"Global Warming" Anomalies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mrsilverservice, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, and given his credentials are a tad better than the likes of Al Gore, Tim Flannery etc , I'll take Prof Plimer any day.

GoldenEye likes this.
  2. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

The religious fanatics dont even believe in science. They say the earth is 6 thousand years old and was made in a day!

66rounds likes this.
  3. JohnnyBravo300

There have been more species on earth go extinct in history than live on the planet today, and humans weren't around for that.
    The problem is theres no science behind it, just emotions and lies.
    Plus theres no real plan to "fix" it that anyone would accept.

4. JohnnyBravo300

One thing I would really like to see and might help with overall pollution is LESS PACKAGING!
    You end up with a fancy huge box that was only half full to begin with and whatever inner packaging there is just for some rice or basic cereal and most other boxed foods.
    We dont have trash service so it has to be dropped off in town when we go and there is so dang much trash every week and wasted products and packaging.
    I've actually though about getting rid of it in the parking lot trash cans before we go home just to make my life easier, so I dont haul it all the way home just to bring it back to town again.
    In the winter we have to snowmobile and it's always alot to pack for what ends up being not much food.

66rounds likes this.
  5. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sunspots.

Today Is The First Day In History Where It Forgot To Rain Across The WHOLE Of Australia

There has been no rain today on Mainland Australia for the first time in history.

The unusual reading had the Bureau of Meteorology teams scratching their heads.

“The team can’t comprehensively identify a day in our records where there hasn’t been rain somewhere on continental Australia,” a bureau spokesman said.

Australia takes weather from all directions, which makes it a very rare occurrence for rain-bearing clouds to not hit the mainland.

There is still some chance for rain to fall, as the 24 hour period falls from 9 AM 11 November until 9 AM 12 November for BOM.

The hottest place in Australia today was Marble Bar in the WA Pilbara was the hottest place at 44.4 degrees just before noon.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    mmm....shiney! likes this.
  7. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/a...s-across-us-flights-cancelled-4-dead-weather/

....snowfall records shattered across the Northeast and Great Lakes. In Buffalo, New York, nearly nine inches of snow broke a 77-year old record. Parts of northern Michigan saw upwards of 30 inches of snowfall.
    -
    Somehow the no-rain-day in Oz must be Trump's fault...

BTW for those scientifically inclined on the forum - when the media says "first time in history"... Quote the article: "The team can’t comprehensively identify a day in our records where there hasn’t been rain somewhere on continental Australia,” a bureau spokesman said." - i.e., "we did not look that hard 'coz busy flapping about Greta-stuff, and our records go back to only mid 1800's covering only patchy parts of the Australian continent and oh, it's not been continuous monitoring on all stations anyways".

8. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm not sure why this matters; sometimes it rains and sometimes it doesn't. Anyhow, Melbourne has had so much rain lately that we've had a huge amount of vegetation growth and my gardener today said he's had to knock back heaps of work. He's booked out until Christmas.

jultorsk and 66rounds like this.
  9. Oddjob

Not sure where you got that story from JulieW as BOM site shows rainfall in different areas of Australia today 13/11/2019.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/rainfall/

Right hand side of page has drop down data for each state. Click a few links which note rain and it brings up data for that area up to and including today.

Example from Victoria below.

upload_2019-11-13_23-15-9.png

jultorsk likes this.
  10. GoldenEye

It rained in Melbourne for a week before the BOM's specially selected date and it's been raining ever since this magic date. It's just the BOM making a mountain out of a molehill, and trying to make out it's got something to do with the mythical climate change.

11. jultorsk

Story was ran at least in SMH two days ago: "BOM forecasts no rain" (https://www.smh.com.au/environment/...got-to-rain-on-australia-20191111-p539cy.html)
    Of course there was rain, but "we should still be worried" (and bash ScoMo and Trump and continue the endless hand-wringing and self-flagellation). https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/11/rain-australia-climate-change/
    Business as usual in the #ClimateCult it seems.

