Gold Britannia Coins

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by ScottyRS, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

Hi All,

I may be in a position in a months time to invest in an ounce of gold. This would be a serious deal for me as I've never had this kind of cash available for such an item...

None of us can really know if gold will continue falling or at what rate but advise can be given on a safe purchase.

I was thinking a 1oz Gold Britannia might be a good investment rather than just a bullion bar? Would a coin sell better than a bar? I assume so with all my silver lunar purchases so far.

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would go for a coin (with a changing design) instead of a bar.

So a gold lunar would be a better buy than a gold britannia (if they are of the same price).

3. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

2014 Britannia horse on sale at jm bullion 1299usd And the only made 10k of them.

4. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

at this time of the year I would rather bag a 2014 1oz Chinese Panda, seeing that probably 2014 is the last year Panda bullion come in ounces...

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I will go for panda too

6. Andy

Andy New Member

I think as you are in the UK, you will probably pay a premium for any thing other than UK gold. Also I think there may be some CGT implications for non UK gold, when you come to sell. Buy Britannias or sovs is my humble advice.

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Brittania

8. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

That's an extremely good call!

My favorite are the Lunar... so i'd always be drawn towards a gold 1oz Lunar but for CGT the Britannia would work out better in the long run.

9. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Don't read too much into CGT for the small investor.

It's only a tax on profits made, and with a circa 10K allowance per year you would really have to go some to need to worry about it.

10. Luker

Luker Member

I hadn't seen this coin before (contained in an e-mail from Talisman Coins)

[​IMG]

Country Canada
    Year of Issue 2006

Face Value 300 Dollars
    Weight 60.00 g
    Diameter 50.00 mm
    Mintage Limit 1,250

Finish Proof
    Composition .5833 Fine (14-Karat) Gold
    alloyed with .4167 Fine Silver
    Edge Serrated (milled, reeded)

Artist Robert Ralph Carmichael
    Certificate Individually Numbered

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think that sovs and any other coins which are not .999 are subject to VAT, best to avoid unless you get a really good deal on them, might as well be buying gold rather than buying tax.

12. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

Not in the UK.

13. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

This thread started a while ago, but if you are still getting those pennies together and two thousand quid seems achievable, why not look at a Sovereign Proof set? FeeBay has them at silly money, the Royal Mint seems to over-price, but dealers like Chards seem to have a better deal: http://taxfreegold.co.uk/wesellbritish4coingoldsets.php

Personally I would try to make sure of a set with a Quintuple Sovereign, and if you want to save 500 quid the 1984 three-coin set has that and skips the double.

They are all moderately low mintages (and judging by the empty boxes for sale have suffered losses to melting or splitting), have a good wrapper to coin ratio, and may be a tad unfashionable, which may be a good thing :D:)

And yes, no VAT (and more importantly) no CGT in the UK.

14. smile4art

smile4art Member

Britannias are beautiful coins. Since 1987 the Britannia changes its design regularly.

From 1987 to 2012 (.917 gold, no VAT in Europe) the bullion version has the same design like the proof version. Some years are really hard to find, especially the proof gold coins because real mintages are very often below 1,000 or 500.

From 2013 on Royal Mint changed its policy and the Britannia is made of .999 gold/silver and the design by Philip Nathan will be on the coin's reverse, also in 2014 and will continue in future (I guess so. See silver bullions 2013, 2014, 2015). 2015 (also for silver bullion) has a new background, but Britannia design is the same. Only the proof version is completely different to the bullion version. So proof design of Britannia since 2013 will be rare, e.g. proof design of 2014 is very popular (see another topic here).

So if you want to buy gold Britannia then buy those popular designs until 2012 (bullion and proof). And from 2013 on I would suggest to buy only the proof version coins, but they are really expensive at Royal Mint.

15. duMaurier

duMaurier New Member

I have a 2014 1/4 oz Gold Britannia and was thinking of getting the 2013 also. The difference between the two is the 2013 does have Fine Gold engraved on it but does not say .999 where the 2014 does say .999 Fine Gold on it. Is there any cons to having the 2013 if I want to resale it later? I remember reading somewhere that a bullion that does not say .999 gold/silver on it is taxable. Reminds me of me wanting to buy a brand new 22k gold necklace but that is taxable in my country, Canada...what is a 2k difference!!

16. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Probably a bit late to this party but if i was in your shoes i would be buying coins.
    Specifically sovereigns and/or half sovereign.
    You can buy them pretty close to spot if you shop around and then if you want to sell and are not in a "need to sell" situation you can sell them n the bay or similar and ask a premium.
    There is also the off chance you pick up a rarer date for cheap.