Gold panda box sets

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Nordmann, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Nordmann

Nordmann Member

How popular are the box sets among collectors? In the sets I have seen the coins are not in the usual OPM, but in capsules. Does that lower the value of the set as a whole, or does the box and COA make up for it?

What would be a reasonable price for the 2003 set?

Sorry to create a new thread, but couldn't find existing one on that particular.

2. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

There are lots of people who collect coins and don't slab them. Same should hold for the box sets of (gold) coins. It might be a good idea to go for graded and slabbed gold coin sets whenever possible. That helps ensure that you know what you are buying. However, when you get to ungraded sets the decision to buy depends on availability and cost. Again, it all depends on if you like ungraded sets. Capsules will let more airborne contaminants reach the gold coins but gold is relatively inert. If I buy a set like the one you are describing I will most likely send the coins to NCS/NGC for cleaning, grading and protection from further direct contact with contaminants.

The cheapest slabbed (MS69) 2003 gold panda coin set on eBay today is priced at $5480. Building a set with individual coins may be more expensive. Your box set may be the more affordable route to owning that year of gold panda coins.

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is bullion set or proof set? 2 are very different. There even have lunar panda set in bimetal.

4. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Which is better to buy, the bullion set or the proof set? Thanks for answer.

5. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Which is better to buy, the bullion set or the proof set? Thanks for answer.

6. Nordmann

Nordmann Member

Although I do collect pandas, I myself prefer the pandas in their OMP, and would buy this set purely as speculation. If I do buy it, I would probably send it to NGC myself and wait for an opportunity to swap or sell it. Still I would like to know if they have an added value for collectors in general.

That is quite expensive, but asking price is not the same as sold price...

Thank you for response.

7. Nordmann

Nordmann Member

It is the "China Panda Gold and Lunar Premium Set" with a colorized silver lunar medal in addition to the gold. Through my untrained eyes, they look like standard bullion issue.

Thank you.

8. andrewlee10

will get back to you next few days. Collecting photo to show you the diff.

9. GAO

GAO New Member

I once learned from a TV news report, it was about Panda gold coin selling fast in Shanghai. The customers were buying over the counter in a bank branch. The Gold Panda coins were sold in sets of 5 coins 1.9 oz in total. The coins were in the plastic sheets, aka OMP. These were the bullion type, housed in a dark green rectangular box.
    Those in capsules are more likely Proof version.

10. andrewlee10

There is no proof panda gold coins in recent years in sets of 5 of 1.9 oz gold.

11. morezone

morezone New Member

I have my Pandas in Gift Boxes. If the coin came in OMP then it stays that way. If it was bought loose (older years etc) then I put it into the capsule that comes with the box.
    People who buy the 5 coin set from bank will get the coin in OMP and then it is up to them whether they wish to leave them as they are or to open and place into capsules.
    The boxes don't take up that much room and it's nice to have especially if the coins end up as gift/inheritance/sold to collector.

[​IMG]
    Here the coins are just sitting on top of the capsules. Plenty of space for them to remain in the OMP.

12. andrewlee10

This is bullion. The box is just a simple china gold Coro. Box who issue the gold panda and other mcc. It is good to keep in original instead of cut the pouch to put in caplsue except you intend to slab it.

Value down if open to put in caplsue.

13. morezone

morezone New Member

That is correct. There have been no recent proof issues for 1.9oz sets and the box is the "Gift Box" which is supplied by the CGCI and which is given when people buy the full bullion set through the banks. Not sure if they also give them away for buying incomplete sets or if you can buy them separately from the banks but some Chinese coin dealers have them for sale.

14. morezone

morezone New Member

I always thought that there are not that many collectors of the proof sets and that a proof set graded and split has a greater value than a RAW full set.
    It also gets complicated because the proof coins in capsules can also come double sealed too?? Andrewlee10 might be able to explain because I don't have any info on it.

15. andrewlee10

I try to collect more photo to show the proof, bullion set with cgci box, bullion with lunar medal, bi-medal set, private mints bi medal and so on. This will be help in identify which is which. Too many types are confusing for new collector

16. andrewlee10

Gold panda coin start from 1982 with 4 sizes 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/10. 1983 has added the 1/20 size into the 4 sizes.

Many always argue no face value is a medal (non-fiat : non legal tender back by government ) NOT coin (fiat : legal tender back by government). The unique point of 1982 gold panda has no face value. However, it is back by china government as fiat so they call it as coin rather than medal. For me, medal or coin and fiat or non fiat is not crucial since those are valued at numic not the legal tender and the content of the metal.

It is interesting that the pattern coin of 1982 gold panda was made by brass with face value. This brass pattern coin value at mio of USD. In a March 2015 Macau sale by Champion Auctions an ungraded 1985 brass Panda sold for $23,000. This tell us that numic is not judging by the metal alone.

Now, we go to the gold panda box question here. I will answer it by part by part.

Proof Gold panda set was issue from 1986 to 1992 (5 coins gold panda proof set). The coin has a mark "p". It is double set with box and coa. Refer to the following photo for the gold proof panda set for details. Current price range of 1986 -1991 gold proof panda set is at 2500-4200USD. The last year of 1992 is most expansive and rare which is at around 8.4K which is hardly see in ebay in 2015. 1993 china commence a new type of proof panda set which will discussed later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

One of my favorite years -beautiful

18. andrewlee10

Yes it is cute and price is reasonable as compare to others years

19. andrewlee10

Start 1993 the first bi-metal panda proof out commence the new cornerstone. It has short life like the gold proof panda. now the five gold panda set change as following which include the bi-metal panda. Many type of set come out which not only limited to 5 gold panda coins only after 1993.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. GAO

GAO New Member

Hi andrewlee10, your collection is true gem! thanks for sharing!