Gold Fractionals

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by 940palmtx, Nov 12, 2011.

1. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I know I've seen a topic before, but I couldn't find it.
    I'm beginning to think Gold fractionals may be some of the best values out there right now.
    With Silver 1ozers less than 10 years old, going for 3-4 times spot, I see 1/20s and 1/10s going for less than even twice spot. I know with collectibles spot price takes a back seat, yet still I'm thinking that instead of going back from 2004 with my silver collection and paying 120-150 per coin...or more I may very well start a 1/20 collection, well not so much of a 'collection' more of a bargain or value purchase(s) I think I'd rather have a 1/20 for 120 than a an a silver oz for 120.
    As always, I know some of y'all know have everything figured out already, so if I'm missing something and I'm almost sure I am, I'd appreciate being set straight.
    Thanks again!

2. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

No idea why this posted twice, sorry

3. Mohur

Mohur New Member

I have a couple of gold 1/20 pandas 2006 and 2003 i think. They are just too small for my liking, just my personal opinion.

I recently purchased a 2010 1/4 gold panda, which is quite nice so may well continue to collect a set. I have tended to steer clear of gold pandas on the whole, but this may well change in the future.
    M

4. HustliN

HustliN New Member

Agree with mohur 1/20 are a little small. But they're cute in a way. I do love 1/10 ounce.

Do any 1 ounce gold pandas go for like 5x spot?

5. Anthony

Anthony New Member

The best thing you can do is to get a subscription to Pricepedia for around $5 month.

I also suggest getting the panda book.

Prices and mintages bounce around like crazy between the years. A difference of 1 year can mean over double the price.

6. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

I have so far stayed away from 1/20 and 1/25 fractionals. Like others have said..just too small and the premium too high. 1/10 is a reasonable size/premium balance,I think.

However,with Pandas and their incredible potential (if you get the lower mintage ones) the temptation is there to buy smaller sizes.

I really like to be able to see the design ,without the aid of a loupe :)

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

1998 Large Date 1/2oz Gold panda... worth over 20k ;)

8. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Find the bargains while you can. Scored a 2010 1/20 today for $92 USD. Fractionals have been trending up, and if gold breaks out they will command even greater demand.