Gold Nuggets? Q&A

Discussion in 'Gold' started by BootyBandit, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

1. Anybody here collecting gold nuggets as an investment rather than bullion, also which carries higher premiums

2. What is a decent price for a

-0.50gram gold nugget

-1gram gold nugget

3. I live in queensland, Gold Coast, anybody know good places to dig for gold ? and what equipment do i need, as this would only be a hobby i dont really want to spend 1k on a minelab detector but please tell me the minimum equipment needed for looking for gold, thanks!

2. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

No gold prospecting near Gold Coast funny enough,think gympie,emerald,west of warwick.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Nuggets are highly tradable.but less so on SS than elsewhere.
    Contact Goldpanner if you want some advice re nuggets.
    REDBACK

4. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

Gold nuggets are a tricky thing to deal with if you don't know much about them. Somewhere on ss I posted about purity of nuggets.

If you know a bona fida prospector selling nuggets you may be able to get them at spot gold price but most prospectors these days want over spot for nice nuggets.

A beautiful nugget of high purity is worth investing in but as I say, you have to be certain it is genuine, where it was found and know its purity.

Much better to buy a detector (I recommend one of the older secondhand Minelabs to start with) and go out and find your own! :D

5. Ilikemetals

Ilikemetals Member

I feel like nuggets are less liquid than the clearly defined denominations found with the bars and coins. This sort of puts me off nuggets even though i do find them really awesome in their own sort of way. I'm thinking of organising a prospecting trip when the price of gold is even higher however, and of course will be very happy if i find a nugget or two!

As for locations, have a geez at some of the prospecting forums. Found a lot of good information myself.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Make sure you are where there is gold underfoot. River bed wet or dry, shovel and gold panning pan. Look for bends in the creek and dig at the base of big boulders..or wherever you get 'that feeling'.

7. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

There is a member on SS who is quite experienced with Metal detectors and the tech on how to use them effectively.

Name's purgatori.Shoot him a PM .Nice guy .Sure he would be happy to share his knowledge.

Tell him Boyou sent you :)