Global Protests

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by willrocks, Nov 28, 2019.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone noticed the number of serious protests happening around the globe? Nearly all of them are fueled by anti-government sentiment.

I don't think I've ever seen this many running concurrently before.

2. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

One of the biggest protest /in nearly 50 countries/ against big Monsanto and their toxic product GLYPHOSATE- still consider safe in Australia.:confused::confused::confused:

willrocks likes this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like Monsanto.

Edit to add: they play a huge role in preventing death.

4. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How?

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Monsanto provides the products that assist large scale food production. Their GMO are aimed at reducing insecticide and herbicide use, again for large scale food production. One could argue that Monsanto has fed the world.

Personally I think the days of broad acre farming and industrial methods which have an intrinsic component of Monsanto products, are at the beginning of the end. It's an unsustainable model and farmers are moving toward more diverse, and sustainable, farming methods.

I'm also not a supporter of GMO crops. I remember reading of an experiment where animals moved instinctively to a non-modified feed in preference to the same GMO version. Animal instincts are enough for me.

I think the trade off for the insect, bee and animal populations versus increased yield is not good either.

Monsanto produces bee killing insecticides and cancer inducing herbicides and pesticides for our food crops. The weird circumstance where we humans grow crops of corn to feed to cattle to marble their flesh for the dinner plate, or MacDonalds etc, is one of the strange food industry pathways that would not be possible without Monsanto products.

And if you give credence to karma and the whole vibe of collected consequence and action, then during World War 2, IG Farben made a particularly nasty pesticide called Zyklon B which was used in Hitler's gas chambers. After the war IG Farben re-branded itself as Bayer which in turn has now been taken over by Monsanto.

Monsanto was also one of the producers of Agent Orange during the Vietnam War so the history attached to that cancer causing bottle of weed killer in the garden shed, is as dangerous as the product itself, but yes, apart from a percentage of people that Monsanto has, and continues, to kill, they do also prevent a lot of death.

kilo, Silver260 and madaw1 like this.
  6. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

You mean contributing to death...?! GLYPHOSATE, GMO,and some others preventing death ??? HOW???

7. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

8. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

I agree mostly with your view about Monsanto,however if the company kills through the products they producing thousand people and prevent another thousand or even 10 times this figure from death by using GMO food which in fact damage DNA and cause more deaths for future generation-there is no excuse for the company to operate on this basis. I've witnessed personally many times the effect of Zyklon B when visiting concentration camp in Auschwitz-they didn't produce than the product for goodness of humankind-they are not producing now-full stop.

9. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bayer took over Monsanto

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

Moot point.

imho Large agribusiness should be dismembered. They have acted in their own interests as any company would. However when the health of the planet is at stake it is unconscionable.
    They (eg Bayer) are adverse to diversity and this is unsustainable in a natural environment. Nature intrinsically attacks monoculture. We mess with this at our own peril.

kilo, Silver260 and JulieW like this.
  10. JulieW

Don't misunderstand me please. I think Monsanto is a blight on the face of the earth. On the balance of probabilities I think Monsanto has shortened as many lives as it has extended. GMO is just a recipe for future disaster, and to continue producing Neonicotinoid pesticides to sell to places where they've not been banned is immoral and potentially a giant population killer.

Break up Monsanto into a large collection of companies directed to do no evil and continue their good works.

STKR and madaw1 like this.
  11. JulieW

Thanks for the correction, AND I could not agree more.

12. mmm....shiney!

Enhanced food production means less deaths caused by famine.

GMO doesn’t kill, and every chemical we use in agriculture has the potential to cause harm, it needs to be used wisely.

13. mmm....shiney!

There’s your benevolent dictator side showing again.

openeyes, Silver260 and JulieW like this.
  14. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Everything is better with bacon.

sammysilver likes this.
  15. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Many factors affecting many countries, high inflation (rising food prices), stagnant or falling income, rise in temp workers in "fake" gig economy, death of brick and mortar, and high property prices (affecting the richer economies).

In the end, this will hit lower income countries disproportionately since a larger percentage of income is spent on food (up to 50%) and when food prices double, people will literally starve, eat 1 meal instead of 2 meals a day.

16. JohnnyBravo300

They can protest all they want as long as they keep paying taxes. The government has plenty of bullets for when it becomes a problem.
    When a protester becomes a beggar it's not effective.

17. JohnnyBravo300

Women's rights in mexico? Hahaha that's hilarious.

18. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

19. JohnnyBravo300

And they want nuclear reactors? Great idea!

20. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Are there any "benevolent" companies? NO!

They are all about profit (and sometimes control). The larger ones like Monsanto also need to "manage" the sheep herd (you and me) via their technologies, along with other such companies. Like the big companies that put fluoride in the toothpaste, yes kills cavities and kills you too over time (or at least dumbs you down).

Think of them kind of like the way farmers are to their livestock (we being the livestock). At the end of the day, the farmer kills the animals to further their needs (the farmers).

This is how it is in the real world. People need to take responsibility and not think of big companies (or government) as a surrogate mommy and daddy that takes care of us so we can focus on having fun all the time.

If anyone really wants to see "evil" in big company form, do some investigating into the pharmaceutical/medical community in general (medical mafia). Untold conflicts of interest like some doctors getting monetary rewards (from the pharma companies) for prescribing certain meds to their "patients". Then in a few years find out the medication was toxic, etc.

Doctors pushing chemo that "extends the life" (maybe a few weeks/months?) as the patient lives in constant pain and sickness during that time, while doctors bill thousands and thousands to the insurance companies, knowing their sheep is dead soon. Anyone who has seen family members dying of cancer probably have witnessed this. It's all about the Benjamins. Never a Cure, just Treatments. Brilliant!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019