Good display wallet for 1oz silver? (Cougars, ASE, Kooks etc)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Macros_The_Black, May 2, 2012.

1. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

As some folks here know, my daughter is a beginner stacker and we've made some agreements about how/when she gets her 1oz coins. (in lieu of "pocket money")

She has a few ounces of silver stashed already, but while she is at the beginning of her journey, I'd like her to have a visual idea of her progress as motivation to keep going, before it gets too big and gets locked up somewhere.

So I wanted to get a plastic display wallet - she already has one (a Numis 48-coin) for her growing 1966 50c collection but the coin pockets are too small for the 1oz pure bullion coins.

I thought I'd ask my vastly more experienced stackers what I should get and if it is available here in Oz - and preferably from a fellow stacker/site sponsor (if so I'll put up a "WTB" thread in the trading forums).

Any ideas?

I've only seen this one so far:

http://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_coin_albums.htm

(Presumably I'd need the H size; holds 30 coins?)

Thanks!

MTB

2. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is a great idea to get kids to stack PMs at their early age and I will follow your suit too :)

Anyway, just to share with you.
    when I started stacking, I wanted to have the coin album but then I ditched the idea because it takes too much spaces and attracts an attention. so I opted a coin tube with airtites instead. easy to handle and easy to store. One tube can store a fair bit of coins with airtites (I think 15 of them). Well .. the cons is that you cant really show off your bullion in one page ;P

just imho anyway .......

3. Macros_The_Black

Tnx Lunardragon - yes I think that's also a possibility (thanks for sharing that) - I'm really only aiming to use it very short term (ie 20-30oz) due to the bulkiness as you say, then move to tubes. She's well versed in discretion and we are a family that tends to keep ourselves to ourselves, so the attention hopefully will be all hers :)

I guess you can still see a tube filling up though can't you!

Appreciate your input, tnx!

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So I am a bit of a sad collector and I have a great variety of vices, fortunately some are helpful!

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.safealbums.co.uk/Zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2286

The album comes with a slip case to stop dust getting in, which is a big problem if you use it for cigarette cards as it was designed. However it is worth getting as the dust jacket keeps the album closed and when full prevents the pages sagging, which happens quite a bit if you have too many coins per page.

There are a number of pages with various configurations, all archival quality

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.cigarettecards.co.uk/storage.htm

The 1 pocket pages hold pamphlettes and mint sets (a bit loose)

The 2 pocket pages are the exact fit for the carded Kangaroos and Kookaburras (and the various carded $5 coins and the early mint sets in the plastic wallets)

The 3 pocket pages fit all the $1 coins in the folders or the newer cards.

The 4 pocket pages fit the newer style folding $1 folders

The 6 pocket vertical is probably the most likely for capsulated 1oz coins. I have some coins in there which are the ones in square holders. Not ideal though and I would probably find a way of sealing the pockets to stop them falling out when turning the pages

The 6 pocket horizontals fit the smaller bimetallic carded $5 (and phonecards if you are that way inclined)

The 8 or 10 pocket pages (I forget which but I will edit when I get home) fit the 1oz bars quite nicely, the Morgans and some copper offerings

The albums aren't cheap and to save on postage they take a couple of months to get here from the UK but I have had one for 20+ years and it still works fine. You can order a mixture of pages with the album.

I will take some pictures when I get home and try some different pages with 1 oz, capsules and naked.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ok... you can buy 20 sleeve pages made out of plastic... simply ask for CROWN SIZE>.. fits most generic one ounce bullion.. i have two albums full...

the sleeves are around 1.50 each and have holes suitable for any folder (album).. my advice is to go for a 4 hole album (very cheap from a stationary store..).. the reason being the coins x20 get very heavy so the more holes the more the page wieght is distributed.

This is the cheapest and best method ive found but i got into coins after collectors cards so the 9 pocket pages and albums were a must for me so that was a natural evolution in my case.

The main problem can be pages are very heavy (and folders if you have a big stack).. also coins can fall out.. however they are a snug fit so dont usually... some smaller sized bullion can be inserted into sleeves to give addtional dimensions to keep coin in pocket.

1for1

7. Hoth25

Hoth25 New Member

I place my 1kg bars in...

