Garrett Australia dicking me around :/

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Squiggles, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Its seems Garret Australia are in the middle of moving their warehouse and its the customers who are paying the price.

I placed my online order 9 days ago after calling to ensure everything was in stock and my order is still awaiting fulfilment :(

I'm not too happy about it to say the least, especially considering there was no mention about the delay when I called. I was told it would be delivered within 3-5 days.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait it out I guess :rolleyes:

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Ask for a refund on your delivery charge at least ?

3. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

They said they would chuck in a freebie, that was last week. After several emails they said it would be shipped today and I requested express which they agreed but I don't think its been sent tbh.

4. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be good if they throw you one of their pinpointers. Handy things. :)

Maybe just a hat and a keyring though. :(

5. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Now come on squiggles, ease up boy.. Rome was'nt built in a day. When you consider the time it'll spend in the shed doing nothing , whats a couple of weeks !! Besides they're probably feeling the after mart of the big storm. That should move abit of top soil.

6. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

Stubbie holder?

7. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

My order already includes a pin pointer amongst other bits n pieces :)

I agree with what you're saying Butch, I just think they could have handled things a bit better. My last order shipped in two days, I guess that's what I came to expect from them.

I'm not out to bad mouth Garrett in anyway, just venting a little.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

8. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I know what you mean squiggles, in the mean time start planning your first trip make sure you have all the right gear. (knee pads) I reckon their a must when working rough ground. Something else that no ones mentioned but over here in the goldfields I believe you need two people to do the job properly. One to operate the machine, the other to cart the gear and dig the strikes. Turn about of course. Dont wear steel toe cap boots or rings on your fingers. There's lots of little traps but you'll sort them out, Cheers.

9. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Thanks mate, I've probably watched over 25 hours of YouTube vids in preparation lol, but I'm certain I will learn the most from getting out there and having a good crack at it.

First two trips already planned, Nundle and Hill End. I've got a few other guys going, some with detectors and some without (caddies). The only issue there is when we strike it big, do I share the loot or kill the caddie, haven't decided yet lol (that is my lame attempt at making a joke by the way) :)

10. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Most likely, the pro pointer is about $150 - $200.

I bought one a year or two back and it's still going strong.

[​IMG]

If you're doing the park scene especially, I consider one of these an essential purchase if your machine doesn't have an inbuilt pinpointer.

That said, it's the only Garret product I personally own as I'm a Minelabs boy myself.

Hope you get your shipment soon Squiggles, my pinpointer took 11 days to get to me - but I ordered it direct from the US!

11. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

I have one of those in my order so its not big deal, my detector also has inbuilt pin pointing.

Speaking of the park scene, I have been scoping out a local park in anticipation of giving the once over but.. are you allowed to just walk onto a local park and start digging holes? The park I speak of is heavily guarded by groundskeepers during the day and I'm not sure if they would appreciate me wondering around poking holes in their luscious lawn.

Edit: Spelling correction

12. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Depends if it's public/crown land or not and which State you're in.

Some states require you to purchase a fossicker's licence first, some (like NSW) don't.

If it's public crown land though and you're not damaging the place by digging big holes and not filling them properly, then the grounds keepers have no problem. It's essential that you learn how to properly dig a plug so that it can be filled in correctly and not kill the grass when you refill the plug.

I personally have a 'rubbish' bag with me and no matter what I dig up, I always take it with me. I've been stopped by a couple grounds keeper's before and after a brief chat (and you show them the nasty stuff you're removing from the grounds), they're usually thankful as you're doing no damage and essentially removing a potential safety hazard (or lawsuit) for free. Council lawnmowers can turn bottle caps into very nasty things when kids run around on parks and grounds keepers are well aware of the fact.

In addition, I'm not obnoxiously intrusive on other people's space. If the kids are playing on the ground I'm not running my machine in and around them, I always select a quiet part of the park to detect in or keep to hours where foot traffic is minimal.

BUT you need to check and make sure the grounds are not private property (you need permission before you dig) and it's a big no no to fossick in national parkland at all, no matter which state you're in and places like Schools.

Whilst the pickings potential in places like school grounds might be tempting, be very aware you can get into some pretty serious trouble hitting places like that.

Rule of thumb is that if it's crown/public park land without fences and warning signs to keep out, you should be fine.

I do the Sydney park 'scene' and over dozens of parks have never, ever once been told to clear off because of the way I do things. Just be aware of the rules and regulations first and if you're not sure, ask.

But I've never had a problem with digging public grounds and parks before.

13. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Wow, thanks mate. That's a very informative post.

I will definitely look into it a bit more and learn how to plug correctly. I've got one of those Lesche digging tools for parks, I might go dig up the backyard for practice :)

14. Auspm

Auspm New Member

I'll make a new thread with an instructional video.

It'll explain it very simply.

15. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

What is the pinpointer and what does it do? Thank you : )

16. Auspm

Auspm New Member

The basic description is that it's a mini 'all metal' metal detector.

It's a wand that when switched on will vibrate and beep more loudly/more quickly the closer the point of the wand is to a metallic target.

When you find the general area of a target with your metal detector and dig the hole to retrieve it, the coil on the machine will often be WAY too big to pop into the hole and even if you could, it won't give you a precise location.

So once the hole is dug, you use the pin pointer detector to locate the target within the hole ie 'pinpoint' it's location.

It's a great time (and sanity) saving tool as a decent metal detector can pick up targets a gram or two in size and less, but you will stuff around for ages digging a hole trying to find it if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

Here, see how it works below...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPlznK2BdR4[/youtube]

17. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

18. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Conveniently get lost, bury the monster of a nugget somewhere else, get rescued, then go back a few days later ON YOUR OWN to dig up said nugget. :lol:

19. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Thank you Auspm

20. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And if it's Queensland, particularly in the Palmer River Region, make sure you have (1) company you can rely on to back you up and (2) the means to protect yourself. Otherwise you might just "disappear" as has apparently occurred recently. :(