"Global Warming" Anomalies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mrsilverservice, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Here's my fav global warming anomaly....or should I say hypocrisy.....Gotta love the Greens.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...d/news-story/04b617906ce5e77e3a13dd4ddef0ddd0

Greens exposed as Bob Brown baulks at turbines in his backyard
    [​IMG]
    Former Greens leader Bob Brown. Picture: AAP
    Environmental crusader Bob Brown has exposed a conspiracy of silence by the Greens and their supporters on the true cost and unintended consequences of renewable power.

Dr Brown yesterday stood by his comments slamming a proposed $1.6 billion Robbins Island wind farm in Tasmania’s northwest. The response from the Greens party and environment groups to Dr Brown’s outburst was as quiet as a wind rotor on a dead-calm day.

The Greens and Australian Conservation Foundation refused to criticise either Dr Brown or the project, slated to be one of the biggest wind farms in the world if it goes ahead.

In the past, federal Greens leader Richard Di Natale has likened investigating complaints about wind farms and noise to taking seriously alien abductions.

He refused to support the appointment of a wind farm commissioner to handle public complaints. His staff yesterday said he did not wish to comment on his former leader’s protest.

A spokesman for the ACF said “we don’t have a view” when asked about Dr Brown’s objections to the project. “We don’t know enough about it,” he said.

The ACF “can’t say definitely either way” if it had ever objected to a wind farm development.

Political adversaries criticised Dr Brown for displaying not-in-my-backyard (NIMBY) hypocrisy in warning against the Robbins Island plan, but bird lovers who have been fighting wind farm developments across Australia for a decade would like the anti-development, anti-coal powerhouse to extend his concerns beyond Tasmania. When Hamish Cumming tried to interest Dr Brown’s foundation in the plight of Victoria’s endangered brolgas, which he says are threatened by wind farms, he was ignored.

By publicly opposing the Robbins Island development, Dr Brown has unleashed a decade of pent-up frustrations of nature lovers who fear industrial-scale projects are transforming rural Australia for the worse.

Dr Brown yesterday defended his fight against the wind farm proposal, which he compared to the Franklin Dam. The Hong Kong-based UPC Renewables Robbins Island and Jim’s Plain Renewable Energy Parks project will be one of the world’s biggest renewable energy developments.

It will include up to 200 wind towers, each stretching 270m from the ground to rotor tip.

Electricity generated from the project will be exported to the mainland via a new interconnector as part of the “battery for the nation” project supported by the federal government.

To get to the interconnector, electricity from the wind and associated solar farms must travel through some of the most spectacular scenery in the region.

The project is also located in a significant area for raptors and migratory birds. UPC said it had been conducting eagle surveys, with white-bellied sea eagles and Tasmanian wedge-tailed eagles nesting on Robbins Island.

The company said there would be a 1km exclusion zone around each nest

Dr Brown shocked many with his public protests against the development because of its visual impacts and the threat the massive windmills pose to birdlife. “I’m a big supporter of renewable energy and energy efficiency but this massive wind farm goes too far,” he said. “It’s comparable to the Franklin Dam for hydro-energy … you have to look to the environmental, economic and social consequences of this wind farm.”

Dr Brown said as well as the environmental impacts, he was concerned profits from the project “will not go to Tasmanians, but to the multinational building it”.

Emissions Reduction Minister Angus Taylor yesterday said: “This is a classic case of Greens’ hypocrisy. The Greens love nothing more than to lecture Australians about their preferred source of energy generation, but when it’s in Bob Brown’s backyard, wind farms are suddenly a bad idea.”

Tasmanian Liberal senator Eric Abetz ridiculed Dr Brown’s protests. “Consistency, integrity and facts are the three ingredients regularly missing from Bob Brown’s advocacy,” Senator Abetz said.

“And if he still believes in his slogan of ‘think globally, act locally’, the fact that the energy produced from the Robbins Island wind farm would be exported from Tasmania is irrelevant.”

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ this shouldn’t come as a surprise.

The majority of activists do not agitate from a moral imperative which is defensible regardless of the specific situation in which it is applied, but rather, they agitate from a desire to force their values on to others. This is often seen as hypocrisy by those who have different values, when really it is consistent with their immoral ideology.

Edit to add: as it turns out I’m happy Brown is opposed to it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    66rounds likes this.
  3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why?
    Because it exposes hypocrisy, or are you opposed to wind farms!

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Green party is the most stupid and worst party. Never vote for them. Always put them last on ballot!

6. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Snow tumbles in Canberra during GWS v Hawthorn game
    Football fans and commentators have been left in disbelief as the heavens opened and snow began to fall during Friday’s game in Canberra.

"It was expected to be a frosty night in the nation’s capital on Friday, but things went to the next level during the first quarter.

The heavens opened and the rain became to fall … only it wasn’t rain. It was snow making its way onto the ground in Canberra. Making it the first time in AFL history snow has fallen during a game.

Fans couldn’t believe what they were seeing and those sitting in the stands were just as caught out."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/s...e/news-story/afbaed8ff02ee513b422de754afbe525

That is a global warming anomaly ...

