hello! a noob to this silver business

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by silvertron, May 16, 2011.

1. silvertron

silvertron New Member

hi.

Just recently got a 1oz pamp bar - it's made me want to acquire more silver! ordered a silver cuckoo coin from belarus too, planning on getting a little collection of silver oz rounds as they are generally well priced, look great and are easy to split/trade

this forum seems good for advice and i'm sure i'll post a few questions in here, are there are any threads specifically for noobs?

I do have a couple of questions already:

1) proof coins - is this not so much of an issue with bullion coins as the worth is largely due to the material?

2) does anyone have any advice for buying and selling rounds in order to generate cash to get more silver? was looking at getting 10 oz rounds at a decent price and then selling them individually - any advice on this, aside from avoiding ebay as much as possible?

thanks in advance!

2. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome,

** The proof coins, have a higher quality strike and generally lower mintages than their bullion counterparts.
    However they also cost more - if you are new to the game than hold off proof purchases til you
    think that you know what you are doing.

** I really like your 2nd question, if you find the answer to that eventually, please post on the forum so that i can read it as well.

Update your location in profile - it will make it easier for you when the time comes and you want to buy/sell on the forum.

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

If you're rich enough bulk buy from APMEX or Gainsville or any dealer really and just fling em off individually for a bit more.

Do that enough times and you'll get more silver... I think APMEX charges the same premiums/oz for 1oz and 10oz APMEX Silver bars (for example), you could get a lot of 1oz ones and resell at a premium.

I wouldn't bother with 10oz, if you can get low premium 1oz rounds then hell yeah go for it.

4. silvertron

silvertron New Member

thanks for replies.

Nope - i'm not that rich! i've got a fairly decent paid job and a bit of surplus money, and i find it easy to buy things i don't really need - so investing cash i'd otherwise waste on tat on silver makes quite a bit of sense to me.

i think i'll start with ten to test the water, is there anywhere online that gives more info on the main silver bullion coins, advantages/disadvantages etc?

was thinking of getting 10 philharmonics as a start as the margin seems pretty wide on them (buying in UK and selling in UK) but would be interested if anyone could tell me key differences between pandas/libertads/britannias/maples/eagles etc?

thanks in advance, this is a great forum eh!

5. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome enjoy

6. silvertron

silvertron New Member

oh yeah - what is the best book to read about coins? a close to complete list of coins with pics and values?

(i will look on amazon - but i know you lot will have the best answer)

7. silvertron

silvertron New Member

Ha yes, I realise there's no Genie sadly.

Thanks

8. brisbanecoin

brisbanecoin Member Silver Stacker

If your in the UK mate make sure you have calculated the VAT tax your paying as that might be your difference in spread. Also know where your going to sell them ahead of time or work both ebay and paypal fees to make sure its profitable. I would also suggest maybe buying a tube (20 coins) as normally thats when a discount is applied;although I guess it depends on who your buying from.

As far as the differences between the 5 all but the Britannia is .999 fine silver (thinks its 95.8 or something like that) which puts more restricitions when trying to move it globally as most countries are only GST free/input taxed on .999 fine silver. Other then that just a slightly different premium depending on how far they have to be shipped to you and your supplier as well as what the mint charges. Each have there advantages and disadvantages depending on who you inted to sell too.

9. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome!

To answer the above question, buy cheaper from dealers in bulk and sell individually on Ebay :)

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Hey silvertron

11. silvertron

silvertron New Member

thanks all - points raised are good ones (albeit ones that i'd thought of already!)

any suggestions on books to read or books with good reference/catalogues of coins?

thanks again - very friendly forum!