Greta Thunberg for Nobel Prize?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by sammysilver, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Universities today, like all junior and senior schools, are infected with the hideous leftist disease.

If I had things my way I would ban this generation from all future voting for the benefit of nations future.

Oddjob and [email protected] like this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are corporations already that are employing new technologies to clean up the environment. This enhances the value for those living near polluted systems, the ecology of the system and shareholders. The profit incentive drives the search for productivity improvements.

The profit incentive is misunderstood and is under attack. Theories around the redistribution of wealth will cause greater harm to the environment than the drive for profit.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's no bubble if that's what you mean.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It hasn't worked to date. Corporations create a lot more than they clean up. Hasn't the Victorian Govt just picked up the bill for a corporation's failure to recycle economically?

5. Jason1

Jason1 Active Member

I do Landscaping, and rock upto allot of homes with people who go on their rants about climate change.
    Firstly Im a believer of pollution being a problem, and we need more trees to filter air.
    But some times I get trapped for along time listening to customers rants about the climate change thing.
    One thing I have noticed above all else, typically those who go on the biggest rants are the ones who want the trees and shrubs removed from their yards and replaced with rocks, concrete and the odd small garden bed for growing some herbs.
    I see tonnes of trees getting the chop by these people, and they stress to the highest level How I must make a herb garden for them so they are contributing to the environment. lol
    Im nodding my head congratulating them on a job well done for cutting down trees and turning their yards into a pretty but Barron wasteland of fancy rocks and concrete.
    90% of the time the trees and shrubs they had growing weren't ugly, they could have done with a trim, but the main reason for their removal is they hate the leaves falling on the ground.
    Hmm well those leaves contain caught carbon from the air that will go back into the ground, im thinking to my self during these rants they carry on with, your small manageable herb garden wont offset the loss of those trees.

The best thing we could do for the environment is stop cramming so many people into tiny spaces like cities where there is no room to grow trees, to offset an individuals pollution, and grow more trees in general.
    And it doesn't help that these people who take on vegan life styles so they can help the environment fail to understand that where soy and tofu comes from is usually from the removal of trees for soy farming in the big rainforest areas, you cant grow these things out in the middle of no where, like you can with cattle and sheep.
    These city people who complain about climate change in Melbourne streets live the most unsustainable lifestyles imaginable yet they are the biggest so called believers and advocates.
    Im skeptical on the climate change theory, but Im a believer we are polluting our selves. I hate grandstanding of these people and instead we should go back to basics and just plant more trees.

as for scaring kids and using them for political gain, Im fully apposed to it, kids need tobe kids and enjoy life, if you scare kids you end up with scared adults who arent right in the head, which IMO constitutes mental abuse.
    kids can be educated with out the tactic of fear.
    Kids should not be political tools IMO, its horrible to see this.
    And while I ignore this Greta girl as to me she is a viral sensation who is created by clever marketing by political lobbyists, I dont like the part where people are attacking her on the mental illness thing, after all she is just a kid and its far from cool todo that. She is victimized even further by people calling her out on mental health when she is already a victim of her childhood being robbed by lobbyists who are after a poster child for their cause. I feel sorry for the kid and how she is being used the way she is, that kid wont grow up with a normal life now.

so if your going to attack this kid think about the fact she is a victim and just a kid, Play the ball not the man.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  6. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm curious if I can borrow your timemachine...just until you decide to return to the 1800's

Skyrocket likes this.
  7. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

She is unfortunately a victim of the political left who now never, ever "play the ball, not the man". The modern left never engage in discussion, if you don't agree with them they will not debate you, they will call you names like "Nazi" and scream at you and form a mob to attack you. They are totalitarian bullies who cannot argue their case and they are using this girl as a human shield and trying to terrify her peers.

I agree with not using her condition to attack her but as for the rest of it if she is going to stand before us and demand obedience to her world view then she had better be ready to be told to get lost.

