going to buy my first stack of silver, what type of coins should i get

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by investor555, Apr 18, 2011.

1. investor555

investor555 New Member

ive only just begun researching heavily about silver and its pretty exciting.
    i was originally going to buy some perth mint 10oz bars but they ran out...so ive decided to buy some coins maybe 10oz worth.
    in your opinion guys what is the best coin i should get in terms of liquid-ness and it being wel known ?

ive heard that the kookabarra is good but i think thats sold out too. im not sure where to get them from?
    also should i buy them in 1oz's or more in weight?

thanks

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

3. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

When buying smaller quantities, buy from forum members. You will get better deals in nearly every instance.

Generic bullion bars and rounds will get you the most metal for your money.

Numismatic coins (Lunars, Roos, Kooks, Koalas, Britannias etc.) will always carry higher premiums due to designs and mintage numbers. Canadian Maples, American Silver Eagles, and Mexican Libertads typically sell for prices somewhere between generic bullion and the other premium coins mentioned.

Welcome and good luck.

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Hello,

If you are into liquid and well-known coins than 1966 round 50 Cent pieces ( 0.80 Ag & 0.34 oz of silver ) are good
    and any Kooks and Lunars too.

Kooks and Lunars will cost slightly more tho ( due to 0.999 silver & uncirculated cond & capsule that comes with them )

ie. Kook > 3 x 50 Cents ( in price and in weight 1 oz : 1.02 oz )

5. pete

pete New Member

Hi investor555, Steve at Aurora Et Luna has 5x 2oz Lunar Rabbits at a good price and Maggie is still taking orders for the Andean cats (2nd deliv) i do think the cats will hold a exc premium for resale later on (99999 fine) Whether you stick to the local mint or the exotics is your choice... just keep stackin.

6. investor555

investor555 New Member

oh i see, thanks for your help so kook's are generally better than the 50c pieces ?

hmmm cheers, its tough to decide!

but are the bullion bar generics very liquid? thats what im sort of worried about if its not.
    the only bar i can see at the moment that isnt out of stock is this
    http://bullionbourse.com/index.htm#ecwid:category=584922&mode=product&product=2114687
    its a 'morgan' bar, later on could i sell this easily, i havent heard much about this company

thank you heaps

im from the gold coast, im still stuck on if i should buy lunars or not......does anyone know when the kook's will come back in stock?

7. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Hey man,

Morgans are fine to buy, they just don't pull a 'premium' such as the PAMP swiss ouncers. I bought around 20oz of Silvertowne bars first up, then bought some Morgans. I'm just getting hold of some PAMP swiss, just to add a nice sheen to the top of my stack.

My advice, though I've only been stacking for a short while, is buy some bullion, 10oz if you can afford it, or ounce bars if not, I'm up to around 30+ ounces of bull bars, now buying some coins and premium stuff to give my stack character.

At the end of the day, the golden rule for me has been 'its your stack, make it yours'. Just buy what you feel like buying, if you want to buy solely premium PAMP ounces, go for it.

More to the point, enjoy the journey, I certainly have so far!!! :)

RD

8. investor555

investor555 New Member

heyy
    interesting, PAMP is pretty good but i dont really know where to buy it online, is it very liquid? lets say i wanted to sell it here would it go quickly?
    im new to all this and i dont realy know what sells quick..
    on this website they're selling 1oz bars of PAMP, i might just buy it, do you think its worth it?

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The problem I have with PAMP 1oz bars is the amount of premium you pay - personally I think you're better off buying lower premium silver and getting more ounces.

If you're looking for your first silver and want to get about 10oz, if you're having a hard time finding 10oz bars, you could simply get 30x 1966 50c pieces. Very liquid in Australia.

10. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Good call Gold pelican
    I still say silver is silver
    Buy what you can afford when you can lay your hands on it. Don't regret a buy as spot rises it becomes a bargain

11. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

i dunno if i'd call those coins 'numismatic', they cost slightly more than other bullion coins because of the capsule and the brittanias attract vat/gst cos they're not 999 but they're still minted in the order of 3-500,000. modern numismatics are more proof coins and stupid overpriced perth mint collectors issue crap.

not meaning to nitpick on your words, i just think that's a slightly misleading statement. Some of the series 1 lunars have become semi-numismatic in terms of higher premiums down the track just due to low mintage and gaining popularity, but series 2 has maxed out well and truly, i can't see there being some insane demand for 1oz 2011 rabbits in 10 years time.

12. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Do as this man says.

1966 50 cent pieces seem to be about as liquid as it gets at the moment.

13. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

+1

14. investor555

investor555 New Member

it may be liquid for now but what about years from now?

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Been liquid for 45 years so far ;)

16. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

If I could tell you what is going to be liquid years from now, I'd probably sell my car and go and buy it :)

17. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Still around after all those years. Who had to learn the song?

In come the dollars and in come the cents
    to replace the pounds and the shillings and the pence.
    Be prepared folks when the coins begin to mix
    on the 14th of February 1966.

18. hazy

hazy Active Member

I quite like Kangaroos, but maybe that is just coz I am from Canberra and they are minted here. There are some threads discussing them if you do some searching so wont go into it too much again. Stop loss with a dollar face value? Yeah baby.
    I have been trying to get some round 50s but outbid at every turn, I think they might be in a bubble ;) nah theye cool but for the same premium personally I would rather get one .999 coin of any kind rather than 3 round 50s. I would still like a few for giggles though.

19. bennybbc

bennybbc Member Silver Stacker

I would call Lunars a semi numi. Series 2 Lunars are already pulling good premiums. Try getting your hands on a cheap 1 or 2 oz standard Ox or Tiger compared to standard bullion coins. 1oz Rabbits sold out, 1oz mice sold out. They aren't going down in value as they become harder to get. They are also very liquid here on SS.

20. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I say to each their own. As long as the coins have "one troy ounce fine silver .999" or thereabouts, I'm not minding what design is on it. I also have a lot of pre-decimal Australian sterling coins, which are very recognised. :)