gemstone 1kg lunar ox

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by phrenzy, Oct 20, 2014.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Hi all!

My local bullion dealer/jeweler has a 1kg gemstone ox in at the moment. They actually told me thry had a 1kg BU ox in at a fairly good price but when I got in there it turned out to be a gemstone edition. It's not as cheap as the BU coin obviously but since they had me down there for something else and I've been buying a fair amount of silver there recently they've offered it yo me at a reasonable price, I think.

Thing is, I can't find a price for a 1kg gemstone lunar ox anywhere, near as I can tell there isn't even one for sale on ebay internationally at the moment.

The ox wouldnt be my first choice but given they're willing to be nice to me on the price I'm seriously considering it.

Could someone tell me what they think it's worth or what they've seen it sell for recently? The capsule is a little scratched but the coin itself is in perfectly nice condition.

Not being my first choice I might get it and try and trade it to someone, would 50 ounces of BU lunars made up of any combination of 2-10oz coins be in the ballpark?

Thanks in advance for your help, tracking another one of these down to get a price fix is proving aa challenge.

2. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

32 oz is already too much! :p

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

not much enthusiasm for the gem stone editions... not even the dragon

Silver + anything else seems to be a bad idea... pure Ag all the way

4. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

As above don't bother with the gemstone coin unless you really like it and can buy it for the same price as the BU version.

5. phrenzy

Ouch, that's less enthusiasm than I was expecting. I think it cost like $1750 new.

So like $800 give or take is all it's worth? Would you guys buy it at say $850 or is it not worth that much more than the silver it's printed on?

I actually really like the high relief but I'm bullish about bullion and I'm still in the wilderness on what's reasonable for premiums on perth mint stuff. By nature I like bullion bars, the lower premium the better (maybe a little extra for name brand bars so they are more attractive when it comes time to sell) but after seeing some of the cooler coins I can't seem to help myself.

6. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

If you are going to buy it to turn it over you may be stuck with it for a long time. Buy it because you like it or leave it alone is my advise.

7. clear

clear Well-Known Member

If they are selling at $ 850 take it.

8. phrenzy

I do like it but I also like drinking coke but not at $9 a bottle :) I would probably try and flip it eventually, particularly if I saw another coin I really liked that I might try and trade it for. If I ended up keeping it I wouldn't be too upset at all as it's actually pretty nice in person, I'm just not sure what it's worth, I don't mind owning it as long as it's at a fair price.
    So standard 1kg BU pm lunar coin price is the rough standard? Those seem to be a little all over the place depending on year too...

It's a shame because I REALLY like the look of the gem 1kg tiger, I wish they had that instead. Knowing that they don't command much of a premium does make me happy in that regard though since I might find a snake, tiger or dragon gemstone cheap one day, although if they cost so much new I'm sure they don't change hands very often as people won't take the loss.

9. phrenzy

No its just the coin in the capsule. They offered me at the normal 1kg bu coin price initially so I might ask them if they will match that.

I've actually found adelaide exchange quite reasonable when it comes to bars even if they are quite high when it comes to 1oz coins when it comes to both buying and selling. Even with their $10 premium over their in house brand bars for perth mint or pamp (when thru have it) kilos they tend to be $20-30 better a kilo than any other local places.

Not really relevant to the point of the thread but since it's come up, are their in house bars recognised enough within Australia that people won't want to drill them when it comes time to buy? The first silver I bought was some of their half kilos with a couple ABC mixed in. The next lot I bought I paid the $10 extra to get perth mint kilos but now I'm a little worried that if I want to sell them to anyone but back to AE they might not like them. They were quite clear that if I want to trade them for perth mint bars I would have to sell the AE bars at their buy price and buy the PM bars at the sell price, they wouldn't let me trade them kilo for kilo with a little premium. Not that this is unreasonable, I should have done done more research first.

10. phrenzy

I decided to do it, they gave me a good price. Given what they cost new and the fact that according to a few sites that track mintage and sales they only sold a little over 300 gemstone ox I think it's a safe bet. It actually cost me less than the 1kg bu dragon I bought online but I'm starting to think I overpaid there, I know the dragons popular but being popular there must be loads of them. I think it will be 2/5/10oz coins for me from now on. I probably will try and trade or sell it but frankly I won't be very disappointed if I end up holding on to it for quite a while as it's actuality quite a nice coin.

I'd really like some tigers next... which is mad since I started out not long ago with the idea that I should be trying to stick to mid sized bars to maximise my silver weight.

Last question, can someone recommend a material that will not stain the silver I could use to pad the coin inside the capsule? The capsule is a little scratched but I opened it up and although the coin inside is in quite nice condition there are some small marks around the bezel that I think are from moving around inside the capsule. I was thinking of just using some cotton cloth or paper towel and putting 4 wads every 90 degrees to secure it better but I want to make very sure that whatever I use won't leave a mark on the coin.

Also, given the scratched capsule does anyone know if you can buy replacement 1kg capsules at a reasonable price?

Thaks for your help everyone, I've found some great info ask through the forum and people have been very helpful, I'm very glad to have signed up its cleared a whole lot if things up for me on a range of topics.

P.S I'll take a picture later today with my big flash. The gemstone eyes came out quite spooky when I took a pic with my phone, I think the effect with my proper camera and flash could be pretty cool.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you have to buy a new capsule.

If you have to remove the coin.

You may as well buy a bullion coin.

Collector coins are wanted by collectors; I can tell you that, no one here on this forum, that is a true collector, would touch that coin.

Personally, I think the coin is worth spot plus about 2%.

Save your money I say.

H

12. phrenzy

I ended up getting it.I managed to get it pretty cheap, not spot plus 2% but I thought it was pretty good. I may have overstated the issues a little but at the price I'm fairly happy with it.
    I appreciate everyone's help though, I might have way overpaid otherwise.

I'm also coming around to liking the design, I don't think it will ever replace the tiger, dragon and snake as my favorites but I don't think I'll be disappointed if I end up keeping it at all.

Thanks for your help everyone.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well phrenzy...I'm glad you are happy with the coin and the price and...welcome to the forum.

I hope you have many fun years of collecting. :)

H