Growing Up, USD's and Gold

Discussion in 'Gold' started by hiho, Apr 16, 2011.

1. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Hey Guys

Been thinking some.

About the USD and the GBP when growing up in the 70's & 80's how the currencies were all one heard about, I was getting GBP sent to me for birthdays and when cashing them in we got most times triple the face value, which you can imagine was exciting for us as kids. Also USD were always talked about as the premium currency, you'd here that on the "Black Market" USD was the preferred currency. And then later in the 90's the Euro was born and became a currency that was revered for its value.

So here we are in the 21 century, in the 2nd decade and I ask myself would I hold USD's? No way in hell I say. What about GBP, well yes I would and yes I do as I believe the British Economy will recover. And then there's the Euro, with the amount of Sovereign Collapse going on in Europe and with the likes of Spain going under if not already, the Euro is about on par with the USD in my opinion.

So it gets me to the question, where are the safe haven currencies? No USD, no Euro and a Pound that isn't sound, where do we go? And it's not until now that I realise there's only one true safe haven and that's Gold. 19.3 times the specific gravity of water (meaning one kilo of gold is equal to 19.3kg of water) it is easy to store so it can be hidden quite easily and small qty's can be carried about quite stealthily. Also it is universally recognised as money and a base for money, no-one can doubt that.

I guess the only question I have is, is it too expensive to buy now? I think you have to ask yourself here will Gold be seen as a cheap investment ever. I mean like Silver now is a fabulous cheap investment and an opportunity of a lifetime, will Gold ever be that way? Maybe, but I think not. So our perception of Gold now or mine at least is it's a little expensive to buy large quantities, like does the average fella have a kilo of gold? One would think maybe not. I think this will continue for the rest of time, the perception Gold is valuable, the respect for Gold will always be there, and Dictators will still have a Lear Jet stacked with Gold when planning to flee to Venezuela.

So for me at this very point in time and looking forward I believe Gold, beautiful Gold, will always be the best long term investment. This won't stop me holding stocks, real estate or other precious metals but I will from now always hold a substantial amount of Gold.

Cheers Hiho

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

when the GSR is at 1/20 to 1/10 then gold will be a fabulously cheap investment... but if it gets there at a point in time where you can take advantage of it? and who will trade with you? are 2 very good questions