Guide to buying silver in Australia (resurrected)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by goldpelican, Feb 20, 2010.

1. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think saying where is the cheapest is fine if you dont compare to others.

I dont know now, but in the seventies there was TV channel in Italy dedicated to the cheapest, price. If you had a product you could sell cheaper you called in and your merchandise replaced the one on the list until sold out or someone else beat your price.

This can be done even better on the net in different categories if GP or someone else dedicated to run the service likes the idea.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The problem is dealers who don't understand the difference between opinion and defamation. The problem last time was as simple as a postage comparison thread, and a single use of the word "expensive" by one member.

Options are being investigated.

3. fidelia

fidelia New Member

Generally speaking corporations cannot bring an action in defamation. There are exceptions eg non-profit corporations; less than 10 employees (and not related to another corporation. (Based on Queensland law, but I would imagine there are similar provisions in other States.)

4. goldpelican

Look, all I can say is that we've been down that path before. Plenty of dealers are <10 employees.

5. Apollo

Apollo New Member

How about just a listing of commercial buyers/sellers by region? Then people can do their own price comparison in their own area... or has this already been convered somewhere else?

6. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

this sounds like a good option. Another thing to consider is the experiences of other forum members. If you pm someone theres no come back to the administrators.
    Bets wishes, and may our stacks continue to grow. =D

7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I'd find a little shopper' guide very useful. Before I found this forum the only place I knew about was ABC and then I discovered the W Davis site and found that all those coin and stamp shops also catered to metal collectors as well. (I know, a bit slow on the uptake!) Then I started to find a few other coin and stamp places around. It would have been helpful to know what sort of range of things are sold at the various locations, and perhaps even updates on what's currently happening there. (for instance where does one find Gold Maples over the counter).

8. eliastheprophet

eliastheprophet New Member

Ok, here's a newbie's 2 cents...

Shields stamps and coins (in heidelberg melbourne) told me that until rather recently, they were BANKING their $10 state series coins, rather than selling them. Presumably they couldn't find anyone willing to pay a premium over face value! Obviously no one has ever taught them about "gresham's law"! (Check it on wikipedia). If I was given the option of exchanging "bad" money for "good" money hardly paying a premium, I would SNAP IT UP quick smart! I told him that if he had any left, I'd buy out the lot! Obviously he didn't, given the recent rise in the silver price. Pity... I gather that he's into numismatics, so he's happy to sell the bullion stuff that comes into his hands relatively cheaply.

Goldpelican, perhaps you could write a post on "flipping"? I'd love a guide on how to recognize numismatic potential in stuff being sold at bullion price. Unfortunately, I've sometimes paid a premium on stuff that turned out not to have any numismatic value.

As to the defamation threat... it sounds absurd, frankly. Get legal advice please. If you can't afford to pay, try the arts law centre (www.artslaw.com.au) they might just be able to help free or at low cost.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Defo is just a headache. It never goes to court and all who win are greedy lawyers. We can post about 99% of things on here, just steer clear of the 1% because GP and the site admin people run this forum free and dont need the headaches.

10. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I've been stacking $10 state coins for the last 6months. I have paid between $12 and $14 for them and I thought I was getting a bargain. At $10 each You can't loose no matter what price silver is. I see quite a few for sale on ebay but they are mostly single sales and the postage makes them less attractive to buy. GP has them on his chart now so SS members know about them. Remember 2 ten dollar coins equals 3 66 fifty centers and they are worth 20 times more if you cash them in at the bank.

Regards Errol43

11. digger

digger New Member

So I've taken some advice from another post to search for different & rarer silver. Was looking in the US for coins & came across a website that sells MS70 coins from the Perth mint.

Does anyone know where to purchase these in AUS? PM website has no info & a quick search came up with nothing. Am keen to add some extra quality coins to the stack but don't want to buy from US all the time.

Any info would be great

12. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Brilliant article - very informative.

As we are stackers located globally I wonder how buy prices compare in various countries.

What is the premium paid over spot price for bullion coins ?
    Sales tax may or may not apply but in the UK for example we pay 17.5% tax today and will pay 20% in 2011.
    There is no tax on gold so buying silver we have to see an increase of about 20% before breaking even.
    Also I note that silver coins are sold significantly above their silver content but gold coins can often be bought a spot price or no more than 3% above spot.
    Is silver therefore such a great buy ?

13. Silver Savy

Silver Savy Member

Very Helpful Info, Thanks Mate !

14. ChunkyPM

ChunkyPM New Member

GP thankyou for that first post, it made me think of which way i should be heading!

15. BullionBull

BullionBull New Member

May I make a suggestion in relation to this: get a free webpage at a site like http://www.000webhost.com/ and put up the prices there. That may stop some of the big dealers getting litigious. They cannot sue an anonymous site outside Oz.

16. spets1

spets1 New Member

Hi guys, newbie here. Been reading a lot of this forum and other silver related websites.

I have a question about the price difference.

How come such large deviation between some companies that sell silver?
    Say for oz bar comparison. One is ten bucks more than the other.

Cheers.

[edited companies]

17. goldpelican

What you're seeing is retail premiums in action. Silver is sold at spot + premium, not spot - different dealers charge different premiums. Maybe one dealer bought high and doesn't hedge their stock, maybe another has enough volume to offer lower premiums. It's a retail price, just like Harvey Norman and JB Hi Fi might have the same video camera at two different prices.

PAMP are also considered a "high end" brand, but I wouldn't pay a 50% premium on a bar of new silver. BB are selling generic Morgan bars, which don't have the same "covet" factor by some buyers. Both however are .999 silver - you're paying for a name.

PS Not a fan of specific prices being posted on the forum comparing dealers - they'll be out of date tomorrow, but it leaves a lasting impression for following readers that one dealer is more expensive than another. Always shop around on every deal.

18. spets1

spets1 New Member

Thanks for the reply. It just seemed really weird. Ill edit the prices out. In 1/2 days.

19. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

spets1 welcome home :D

20. spets1

spets1 New Member

Thx cinvalo. Went out and bought some silver yesterday. Lunch had to be extended to 1.5hrs because there was a line of people. And I had to go to bank to withdraw due to 800 per day limit on my card.

Hey guys. I got another newbie question.

Why is there a price difference between diff coins. As in picture below.
    [​IMG]

why would I pay more for Kookaburra than for buffalo?