garrett ?

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by dirkclod, Feb 25, 2014.

1. dirkclod

dirkclod New Member

gonna jump in and get one !Will be in Mississippi looking around old home places and creeks for anything and everything. looking at a garrett at pro and a garrett 350 , has anyone had any experience with these ? thanks

2. dirkclod

dirkclod New Member

am looking at kits on e-bay and just not sure if at pro worth the difference in price.

3. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Out of the two detectors I would go with the AT Pro if you can afford the extra cash. Reason being the Pro is fully waterproof (which can come in handy especially when detecting creeks) and has better discrimination abilities. The Pro also packs a little more punch than the 350, i.e deeper ground penetration and sensitivity on the small stuff. But.. if your budget's tight, there's nothing wrong with the Ace 350, it's a great machine for the price and I know a couple of guys successfully using them.

If the creeks you're intending on detecting contain a lot of hot rocks (ironstone), than you may even want to consider the AT Gold for it's improved ground balancing ability / options. The AT Gold is a more sensitive machine than the AT Pro and as I mentioned has improved ground balancing in hot ground, however this does come at the cost of notchable discrimination (the AT Gold is configured with fixed presets). The reason behind the lack of discrimination is simply because when you're out hunting for gold you don't want to over discriminate, otherwise you risk excluding certain sized nuggets ;).

I've done a great deal of coin and relic hunting with my AT Gold and have no problems distinguishing between targets, its just a matter of learning your machine.

Anyway I hope I haven't complicated your decision, let me know if you have any other questions about these machines as I'm familiar with all 3.

Cheers,
    Squiggles

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Old house locations can be a treasure trove or a nightmare of rubbish.

Investigated an abandoned homestead pad a few years ago and found 200 boot tacks. You know from when they used to nail/tack the leather soles onto boots :(

5. dirkclod

dirkclod New Member

Thanks for the info. went ahead and got the 350 and it came today. can't wait till I can go !!:D

6. Silverdigger85

Silverdigger85 Member

Good luck and hopefully you find some nice treasures,be sure to post some pics of your finds.I own an AtPro and it paid for it's self in less then 6 months thanks to our $1 and $2 coins :D it's a gold mine when it comes to finding them.