Gold Half Sovereign or silver 10oz bullion

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by SydneySilver, Nov 23, 2015.

1. SydneySilver

SydneySilver Member

With gold below $1500 and oz and silver below $20 at the moment, it's possible to pick either up for around $230 from a shop today.

So my question is, which would you choose if you were to buy one?

Cheers

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, the half sovereign is probably not likely to go up much in premiums, it has had many years to appreciate and the price you are paying above spot today is probably not likely to change much.

The 10oz bullion though, if it is a Perth Mint coin from a few years back before the milk spotting, and it is in good condition, it might continue to appreciate in value. Particularly if it is part of an ongoing series. People who have collected the 1oz series might go back and collect the other sizes. If it was a Dragon then I would say no contest, if it was one of the lame koalas then maybe not so much.

But I like silver and I like having a large lump of metal for my money. If I had to flee the country or I was collecting gold coins I might get the 1/2 sov.

3. silverreef

silverreef Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would go for half sov if I can find the ones with decent grade

4. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would go for the Half Sov, especially if they are in a decent condition and its Australian mint. Just because with the Silver 10oz bar, you will be just relying on spot to go up to appreciate your investment. Whereas with Half sov, you might get lucky and get a decent grade and it might worth something more to a collector?