Heading into long-term economic malaise, stagnant gold/silver prices?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by SpacePete, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

What's wrong with all prices rising 1%?
    What's wrong with all prices rising 100%?
    What's wrong with all prices dropping 1%?
    What's wrong with all prices dropping 100%?
    What's wrong with all prices staying?
    Inflation/deflation stories are just greed/scaremongering.
    Because some need the latter to.. ehm... 'make money', I think they call it.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Disinflation - now everyone's talking about it. Back when this thread started, few if any in the MSM would have taken it seriously. However, after the Fed decision not to raise rates, it is getting some mention.

Now the problem is, there are no new or obvious drivers of economic growth on the horizon. So if the economic malaise continues, how will governments react? More of the same probably for as long as they can kick the can down the road -- print money, encourage population growth, and maybe hand out free money.

More from various recent news reports:

3. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

I have to give them credit where credit is due. They super smart, seriously.

They've managed to put everyone on a fiat standard and stave off a 'crack up boom' for an extraordinary long time.

Conduct wars, gain technology and have people obey their systems of control. Amazing!

What we are seeing is biflation. Will we see more of it, YES! What does this mean for PM... as long as people have money and there is supply, accumulation will take place. Price is relatively unimportant in the long long term. In the medium term... don't know... there seems to be a push towards lower prices but a floor with metal supply. I do believe we are entering into a very volatile global environment and geopolitics are becoming ever so larger and all heading towards a direction that can't be good. The train is heading in one direction and we are being told it's the other whilst papering over the issues.

I don't think it will come to a head until they are ready for it.

Also there's too many "controversial" opinions on here, some of very questionable origin.

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

The bullshit is becoming so thick you could walk on it.

5. RichardAL

RichardAL Active Member Silver Stacker

Regarding bullshit, for a sobering laugh check this out:

" the Convention decreed, in May, 1794, that the death penalty should be inflicted on any person convicted of 'having asked, before a bargain was concluded, in what money payment was to be made.'"

That law was passed in order to support paper currency - the reference is "Fiat Money Inflation in France, by Andrew Dickson White" (published early 1900s, maybe 1912) - I got it free on my kindle.

Anyway in early post revolutionary France you had a set up where the politicians brought in successive issues of paper money, despite the instructive lessons of Law's time and whilst spouting immense gouts of crap, ruined everyone in France.

In that period : "On August 1, 1795, this gold louis of 25 francs was worth in paper, 920 francs.....In February, 1796, it was worth 7,200 francs.....Prices of all commodities went up nearly in proportion."

omnia mutantur nihil interit!!!

6. petrol

petrol New Member

I look at G&S more as a means of rebuilding fortunes during or post recovery of said events. In an extremely turbulent time food, ammo, etc will be money. When things are getting rebuilt and recovery starts to take place, gold and silver will buy up land, commercial properties, etc...