7. Oddjob

[​IMG]

leo25 likes this.
  8. Davros10

Davros10 Active Member Silver Stacker

It's snows in Canberra every 5 years or so. The AFL game being played here is a bigger anomaly.

9. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Ok but does it snow "there" in Canberra ....

10. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

The Pacific nation of Tuvalu has had a net increase of land mass of 2.9% in the last 40 years :rolleyes: the size of Disneyland in California and still Scott Morrison gives them $500m which could be spent here on the homeless and the helpless :(

Scott Morrison continues to disappoint :mad:

Source - stuff.co.nz

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The Book of Psalms Chapter 84 verse 12

O Lord of hosts,blessed is the man who trusted in You!

Oddjob and GoldenEye like this.
  13. Oddjob

Yes in deed. An ABC news report fact checked MP Craig Kelly's 2018 on same issue and concluded he was correct. Article below.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-19/fact-check-is-the-island-nation-tuvalu-growing/10627318

Kiribati also has seen growth in land mass.

https://stream.org/nation-kiribati-growing-not-sinking/

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get a copy / borrow from the library (if they dare to stock it), a book by Prof Ian Plimer. A former professor of Mining Geology at the University of Adelaide, South Australia, and Emeritus Professor of Earth Sciences at the University of Melbourne. Given he was attacked by all and sundry from the environmental side inc Al Gore, he must be over the target.

upload_2019-8-18_10-42-6.jpeg

One of the things that struck me reading this book some years back was his comments on the Pacific Islands, how they were created, on what and why now sinking back into the ocean.

"Sinking islands. One factor I never thought of is that the surface of the earth rises and falls. More than 150 years ago Charles Darwin showed that coral atolls grow on top of sinking volcanoes. As for Tuvalu, the Pacific island nation which is in danger of sinking under the waves, the land beneath it is sinking and the local ecology has been trashed when US Marines quarried the coral for a World War II airstrip. Its problems are real, but not necessarily due to global warming.

GoldenEye and jultorsk like this.
  14. JulieW

It is snowing microplastics in the Arctic. Plastics permeate all life on earth. Proven negative for life.

This is the emergency.

15. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe, but if we can stop wasting taxes on this fake man made climate change nonsense, we could use these funds to fix the real environmental problems.

16. l***g

l***g Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree

17. JulieW

So true. The studies of the effects of microplastics are moving forward but there's no doubt earth is undergoing a massive extinction event, and while whales dying from plastic waste filling their guts makes for powerful pictures, the presence of plastic at cellular level in all species on earth is something that evolution can't keep up with.

It's not scientific but common sense would point to plastics as a factor in wild animal infertility, strange animal plagues and insect populations plummeting.

I've been banging on about plastics for about a decade or more, not much has improved, recycling has been shown up as a corrupt industry deception, and a solution to something that is barely visible and that has swarmed the natural world is hard to imagine.

When plastics are in rain and snow, in the food we eat and within the cells of procreation, we're looking at another trick from Pandora's Box that has escaped, and we have way too many surprises on the loose already. Mankind can play god but like toddlers we haven't worked out how to clean up.

Hopefully the moves toward banning single use plastics by the EU will spread around the world, but considering the nonsense and carryon after the ban on plastic bags at supermarkets, it's a long road ahead (or possibly short if population reduction is as biblical as predicted!)

The late, great Planet Earth indeed.

What a piece of work is man, How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god, The beauty of the world, The paragon of animals.
    Sorry children.

Oddjob and 66rounds like this.
  18. Oddjob

As you can read in my posts, I don't buy into changes in global temps being driven by the population or industry. Earth does what it wants in conjunction with the sun's activity...always has, always will subject to the odd comet impact. I think from what I read we are more likely to suffer more from cooling as opposed to warming in the coming years which will have a greater impact on our ability to feed ourselves.

I do think we should try and manage what we can re not polluting our air and waterways (without going to silly extents and banning all plastics) and I think western society has come a long way in the last 50 years to clean up our act in this regard through both legislation and advancement in technology. Such acts start at home ie JulieW you note the banning of single use plastic bags. Yep, I was a tad pissed off at the time as those wonderful grey bags have so many secondary uses around the home but we move on and change our ways.

What it did force me to do was to find a new way to do the shopping as I was not paying 15-20c for a more eco friendly plastic bag/s each time I did the shopping. A wee Google search found me this product and after using it, I wish I'd had it years ago.

upload_2019-8-18_23-39-1.jpeg

GoldenEye, jultorsk and 66rounds like this.
  19. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For me "single use" plastic bags were never single use, I always used those plastic bags as bin bags. Now I just buy "official" bin bags. I consume more plastic then i did before as i now buy the much thinker plastic bags they sell at the checkout for 15c. Also because i always forget to bring them back in the car i keep accumulating them and end up just chucking heaps of them in the trash as they are no good as bin liners. Also many times i do shopping after getting off the train, so naturally i won't have a reusable bag on me. This is the consequence when people up top think they know better then the market, it normally backfires. I thought Coles and Woolworths plastic toys campaign was a nice way to tell the public they are fools and got sucked into paying for plastic bags :p. Though if i spend $40 or more, an extra 15c is of no consideration.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    mrsilverservice and 66rounds like this.
  20. JulieW

China has history, smart people who think ahead, and a need for food security.