Gold coins in Hong Kong if you're passing through

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by JulieW, May 20, 2011.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Useful information from sovereignman.com if you're passing through and have a empty spot in your purse.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Thanks very much for this information... I shall consider buying from HK banks instead of going up to China to buy (fakes etc).

I never knew they stocked Gold bullion and Kuggerands even! Had my account with Hang Seng for 10 years and used to go in every week but never realized they sold this stuff >_>

No wonder when I enquired about delivery to HK from APMEX they said that nobody ever buys from them from Hong Kong...

3. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Everything is cheap in HK.

There is no sales tax on anything there when you go shopping.

Shoes, phones, watches, fishing gear etc...

4. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, on Tuesday afternoon at 3:39pm, when spot gold was trading at the equivalent of HK$11,597 an ounce (US$1,490), Hang Seng Bank was selling a 1-ounce Krugerrand coin for HK$11,605.

Is the Krugerrand 24k??????????

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Nope - 22k.

6. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

its an ounce of AGW though - that's the point

7. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

You'd better be able to measure/assay any coins you buy in Hong Kong... for me trust factor would be low for anything that could be faked...

8. fishball

Des Voeux Road/Central in Hong Kong is one of the most prominent and busiest places in the world. It's not like a shady dealer selling you from their coat lol. These places you buy from are the central bank branch in Hong Kong and are as trustworthy as they come.

Hang Seng bank is acquired by HSBC so basically they're the one and the same and they won't risk themselves by selling fakes, they have nothing to gain from it considering they're one of the world's biggest companies.

Having said that, nothing wrong with prudence and I'm sure if you bought fakes from them they would gladly refund/exchange for the real ones, just bring a scale to Hong Kong and weigh it at your hotel to determine if it's legit.

9. Mi lao shu

Mi lao shu Member

I was passing trow HK today and decide to visit BOC in Des Voeux Rd,here is the result:

[​IMG]
    Source:

2x1oz GP 2011...........12318HKD/PCS
    6x1/2oz GP 2011.........6227HKD/PCS

I also think it gold will fell down but this was test for Chinese custom, so no problem , coins r with me in China so i will see can i sell it and make some profit, also it is possible to resell them to BOC HK but only personally with original receive from purchase. If u want to sell 2010 GP and older they will calculated u only spot gold price without premium. But for 2011 GP premium is around 40HKD to sell it back so is not to big loss if price stay steady.

10. fishball

Hmm I got my contacts in HK to ask today about the Pandas in BOC in Central and the bank said that they don't have regular stocks of Pandas except during the Jan-March phase (new year, mint allocation).

You got really lucky someone sold back to the bank and you were able to buy, I wasn't :(

Ah well, I'll go back to China end of the year and take a look around see what I find :)