Graded Lunars

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Kam, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi,

What would be a fair price for graded S1 Lunars compared to the bullion version, interested by both NGC MS69 and MS70, what is considered to be a fair premium for these two gradings ?

Cheers

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Grading tends to be an American thing, not so much in Australia I dont think. From memory it costs about $20 to get a low value coin like a 1oz silver lunar graded ( I presume this is what you are speaking of). So if a 1oz Dog for example goes for lets say $60 in capsule alone, then it would cost you $80 with grading. And you dont usually just send a single coin in for grading as postage etc becomes prohibitive.

If you buy a roll of 20 coins from the Perth Mint, expect them all to be at least 67 or higher. The issue comes down to how many are 69 and 70. Of course 70 are the rarest and you might have to get 30 or more graded (ie 30 x $20) just to find one 70. But of course you would have 29 graded 67, 68 or 69.

So the market value (although I dont subscribe to buying graded coins) for a Dog 69 would probably be about $130 I would say, about UNC price + 100%.

The price for a 70 becomes more tricky, depending on the "population". You can look up the population at NGC etc of a given coin. But at a stab, 2006 graded 70 you would be looking around $200 I'd say.

3. Kam

Thanks mate, much appreciated

For those with low population, does the low serial numbers like 001 or 002 carry even a higher premium ?

4. Matthew 26:14

just tidied up my post but didnt change the substance of it

5. Matthew 26:14

Sorry I was referring to bullion grading which of course dont have serial numbers. Personally I wouldnt ever buy a Perth mint proof graded Lunar as you can no longer keep the coin with the display box, CoA or packaging which is sought after in "mint" condition by collectors. You find that grading bullion lunar coins (while I dont think its worthwhile) would be a better financial bet that grading the proof coins.

6. Kam

By serial number I was referring to the NGC grading serial number and not the proof coin one

For example, on the below is 001 referring to the coin being the first one in the series graded MS70 ?

[​IMG]

7. Matthew 26:14

sorry misunderstood, I've never seen a low graded number advertised or attract a premium.

8. Matthew 26:14

If I was going to be buying graded lunars, it would be those with the lowest population and thus rarity. Remember however this year, next year or in 10 years time, a dealer could send out for grading 100 or however coins and suddenly your graded ms70 with a population of 10 becomes a population of 20!

9. Kam

This can be true for Series 2 but imho it's very unlikely to get an S1 graded MS70 nowadays

10. Matthew 26:14

^Agreed or at least not in any market price shifting quantity.

11. SNF

SNF New Member

Hi there, the serial numbers on the NGC slabs are as follows: The "3778437" on the slab you posted is the invoice number, and the "001" denotes that it was the first coin from that invoice to be certified. So if you submitted 10 coins under invoice 3778437, the first slab would say 3778437-001, the second would say 3778437-002, and so on. It's not a rare serial number because it's close to the four millionth invoice they've processed. Hope this helps!

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Since they still have a good premium, I have been selling some low mileage, one owner 2010 1oz lunar tigers. The last dealer I sold 40 tigers must have sent them out for grading. Suddenly the regular tigers dropped in quantity and ended up with 7 MS70s out of the 40. I have no experience with getting coins graded, but I am considering sending a couple of rolls to be graded. Any idea what it would cost a US customer to have 40 1oz silver lunars graded?

13. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

as u live there why dont u give them a call ;) my question is how do u know u will get back yr coins? how easy is to swap them? they keep the ms70 u get ms68...just thinking out loud...

14. db23

db23 Member

Even better - they can put MS-whatever they want on the label because there's nobody that oversees them to call them on it.

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Would that be 1-800-not open on weekends? :lol:

Edit, it appears that 10-12 of the 40 were MS70.