[email protected] and 66rounds like this.
  9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you talking about a 16 year old girl who travels on yachts, is pandered to by adults, who stands on a public platform at the UN and demands obedience to her doctrine? Why should she be given a free pass to be a totalitarian little bully?

10. mmm....shiney!

Pollution is the inevitable byproduct of industrialisation, it’s not the inevitable byproduct of profit otherwise the former Soviet Union and current communist China would be pristine environments.

11. mmm....shiney!

12. mmm....shiney!

Urbanisation has been of great benefit to the environment.

Cities are economically more efficient for a host of reasons I won’t go in to, if you want to discuss this we can start a new thread. Basically, the mass migration from rural areas to city areas is better for the environment, better for our health and better for our back pockets.

Have you been to Hong Kong? Cramming over 1million people into one part of the island means that there are beautiful beaches and forested hills for city residents to explore that ordinarily would have been cut down if the island wasn’t urbanised.

13. Number 47

Number 47 Well-Known Member

Climate change hey ...
    Earth formed around 4.54 billion years ago by a solar nebula.
    It's fair to say our climate has changed continuously since then.

We're definitely not helping what's become a fine mother nature balancing act by deforestation and pumping out greenhouse gases, no government wants to tackle the real problem, population growth.
    Without population growth our fiat doesn't work.

We're not going to make any real change until our way of thinking changes. I can't see it ever happening. We will turn this joint into a barren wasteland eventually with our ever increasing consumer driven economy. I'll give it a helping hand with my v8's And plastic drinking straws.
    Perhaps we can use it all up before were swallowed up by the sun.
    images (4).jpeg

66rounds likes this.
  14. mmm....shiney!

Old fallacies.

A balance doesn’t exist in nature, we talk about dynamic ecosystems now and population growth is not a problem. :)

[email protected] likes this.
  15. Number 47

Sure we'll eventually loose our atmosphere to solar winds, the balance isn't perfect.
    But sitting a 20kg bag on one end of the seesaw isn't helping.

16. Number 47

Don t get me wrong... I'm not feeling guilty about it.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  17. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Asperger syndrome does not impact cognitive abilities. Instead, it interferes with a person's ability to empathize, recognize social cues and resist engaging in stereotypical behavior. In fact, those with Asperger's often have high IQs and excel in fields like mathematics, computer science, linguistics, and music.
    Asperger's people
    James Joyce Michelangelo,mosart,newton.yeats,bobby Fischer,darwin.

18. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I seem to remember a group of US male teenagers out for pleasant afternoon not so long ago....but they committed a crime...they were conservatives in MAGA hats and didn't the US media go to town on them......for weeks and weeks.

Greta's actions are being questioned (by private citizens and some in the media) as she appears to be a puppet used by others to use to promote their agenda and then attack those who criticise Greta cos she is just 16. It was okay for US media to shred (and make up stories) the Covington kids cos they wore a MAGA hat. If you are going to stick your head up above the parapet be prepared for incoming fire and don't complain when the bullet's start flying back at you.

66rounds and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"The only way in which you can redistribute effectively, the wealth, is by destroying the incentives to have wealth" - Milton Friedman

mmm....shiney! and 66rounds like this.
  20. dross

dross Active Member

We have been living in a very tiny spot on the time frame of the earth in which we have had the luxury to experience a very quite and tranquil period in earths history.

That being said we have managed to pollute the land water & and air, we have left vast areas of land barren with non sustainable practices which at the time i like to think we didn't know how it would play out in the long run. We have been hearing adults giving impassioned speeches as parents about "what world are we leaving our children, grand children" etc. on the world and local stage, is it any wonder with the net YouTube etc. kids who are tech savvy are now echoing and taking onboard what adults lay before them.

Here's a simple example of how we took away from the natural order and saw it fall apart then to return things as they sort of were and the results speak pretty clearly.

66rounds and Peter like this.