...Coles Sandwich bags :lol:

8. footycard

footycard New Member

Pog Collectors from the 90's would be quite familiar with pog pages.
    Ultra Pro make the highest grade pages, chemical/pvc free ect and they are generally 50c - 80c a page from card shops or ebay.
    and yeah, as 1for1 says, generic albums are only a few dollars at officeworks ect, go for the type with the clear plastic insert
    at the front, you can then design your own front and slip it in, it's also handy for printed out checklists/wantlists.

I scanned a sheet to see, can you spot the silver coin?
    well I can tell you that the coin sits in this sheet better then the pogs it was designed for!
    they kind of snap lock in.

[​IMG]

9. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

I like the shiny kangaroo pog the best

10. Macros_The_Black

This info is awesome - just what I'd expect from Stackers!

Jislizard, you are a true gentleman and legend, I don't care what they say about you in the Brisbane meetings ... haha just kidding!

Seriously excellent info, much appreciated, esp photos & links. My folks live in the UK so I'm sure I could cut costs down if I needed something, or wait for a visit.

1for1 - yep I'm familiar with the "no frills" 3 or 4-ring binders, used 'em for many years in a training & dev business I used to own ... so when you say:

What outlet should I be asking in for "Crown size"? A coin shop? Using plastic sleeve inserts sounds like the easiest solution to me, as hopefully this is short term until she overtakes her Mum & Dad and it's all spread around and stored securely offsite :cool:

@footycard - that's excellent, love the kangaroo in there ... what a great find ... now I know if I stumble on any of these on eBay what I could use them for - great advice, cheers!

Gotta love this forum ... ;)

11. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. Jislizard

So I am a bit of a sad collector and I have a great variety of vices, fortunately some are helpful!

The album comes with a slip case to stop dust getting in, which is a big problem if you use it for cigarette cards as it was designed. However it is worth getting as the dust jacket keeps the album closed and when full prevents the pages sagging, which happens quite a bit if you have too many coins per page.

The 1 pocket pages hold pamphlettes and mint sets (a bit loose)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 pocket pages are the exact fit for the carded Kangaroos and Kookaburras (and the various carded $5 coins and the early mint sets in the plastic wallets as well as postcards)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 3 pocket pages fit all the $1 coins in the folders or the newer cards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 4 pocket pages fit the newer style folding $1 folders

[​IMG]

The 6 pocket vertical is not much use for anything really

[​IMG]

The 6 pocket horizontals fit the smaller bimetallic carded $5 (and phonecards if you are that way inclined)

The 8 pocket pages are where it is at for 1oz capsules and OMP coins

[​IMG]

Looks a bit wrinkled now but that will flatten out, I held the page upside down and nothing fell out.

And just for footycard

[​IMG]

The 10 pocket pages hold the 1oz bars snuggly

[​IMG]

For nekkid 1oz the 15 pocket pages are perfect, the kooks and koalas are tight but the others are a good fit. Nothing fell out but I didn't try very hard as the coins need to go back into the collection in the same condition they left it.

[​IMG]

Sadly most of what they say about me is true!

13. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Wow - nice Jislizard!

On a side note, nothing at all to do with OP (but no apology for the hijack), very interesting to see a pic of the 500th Anniversary coin (3rd pic down) - I lived in the Tower as an infant and I know my mum would also be interested since I allowed her to live with me at that time :D - now I know what I'm looking for I can try and track down another - so cheers for the serendipitous heads up.

14. Macros_The_Black

Thanks Jislizard for taking the time for the pics! Lovely stuff - that 15-pocket thingy will be the sort of thing that could work I reckon ;) See you next time in Brissy, very helpful info tnx.

@Nugget - that's the Numis wallet I have already! (Got it from GP actually) and ... it doesn't even come close to fitting 1oz bullion :( Tried ASE, Cougars ... [The '66 50c fits perfectly] Unless I'm doing something really wrong (which could well be the case!).

And @XB ... no apologies required, anyone who lived in the Tower and got away to tell the tale ... :D

Thanks to all for your help!

15. Jislizard

You were lucky, most people didn't make it out!

16. Jislizard

I have a spare you can try out and see if it fits any of your existing folders, remind me though!

17. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for saving me a few bob (that I'll blow on silver no doubt lol)

18. Macros_The_Black

UPDATE: Thanks 1for1, after doing some more homework, I finally found what you were referring to!

Just bought some 20 x 20 on ebay = a pack of 10 BCW brand for $6 +$1 postage:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221017772636?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks for everyone's help - now we're on the way ;) (to two album's full, or more of course)

Cheers