Grading Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by bellinvest, Jan 29, 2011.

1. bellinvest

bellinvest New Member

I have recently bought a series of crowns, florins ect and would like to no how grading works?

As a newby i understand the silver content side of things but have no idea when it comes to this.

How do you grade coins?

Regards, Brad

2. Silver Frost

Silver Frost New Member

Hey Brad first im no expert ive only been doin this for a few years.Grading of coins is primarily grading to the level of noticable wear of a coin. This is always their hightest points. KGV coins i find the easiest as old george wore a crown n the crown band is the key.Thers UNC Uncirculated, 8 pearls and a center diamond in the crown band ,can have bag marks(marks from production n handeling but not use ).As the details wear down so to the grade.Coins always wear the same, the 2 pearls just to left of ear go first,this brings it from EF extra fine to VF very fine. Fine or F the center diamond is worn away but 6 pearls are still visable n on reverse emu is flat/lost nere all feathers. VG very good 4/5 of the original detail is gone the crown band is gone, some upper crown shading is visable n 1/2 ear.On reverse Advance Oz still partly visable.Last G good must show full outline of design + 1/4 ear on obverse, reverse has all letters except Advance Oz.
    Crowns KGV1 37 n 38 these heavy coins damage themselves and what ever they hit. They dropped of a conveyer belt into a collection bucket at process so many have the classic 'teeth marks' from being bombed. First look at the orb on the top of crown, the fine cross on the ball is the key, a full cross EF or better. The 2 plumes either side of crown should have crisp lines down centers. VF remnant of cross,rounding of center lines of plumes. F can have dings, heavier wear.The obverse is trickier and down to Hair ware.
    If a coin has been cleaned i would drop it 1 grade, but if its coverd in fine cleaning scratches its just bullion. Dick Smith sometimes have 20x magnifyer with built in light, ull see peoples cleaning efforts its sad. Better an honest VF than what was an EF cleaned. You can leave micro fine cleaning marks on a .925 coin with the end bristle of a soft brush . Happy Days....