Good Silver Miners on ASX?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by BuggedOut, Dec 8, 2015.

1. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am looking to make a silver play on the ASX, probably via buying shares in a silver miner. I know there is ETPMAG exchange traded fund for physical silver though I'm after a little bit more leverage than it offers.

Anyone have any suggestions of good looking silver miners who are well placed to appreciate in value should the silver price turn up?

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. kramer

kramer Member

Slr perhaps..

4. BuggedOut

Thanks finicky, though surely you are taking the p1ss :-

CCU - Cobar Consolidated Resources was delisted from ASX 29/08/2014

AYN - Alcoyne Resources was delisted from the ASX 01/09/2015

ARD - Argent Minerals look more like an exploration company than an actual miner.

SVL - Silver Mines are explorers too currently trading at 0.001 per share after coming off a 0.40 peak in 2011. They look pretty lifeless.

I'm after a leveraged silver play and I could get into COMEX I suppose but I reckon mining shares are a little bit more tangible than paper silver contracts. So I'm after a decent company that is not just peddling hope (ie, explorers) and instead have some established (credible) silver production.

5. finicky

All the primary silver miners/explorers that've been on the asx that I know of were rubbish businesses. So if you think that pattern will change ..

You could look at Kingsgate (KCN) I guess, but so risky. Been a terrible stock for holders. It identifies as a gold miner, but is touting that the company's future lies with its Chilean project, Nueva Esperanza, for which they claim a probable reserve of 53.5m ozs of Ag plus gold credits (June 2014). Grade of reserve they claim is 113g/t Ag equivalent. The larger resource (not reserve) was added to in June 2015.
    http://www.kingsgate.com.au/nueva-esperanza-overview/

I have absolutely no idea of whether they'll make a go of it, but history of these things suggests not. Would suggest a chart based decision only, and later on if interested.
    KCN looks like it could go even lower from the chart, jmo.

Kingsgate (KCN) have big troubles with the sensationalist anti western media in Thailand over Kingsgate's Chatree mine. Problems with extortionate private interests, environmentalists, supine bureaucracy, rentacrowds, and military government wanting to look good domestically; little real rule of law if you believe management - see chairmans last address.

SW2, BHP's spin-off, you most likely know about with its Cannington mine. But there your silver is diluted by all S32's other metals. Anyway silver was never treated as a worthy metal by BHP and they always sold it as a contained by product as I remember. Sold it cheap as a credit for what they could get, and probably S32 same.

I dont consider either of these worthwhile ideas, I just like posting, lol.
    My opinion is dont bother with silver stocks unless you're a fickle short term trader.

6. BuggedOut

I may be exactly that. Not sure, I haven't stood in front of a mirror recently....

I appreciate your opinion as I am a big fan of brutal honesty and I figured this was the place to get it, so thanks :)

7. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Finicky likes to think himself a Guru, he doesn't like people investing their own money where they want to without acknowledging his superior knowledge :) mind you its all hindsight 20/20.

8. finicky

How true

9. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try Canada's stock exchange. The TSX has a number silver plays worth investigating. The ASX's silver plays are junk