Free Stack Calculator

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sticks, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Not being happy with spreadsheets, this wet melb weekend I finally sat down and wrote a small program to keep me updated on how my Stack was performing.
    Thought it might be of useful to others in the group.
    It has a 2 Database's - 1 for silver purchases and 1 for Gold Purchases (Unlimited records) All you enter is Date, - Ounces, Total Costs, - Exchange Rate, and Comment if needed. Program works out Average Cost Per Ounce, and amounts and Price per ounce in US Dollars - Use TAB or SPACEBAR to move throug Fields.
    Then Press Post to paste record into Database. (Records can be Deleted or Edited at any time.

Images are 75% size.
    [​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

After entering Purchase, just Post to Main Screen, and everything is done Automatically, All you need do on Main Page is to update Spot Prices and Exchange rate.
    [​IMG]
    Source:

If you want a copy -Just download it Here.
    Note : As errors are detected and fixed - Newer versions will be posted - So to get latest updates always check latest postings
    http://www.sticksplace.org//Dloads/StackCalc.exe

It comes in a Single Exe File, Place it in a folder, then run it - It builds the Database file automatically, Play around with it (I dont do manuals)
    After you have updated information, when you exit the program it writes a small INIT file in the folder, Then next time you run, it will come up with the same info you last entered.

Any suggestions for changes are welcome.
    Cheers.

2. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Great Job Sticks !!!

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Thanks Sticks

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Awesome work Sticks.

My only suggestion is adding an "physical format" calculator similar to the silver stackers calculator e.g. I buy 100 x 1966 50c coins for $$10.20 each so the program calculates how many ounces that is and calculates the total cost, then divides it by the number of ounces to generate the cost per ounce.

Is there a way of inputting/viewing holdings in kilograms? If I buy a 1kg bar, do I have to covert it to ounces before entering it into the program?

5. Sticks

Sticks New Member

I may add a few more Tabs Later and have various calculators on it - Will look at it Later.
    I'm already making another version - Have Compacted the readouts, and can fit 4 stacks on Main Screen - So will add another 2 Databases and set it up so they can be customised to users requirements - Platinum - Copper - anything they want - as long as its sold in ounces.

As for the Kg Problem - I can do a quick change and set it up so you enter the amount of Kgs in the ounces Field - So you would enter 5 and I can put a small button above that field , so that when you press button it will multiply whatever is in the field by the appropriate number.

I'll Do that after Tea, and upload it to server - Will Post here when done

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bug report: I get an "invalid floating point operation" error message on opening.

This pops up again when you go to the main page after entering purchases and click the increase button on the Total ounces field - the numbers start counting upwards quite rapidly and all the fields go nuts with everything being recalculated.

Also happens with the exchange rate on the main page as well.

7. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Happened to me Once - Divide by zero error - was caused by Fields having zero fields there when I started program, but once I entered values then quit program it came up okay - and seems to be working okay now. I will look into it - Trace it down and correct it.

Go back and download another copy - Have just changed the program to fix you Kg problem - Just enter number of kilos in the ounce field THEN STEP THROUGH TO NEXT FIELD costs then Press Kg to Oz button it will multiply number in ounce field by 35.2739619 this is rounded down to 4 decimal places in program. Button is then Disabled, but is re-enabled after you post the record.

Another Quick and dirty Fix - I'm no programmer - Just a retired Truckie with to much time on my hands, I just use the "Suck it and See" method. LOL

8. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Have just gone looking for whats causing problem, seems to work okay here - but It did happen to me once only. What I will do if problem doesn't fix itself when you have entered data - I will compile a new version and have one ounce of Gold and silver hardwired into program as defaults. When you post real data in it will overwrite this and hopefully this will overcome the problem.

9. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

mac user :(

not really sad faced about using a mac over windows. just can't run your calc.. :)

10. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

This is really useful well done! I'll need to uses yours over the next few weeks to see if it works out better than my stock standard spreadsheet info..

Personally, I've always used excel and simply refreshed the page with the latest spot prices. I've found a useful youtube entry which will guide you through implementing it on your own spreadsheet data. It maybe another way of keeping a record on your up's and downs.

Just cut and paste this link to your browser:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd_F6kryDqE&feature=related

11. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Interesting Video - But Im not into spreadsheet programs
    I run KCast.exe - a Free program from Kitco that displays Gold and Silver prices on my Taskbar. it updates about every 30 Secs

[​IMG]

At the Moment I'm trying to figure out if I can write a routine that will read these values and import them into a Program.
    Havent figured out how to do it yet.

12. rml978

rml978 Member

as a maths teacher, this is the SHTF scenario that I fear the most.... :p

13. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Mac User as well :(

BUT, happy to run this under Paraells (emulates Windows under a Mac) just for the Silver Calculator :) Thanks Heaps

14. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Are the figures in your spreadsheet accurate there sticks? 13,517.363 ounces of silver? Jeepers, quite a stack !

15. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Gold Figures are just junk figures I entered, but Silver is about right, I got in early Average Cost $16.60, That's my pension fund.
    Think I will get more - Even Half ton sounds about right. LOL

16. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Just upgraded the Stack Calc Program, Got trimmed down some, tidied up and got rid of some clutter.
    It now supports 4 Stacks and they can be customised to meet a variety of different needs.
    I think I got rid of that elusive divide by zero error.
    Been playing with it most of the afternoon, Had no troubles it seems stable. but its still a work in progress.

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

Download here.
    http://www.sticksplace.org/Dloads/StackCalc2.exe

17. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Bees wax - haha

18. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

all good