Grade Verification?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Jislizard, May 18, 2015.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.coinworld.com/news/verification-service-to-check-grades-on-modern-coins.html#

So if I understand this correctly, you pay to have a coin graded by one of the top tier third party graders, and then you send that coin, in its slab, to a grade verification service, where they charge you again, and add a sticker to the outside of the slab, to say that they agree with the third party grader. And you get a different colour sticker to show how much they agree.

Am I missing something? I am about to write an article on it but I had never come across it before, I don't use grading services etc. Apparently it can increase the value of the coin significantly...

How do I know the verification service is doing its job? Should I have them verified as well?

Would be interested to hear if anyone has used the service and what else they provide to the seller.

2. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Then you can get a re-verification to verify the verification which verified the original grading.

3. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

Trying to cash in on the CAC stickers that have been strong in the US PCGS/NGC market the the last couple of years. There's been WINGS stickers about for world coins for a while but it doesn't ever seem to have gained any traction.