Gold Fractionals Hot?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by 940palmtx, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190587498629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I thought I might stick my toe into the 1/20 pool, even though I have a couple 1/10s and would prefer to continue that collection. I thought the 1/20s would naturally be half the price, but they seem to be really hot. Besides the price I always look at the number of bidders and it seems a lot of people are bidding on the 1/20s, especially this one.

2. undftd

undftd Member Silver Stacker

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

the smaller the fractional, the higher the cost of minting is as a % of the total coin cost.

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

True...but at the beginning of July- 1st of august when gold was 52 per gram, only 54 now, a lot of 1/20 coild be had for between 120-125. Now? No way. In fact it's the reason why I bought a couple 1/10s for 205, because of the premium. Before it was as you said; and additional premium that is common with all the production costs of 1/20s. But the prices now are much higher than those premiums which indicate to me, the 1/20s are pretty hot collectables now, much more so than only a couple months ago. Same for 1/10s. The auction prices reflect a higher price than just a $2 per gram bump in spot.

6. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I've noticed the same trend at the coin shows around Chicago. For both loose and slabbed fractionals, whether AGE, Maple, Lunar, Kangaroo, Panda, etc., the 1/20 and 1/10 premiums moved up rapidly as gold was heading towards $1,900. Even with the decline back to the $1,600s the premiums have not reversed and the dealers I know have no intentions of reversing at this time because the demand is strong. At my local shop I was able to get a sealed 1985 1/20 panda for $90 over the weekend, however, although it took some haggling and purchasing more silver than I planned on.

7. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Excellent deal! I know what ya mean as far as the dealers. If people will pay, they're only too happy to charge.
    I've done a good job of resisting thus far, buying more 1/10s or any 1/20s that is, because I really want to collect 1/4s. My collection won't complete as fast, but I like the lower premiums, both on pandas and regular bullion. I may never be in the market for 1/2s or wholes, but hey, 4 1/4s still add up to 1oz...right? LOL

8. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

The prices for the 1/20oz Pandas haven't come down since the $1900 Gold spike, in fact they went up when Gold spot tanked -_-

I'm also buying 1/10oz & 1/4oz Pandas instead of 1/20oz for now :)

9. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Another example of great minds thinking alike... :D

10. heyimderrick

Thanks! I try to be a bargain shopper. It was the only gold panda they had and it had been sitting there for weeks.

I have almost all 1/10s and only a few 1/20s because those are what I could afford at the time. The extra premium does suck, but at least I was able to get a little bit of diversification. Now that my core silver position is reached, I plan to focus my efforts on gold a bit more and will likely boost to the 1/4s finances permitting. You're right though, 1/2s are hard to swallow sometimes. I'm also trying to start a little bit of a dealer business with a friend, so the personal buying is going to have to be tapered back a bit. :/

11. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

The 1/20 oz. coins were written about as a good investment in July which might be connected to the increased demand. There are different factors that affect populations for each size of gold Panda. The 1/20 Pandas were ignored for a long time but there are good reasons for accumulating them while they can still be found.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

12. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

But the 1/20 designs are too small to be seen?

13. heyimderrick

They are tiny. Best to take a picture using a good macro lens and look at it on screen. :D

[​IMG]

14. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Very tiny, and I most definitely cannot see the mint marks (Y/S) on my 1987 1/20oz Panda without squinting hard.

But the design overall I can see usually ;)

Not sure if I can still see them by the age of 60 though :p

15. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I've given up the idea of collecting 1/20s. It's not that they're too small, just the amount of money you have to pay for a gram & half of gold kills me.

16. lamp

lamp New Member

My favourite would be 1/4 oz if I can't afford 1 oz, cost of the 1/4 oz would be the amount I can afford on a monthly basis plus the preimum is acceptable to me.

17. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

3oz per year is pretty damn nice! I really like the 1/4. The premium is reasonable and i can save for a couple month to buy one instead of 1 1/10 per month