Help ? GST on Gold Bullion Through FedEx

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Ronnie 666, Jun 30, 2011.

1. silversardine

silversardine Member

Thanks Maggie,

Yes, that is basically what I meant....and that you were talking about UPS not Fedex, but making an allowance for a typo. I shouldn't have said ''USED" as it confused what I meant. I didn't mean to say that you used UPS by mistake.

Sorry, shouldn't try to type while sleep deprived. :)

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

At 9.30am this morning I received a call telling me for the second time in 2 days I must pay GST on an order Iam waiting for, again I tell the person on the other end, I won't pay, as it is GST Exempt and GST is not applicable to these coins. This time I was told to ring Head office of Fedex and speak to their management. This I did for the 4th time in 5 weeks. This time I was fortunate enough to speak to someone that is very aware of the problem we are experiencing in Australia concerning Fedex charging GST to people who are held to ransom over their order. To cut a 1 hour converastion down to a few lines, it was said to me I had coinage that was not stamped with purity on it. I pointed out this is not true. After going on line and looking at coin, the Lady confessed this was correct and she would put in a dispute immediately and follow it through. It was acknowledged Fedex needs to sort this problem out and they had to deal with same problem every day. After the many times I have had to fight this, I will only know if it has been won tomorrow morning by being told I will not be charged on a GST exempt product. If this happens I know we are getting some where, if not my fight will continue.
    Sorry to bore everyone with my ranting, but even a bird can only take so much.
    Regards Maggie

3. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Maggie - off line most of today but noted your Fedex continuing saga. I got an email today telling me that my claim is now with their accounts department - whatever that means. This process is much like the 12 tasks of Hercules. It is now 6 weeks since I paid them and nearly 2 weeks since I got the ATO ruling. The question is will I live long enough to get the refund or will it be part of my grandchildren's inheritance ??

4. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

Lol, you will get your money back .... eventually.

So will I. I am waiting on my private ruling.

On average people take 2-3 months to resolve this issue.

5. Maggie

U know me Ronnie, I won't give up. No one should.
    Regards Maggie

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Give em hell Maggie!! a lady after my own heart ... :)

7. Ronnie 666

A New Idea to resolve the FedEx issues. Sent them this note today ? What do you think Maggie ?

Dear Mark

I received a request from your accounts department on Monday to supply my bank details which I did. Nothing has subsequently occurred (Thursday) and no payment has been completed. Your company's behaviour is truly inconceivable. You may or may not be aware that this GST on bullion issue has sparked an almost complete boycott of FedEx across all Australian bullion dealers and across several bullion forums of many thousand members. As I write to you, letters are being sent to several international mints refusing to deal with them should they use FedEx. If this was my company I would be very concerned and doing everything to appease my customers and make this go away. All you are doing by delays and avoiding personal contact is adding fuel to the fire. What I would appreciate from you, is for you to send me the contact telephone number of someone in FedEx, who I can call directly, who can explain what is happening and when I will receive my refund. This is not rocket science - this is basic business 101. I am posting this appeal on an international web forum and I hope that I can within a day post your favourable response and amicable resolution of this issue. Please take this opportunity to publically resolve this problem.

Yours sincerely

8. Ronnie 666

The message back !!! looking good

Out of Office AutoReply:
    Please be advised i will be out of the office until Friday 12th August, 2011. For assistance call ph 132610.

9. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And of course, had you wished to trade away your gold at a particular point in time when it is high (like now), you would have missed your opportunity because Fedex is taking so long to get YOUR gold to you (like now).

10. Maggie

Something else, if you are charged GST and are not registered for GST with ATO, then you will not be able to claim the GST back from ATO. So the onus is on Fedex to provide an amended declaration for customs and retrieve your GST from them, so a bloke from ATO GST Advice told me today. Now, we don't want incite any riots against anyone and should approach our common problem in a civilised way. What we really need is for Fedex to slightly alter their stated policy. Surely someone there can come up with a system which easily identifies bullion products,(which is usually on the waybill) and the other major assessment requirements. My other half, a wiser person than I, just said to me that Fedex seems to be either in complete ignorance of the legislation, or they are having trouble with the interpretation. Either way, if you ask ATO GST Advice this question "Are silver bullion coins subject to GST on importation ?" You will get this answer " No, silver bullion coins are not subject to GST on importation." That seems pretty clear cut to me.

11. Ronnie 666

Hi Maggie

I am well past civilised - In my case they have a ruling, They have not acted on that for 2+ weeks. I have no one who contacts me despite several e-mails requesting that someone explain this delay. When I do call them asking for the relevant person they are never there and never return my calls. The individuals who are there are rude ignorant and repeatedly tell me the Tax code is complex and I don't understand it. Can you believe this in the face of a already issued Tax ruling. Am I crazy ??

The time for being polite is well past. They want to screw with me I have several ideas left in play-

By the way I am copping all my correspondence to the overseas mint I dealt with. They must be as sick of FedEx as I am.

Keep up the fight

Ronnie

12. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Go Ronnie,Maggie et al
    You have many members behind you.
    Ordered some stuff from the US yesterday, they would only use Forgetex so I explained the issues,and declined the sale on this basis. Seller not happy to lose sale due to gst issues he has nothing to do with, suggested he take it up with forgetex. Hope this puts more pressure on them.

13. Ronnie 666

With Regards FedEx

I spoke to Mark Asplet today,one of the senior managers at FedEx today. Obviously pressure has been mounting and the individual who made this decision for FedEx in regards that all importers need an ATO ruling no longer works for FedEx. They are revising their policy and hopefully will be providing a document to importers to sign off on which will obviate this ATO route. I am not sure it is in place but as soon as it is I will notify all members and that should hopefully fix the problem

Thanks for all the support maybe just maybe we got this fixed.

Ronnie

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

That's awesome news - UPS have a similar "sign here" type declaration document that makes GST processing a breeze.

Thanks for keeping the pressure on Ronnie - it's doing all Australian stackers a favor.

15. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

When i was making an inquiry to Gainesville, the guy i spoke to basically said they attach some form to confirm no GST is payable.. only the customs 'processing' fee. I don't know why FEDEX still charges, either they remove the form or have a different policy of 'charge regardless'.
    I'm not sure who Gainesville use, probably USPS

16. Fe Mike

Fe Mike New Member Silver Stacker

AHA Investor has contacted Fedex on a couple of occasions in the past few weeks to get some clarity & resolution on all this.
    Here is the current position, verbatim:

"The duties & taxes are accessed by the Australian customs and not Fedex directly. I would highly recommend you to get in touch with the local customs directly."

This sounds like the old "it's not me, it's him over there officer" but short of someone emailing me pics something stamped fedex with charges applied by them, I might have to customs.

Thoughts? Progress?

17. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

it's their employees that assess for gst and i was also told on the phone that it is "fedex policy" to charge gst on all bullion. Obviously they're not going to admit anything that might end up printed in a magazine.

18. Maggie

GP, they have I was told by their management he had read all our BLOGS, and they are maintaining they will be looking into it further. Keep blogging, everyone

Thank you Ronnie
    regards Maggie

19. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fedex is the only freight company charges GST on bullions. Blaming it on Australian Custom is ridicules, and exposes them to lying to the public in the face of overwhelming evidence against them. Instead of fixing a miner issue internally they rather choose to commit a crime.
    If this goes to mainstream media they will be exposed. Fedex competition like UPS can be the best help to make the maximum damage to Fedex reputation.

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Really? Damn auto-correct :)