Gold on a budget for Newbies ?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Guest, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

So what advice would you all have for a newbie wanting to get a start to have at least some Gold stacked for the future ?

What would be the best way to buy a bit at a time in order to obtain a modest amount over time ? I am personally only interested in pure gold but upon looking around see that the choices are many and varied.

Lets say for arguments sake I wanted to stack away at a rate of 1 gram of gold for every 10 oz of Silver just as a base rate ? would that be a good ratio? Should I aim higher?

And what would be the best way to buy? apart from the obvious cheapest option. Coins, Bars, Nuggets, a mix ? I am personally wary of coins as they seem to be both variable in content and price for the exact same thing from what I can tell, but are they a good option?

Someone Posted or has a Tag here i read that states "Silver is a gateway drug for Gold" , Should I be wary of having a taste? Would Platinum or Palladium be more to my liking?

I guess what I am asking is should I diversify my PM's? always a good thing I think to not have all my eggs in one basket but at the same time given my budget and I guess that of a lot of newbies just starting out with stacking should I build a decent reserve of Silver First then move on to softer/harder PM's or try and mix and match as I go?

And at what sort of ratio to enable a good mix on a budget? What ,When, Where and How people?

PS....Does Silver Stackers have an online counselor ? My family and friends are becoming concerned with my newfound relevance to Oz's and Grams....EI that trip to the video shop could of bought 1 Oz of Silver, that trip to Macca's could of bought us a gram of Gold.....I know it's me but they just dont get it. But ......is it just me?

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

What's your reason for buying PMs? What's your weekly/monthly budget you can buy PMs with?

Assuming you're already buying silver, you can simply do silver for gold swaps every now and again - save in silver, then do a swap for gold when you've saved enough. Alternatively, pick a coin like 1/10oz or sovereign or 1oz (whatever your budget is), or 5 gram bar etc, and buy one a week/month/quarter (although I wouldn't space out purchases more than a month apart).

Personally I'm 50/50 gold/silver at the moment, but am leaning towards going heavier on gold for a bit. So that's basically 1oz of gold for every ~48oz of silver.

But again, comes down to your reasons for buying PMs to give an educated answer.

3. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

There is no harm in diversifying your holdings by getting a bit of gold. I have a very small stack, but split almost 50/50 in value between gold and silver.

My very haphazard way of accumulating gold is to alternate between buying a 1oz coin, then 1oz worth of fractionals like sovs 1/10's etc. This way I enjoy the smaller premium on half the gold I buy, and get the extra liquidity due to the smaller size for the other half.... plus I am able to feed my addiction more often when I dont have to save up for a full ounce ;)

tbh I will probably move more towards gold stacking over time, I like gold more.

4. euphoria

euphoria New Member

The reasons coins are iffy is because of the high premium. If you can get coins for bullion price, I would jump on it like a fat kid on a cupcake. As for the ratio, there are numerous threads about what is ideal, but ultimately it is up to you. Generally gold is safer and less volatile but silver has greater potential gains (at least that the consensus) Personally I have around 40 ounces of silver to every ounce of gold as a ratio but thats not by grand design, its kinda ended up that way.

If you are talking individual grams of gold then you aren't going to find much gold without a hefty premium on it sorry. In that denomination, the 1-5g minted gold cards in tamper proof case are probably your best bet. Again personally, I don't touch platinum or palladium, partly because I do not understand them, and partly because in my eyes they are commodities whereas gold and silver are money. I would think most people worldwide would share that view. Everyone, regardless of stack size I think should have some allocation to coins and smaller denominations of both gold and silver. If you are starting to put serious money into it those premiums start to hurt and you would start stacking a greater number of bars with a sprinkling of coins.

Hope this helps

5. bellinvest

bellinvest New Member

Haha! sounds like a familiar story mate.

My brother, sister, mother all think i'm some looney.

My dad seems keen on it though and might throw 10k at it he said today :D

Mums wants a new driveway put in which i estimated would cost $5000. I told her to wait 5 years because the one she has is fine, in the mean time buy 5k worth of silver then if you want to sell a portion of it in 5years she can to fund her driveway!!!! :)

She replied...stop preaching to me :rolleyes:

Such Is Life