Hello from Perth and question about the site.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Ceallach, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ceallach

Ceallach Member Silver Stacker

Hi folks,

Kelly from Perth here.
    I registered in Sept but have been reading the posts, learning and enjoying this site as time permits.

I am mostly a collector of Aus pre dec coins/sovs/banknotes but have done a little stacking along the way for investment purposes (some of which I will need to offload shortly to keep my other hobbies (diving mostly) going :).

I've been looking for some info on trading on this site (ie how to buy/sell, trading etiquette, and even an acronym list would be great). Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Thanks folks.

This is a very informative (and interesting) site. Much appreciated.

cheers
    Kel

2. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome :)

3. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome :)

4. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hi and welcome.

5. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hi and welcome.

6. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the stacker family. Yes the site can be both interesting funny informative helpfull and more. Enjoy
    :)

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi there, it would be handy to have a glossary but then we would never learn new terms.

You probably need to know 'buzz' which is where someone tells you they want to commit to buying the product at the price you are offering.

'PM Sent' means they sent you a private message, probably to see if you will split items and sell them individually or accept an offer.

'Bump" means that you haven't managed to sell everything but you want your listing at the top of the posts, 'Bump with Price reduction' is my favorite, you will find that if you bump it half a dozen times and no one else posts in your thread you will probably annoy a few people, it probably means that no one is interested in your item or it is priced too high. 'UP' is what newcomers call 'Bump' but we all know what the intent is so we don't mind.

WTS is short for 'Would like to Sell', you can guess at WTB and WTT.

F2F is a face to face meeting, used because the postal service is expensive and not insured or they want to mug you, so take care and meet in a public area and not at your house.

So

WTS: ASE F2F Perth

translates that you would like to sell some American Silver Eagles and you prefer Face to Face in Perth. You can chuck in the price as well if it is a bargain.

It is considered rude to post in a sales thread if you have no intention of buying the items and saying they are crap or overpriced is also frowned upon. Asking lots of questions and making comments can be ok if they are positive in nature and no one minds new people looking for guidance but it is best to do by Private Messages rather than derail the thread. Mentioning that you have the same item for less or know where you can get it cheaper is not considered constructive either.

PM can mean Private Message, Perth Mint or Precious Metals, depending on the context.

Anyone who tells you they lost all their silver in a boating accident is politely telling you that you are prying into their business and it is not welcome.

Don't get into a real estate conversation with Yippie, in fact, don't get into any conversations with Yippie.

That is about it the rest you will pick up as you go along but if you are going to sell make sure you mention all detracting marks in your description, scratches, scuffs, dents, broken capsules lost certificates etc. decide on a returns policy before the deal is made (i.e. who pays postage if the buyer wants to return it), decide on the risk, (i.e. if it goes missing in the post who is responsible) and just be transparent in everything you do. And as you have no trades don't be surprised if someone asks you to post the items before they pay (or pay first if you are the buyer), this is common as you have no reputation but you don't have to accept those terms.

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

'ello Kelly :)

9. bigcountry

bigcountry Member Silver Stacker

Welcome aboard!