That said, I did enjoy the now ancient wisdoms of Crichton. Maybe someone else will too so sharing here: http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/images/stories/papers/commentaries/crichton_3.pdf

12. Oddjob

Cheers for the direction on the date. I must admit I missed the date in JulieW's post but it did rain on 11 Nov too.

GoldenEye likes this.
  13. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's probably the wrong place to drop that story sorry.

I thought it interesting from the perspective of long range weather gurus concerning the gathering effect of sunspots, actually the "no sunspots" activity that those who know point to a very hot and dry period for Oz.

Of concern, also on the same topic, is the danger of a Carrington event, which appears to be connected in some way to the solar flares and sunspot activity.

Oh well.....

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I’m not sure how much impact sunspot activity has on weather in the northern half of Australia, climatologically it probably does but a wet season hinges on the monsoon and I think it’s Rossby waves or something. It’s expected that the Western region is going to have a better than average chance of an active cyclone season whilst the Gulf and Qld a less than average season. However, as the 2018/2019 season showed, even in seasons where there's expected to be lower than average cyclone activity, it only takes one event eg as happened separately in Townsville/Port Hedland/inland southern gulf region and the ramifications are catastrophic. Australia is a big place and weather events such as daily/seasonal rainfall vary naturally, so predictions about no rainfall for the entire continent of Oz are fraught with danger.

The upshot of that ramble is that anomalies in weather events are probably not accurate indicators of future climate patterns. One super duper snow season in the Snowy Mountains which is a series of weather events doesn't discount the theory that the earth is warming which is a climatological event, and conversely, one day of no rainfall across the entire continent or one season of above average sea surface temps in the Coral Sea isn't proof of global warming.

[email protected] and JulieW like this.
  15. jultorsk

"Carrington event" could indeed happen again if a solar flare or CME would suitably direct towards Earth. More sunspots, more likelihood of CMEs (https://www.sws.bom.gov.au/Educational/2/3/9). Always hedging bets though:

“While we are not predicting a particularly active Solar Cycle 25, violent eruptions from the sun can occur at any time,” said Doug Biesecker, Ph.D., panel co-chair and a solar physicist at NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center.

However, a grand solar minimum does not necessarily spell only very hot and very dry for Australia, floods and hail are equally likely. There's a fascinating anecdotal record of UK and Australia (well, mainly Sydney) from the Dalton Minimum era in the Appendix of this document (longer version in the document) https://www.actuaries.asn.au/Library/Events/SUM/2013/Sum2013PaperBrentWalker.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.16.43 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.18.31 am.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 1:02 AM
  16. GoldenEye

I'm not surprised that the BOM has told a little fib about this, as these scientists have lost all credibility in my eyes. I've put them into the same category as the now discredited scientists at the University of East Anglia who were exposed by the Wikileaks ClimateGate event.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. GoldenEye

This makes me wonder why with all our super intelligent bankers and financial experts around the world, they're still giving out 30 year loans to people buying beach side properties. It's obvious that all these people know the truth of the fake climate change story. So the bankers know their loan investment is safe in these locations, and they're saying nothing about the hoax.

jultorsk and [email protected] like this.
  19. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is an alternate theory that they are just not as smart as you think and will find them organisation out of pocket. If they were all really smart banks would never go bust but even with all their advantages sometimes they do. Don’t give the deep state with such credibility.

GoldenEye likes this.
  20. jultorsk

Again, Venice is built on a lagoon. Remember all those media stories back a while ago how the city is sinking because they pumped groundwater from beneath?

Anyway, water + king tide + southerly winds (scirocco) on Adriatic = flood. 50 years ago the flood there was worse. Bet they blamed ScoMo and Trump then as well.

Fun history for the day; the Croats recorded a 10.87m wave on the Adriatic before that flood in Venice. Before that, a similar wave was observed in the late 1980s (when we were still expecting to die of an imminent ice-age). The Croats call scirocco winds 'Jugo'. From historic references:
    "The Republic of Dubrovnik had a collection of books written between the period of 1272 – 1808 which stipulated all manner of life and law in Dubrovnik. In it, the Republic had a provision stating that no major decisions, rulings or deliberations could be made when Jugo was blowing and punishment for crimes committed during Jugo would be reduced."

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 11:53 PM