum. You can find silver US 90% coins for 5 to 9% over spot. I have a local dealer that has US 90% that they will sell, even circulated dollars. :D

PM if you want their number. They will ship to you.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Considering he's in the US and a SHTF scenario is a definite possibility in the near future there, I'm going to say the fractional gear would actually be a very good buy, especially if you don't have a lot of cash to invest.

In Australia, we'll cop a serious downturn, but our currency won't implode come what may I believe.

But in the US where the 3 Bs are starting to make more sense from a stacking perspective, I reckon keeping it small, fractional and good for barter is a very smart decision.

6. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Concur Au, fractional is very liquid, that guy Mike on Youtube (WhyMeWhySilver) has some great ideas about SHTF preparedness.

I gotta get my shyte together & have an emergency stash just in case the SHTF scenario does HTF.

7. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's not legal to ship even current US coins out of the country any more is it?

8. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

at the rate that the spot price of silver is fluctuating both up and down......i would be more concerned about just actually getting your hands on some physical silver. forget whether or not they are bars or coins....just get some physical. .....your time to be just sitting on the fence is running out IMHO and hopefully you wont be there (on the fence) for much longer...............so basically what i am saying is .....just go and buy what you still can..........each type...be it small fractionals or larger bars all have benefits and drawback.........and you only have to confront these issues if you hold some in your hands......if you dont hold any.....you'll have in time.....far greater issues to deal with.....

9. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

ps....good luck stacking!!!

10. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

hmm, speaking of coins.
    someone just offered me 3000 US silver dimes at 19.5 times face value. I can't afford that many but. What would you guys do? I offered him $960 for $50 face and he said "thats just fine." Its going to be like christmas tomorrow morning. I'm debating whether to get more or not.