Help identifying and any value?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by culfran2, Aug 14, 2011.

1. culfran2

culfran2 New Member

I have these "coins" sealed and labelled 8k as the photo shows. I think they are probably "novelty" items. They were my father's and he didn't leave any info about them.

There are 14 and they are about a cm in diameter. The total including that packaging is 5g. I have put a five cent piece in for size comparison.

Two say 1979 Krugerand wtih a sprinbok or gazelle- it says South Africa and does say copy.

Two seem to have images of Caesar and three horses.

The rest say (as far as I can tell because it is hard to see) say Edward VII GRA BRIT OMN HD DEF IMP. It also says we think 1889 which couldn't be Edward VII.

Any ideas? Do you think they have any value?

Thanks for looking

[​IMG]

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Very hard to tell on these sizes and the image quality, however if I was to take a stab in the dark I would say they are to be used in jewellery as 8k is pretty hard wearing with minimal gold. Used in rings and bezels etc... A better photo may assist but that would be my uneducated guess ?

3. culfran2

culfran2 New Member

Thanks to you both for replying. Sounds like these are worth keeping to melt to make up jewellery- maybe wedding bands etc for the generation under me. Thanks again.