Free Market absolutists, I want to see you defend this...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Roswell Crash Survivor, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"Man Who Hoarded 18,000 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer To Resell: I'm Not Sorry"
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...of_hand_sanitizer_to_resell_im_not_sorry.html

Original Report (Pay Wall)
    "He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer And Nowhere To Sell Them"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

"Tenn. brothers donate sanitizer products bought for resale"
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/mar/15/tenn-brothers-clear-stores-of-sanitizer-products-f/

TL;DR
    • Two brothers from Tennessee bought large quantities of sanitizer in early March
    • Managed to sell some quantity on Amazon and/or eBay at 5-20x mark-ups for profit
    • Amazon and eBay banned their accounts, and other similar accounts
    • Tennessee Attorney General has issued cease-and-desist letter
    • Brothers have since subsequently donated their inventory
    Free Market Absolutists, tell me how this is some outrageous assault upon the sanctity of 'The Free Market'.

sterling-nz likes this.
  2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's repugnant that eBay banned them and it's repugnant that they are attempting to monopolize daily necessities. This is what happens when the free market reins free in a society absent of morals and objectivity.

ozcopper likes this.
  3. 66rounds

What is your solution or opinion?
    Anarchism?
    So instead of ordering on eBay I just go shoot them and take the lot?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  4. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Greed gets the better of people. And it leaves a bad taste in others mouths that just need a little. Not the [email protected]'n lot

66rounds likes this.
  5. Slimey

Slimey Well-Known Member

Hello....this is a perfect example of the Free Market.
    They donated it so someone gets it for free.
    If they had of kept it they would gotten free,board, lodging and probably sex.
    Lots of free in that example.

6. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

What's the problem? If you dont want it you dont have to buy it.
    They are just playing off peoples unreasonable fears and tears and panic responses.
    Theyve already determined that the hand sanitizer does nothing to kill the virus.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  7. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have no issue with what this guy did.
    However hand sanitiser with 66% alcohol or higher will kill Covid-19 only beaten by proper washing hands, according to all reputable sources.

and there are many places you can’t wash your hands.

mmm....shiney! and sterling-nz like this.
  8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Meeting the needs of the consumer. The possibility of higher prices incentivise suppliers to plan ahead forgoing the consumption of other goods for items they think will be needed at a future period in time.

There is nothing immoral or greedy about it. Unless of course someone considers it just that in times of shortages consumers should go without. It’s exactly the same way the market operates in meeting needs in ordinary times. The only difference at the moment is that we have the morally outraged getting on their soapboxes and broadcasting their ignorance of economics.

willrocks, STKR, wrcmad and 1 other person like this.
  9. mmm....shiney!

Bullshit.

willrocks and 66rounds like this.
  10. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I rather companies that produce paper towels and toilet paper tripled their prices and there be supply, than have price controls and no stock. This country is a joke.

11. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree.
    People only get shitty about other's taking the opportunity of their ideas, because they didn't think of it themselves.
    Furthermore, to condemn this type of creativeness on moral grounds will gain no traction in Australia ATM - one look at the supermarkets clearly shows this is how the majority of us behave.

12. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Coles sales from last week, what a joke! This feels very communist, pretend there is more supply then in reality.

Screenshot_2020-03-19 Coles Catalogue 11 - 17 Mar 2020.png Screenshot_2020-03-19 Coles Catalogue 11 - 17 Mar 2020 2.png

13. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I love having a business account with packaging companies and cleaning supply companies.
    Bought a hospital hand sanatiser dispenser with hospital grade 10x1.2L hand san refills yesterday arrived this morning, while people fighting over 50ml bottles of dog shit quality hand san at supermarkets.
    Bought 3x48 rolls of loo paper yesterday and they arrived today.
    direct from the suppliers. certain suppliers have no shortage what so ever, super markets have their own supply chains which is what is failing.
    ill be handing out toilet rolls free at my store to the poor bastards that are left with no loo rolls, and putting the sanitizer out the front of my store tobe used freely by any one, as Im not a greedy bastard
    I could stock up today and try and sell shit and take advantage of others in crisis period. but god damn you have tobe a sad bastard todo that.

14. mmm....shiney!

Neither are the blokes selling on eBay.

Giving away stuff has a profit motive.

15. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

???
    Im a laundromat,its not going to increase my traffic what so ever as You either use a laundromat or you dont, plus im the only laundromat in the area, I could act like mr monopoly if I so chose to which I do not as I have morals. if that is the accusation your implying.

The dispenser is being put on the front on the street for the whole town to use free. lol
    loo rolls are being given away to people on the street if they contact me and Ill drive down and give them a roll.
    Only motive is I hate seeing people go with out, because of others greed.
    and yes those guys are greedy, they created a shortage in supply on purpose by buying up shop after shop, only to sell on panic, and because of the shortage they created potentially puts allot of people at risk of getting sick, then yes that is greed and the worst kind.

16. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

It's only a monopoly when it's not the government that controls it all.
    Otherwise it's a bad thing.

17. mmm....shiney!

In my eyes they are not greedy, in your eyes they are greedy. So who is right? People need something, are willing to pay the price and these guys are satisfying that demand. They've helped others out who are in desperate need of something they don't have. Like people without washing machines.

If we start moralising about economic behaviour then we start down a slippery slope of market control by those with a vested interest in using the power of the State to enhance their outcomes at the expense of others.

Now I'm not accusing you of anything. But you are driven by the same motives that drive every body else on this planet ie self-interest, aka the desire to meet your needs and desires. Whether it be money, love, material possessions or simply, the willingness to help another living creature, your incentive is the same as mine and the same as every other rational person.

Giving away stuff or your time enhances your value in exactly the same way as me trading my time for money to cook for others who don't want to, we both profit from the experience.

STKR and wrcmad like this.
  18. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

I dont mean tobe rude to you, but you have a very screwed way of looking at things.

If it had anything todo with money, I could have stayed $700 richer by not bothering. If some poor bastard doesnt get sick because they have access to some hand san while down the street, then thats all that matters. the rest is just bullshit.

As for my image, Im well known for being an arrogant c-nt. lol, Im fine with that.

as for ebays action, they are after all a company who has investors, they set their own terms of trade, they chose that these guys arent to sell on their platform, Ebay makes money from people like that, so they chose not to make money from it. their investors can decide if thats the correct action they took or not. its a free market after all.
    So Should the gov step in and force the business to allow these guys to sell?
    free market should completely decide who you make money off and who you dont.
    Just like customers have a choice where they can shop, businesses should have the ability to chose who their customers are, even if you dont agree with their terms its their choice in a free market.

so from the capitalist point of view.
    these greedy idiots with $17k us of han san, tried to play the game on a sure thing and they lost lol. they got fucked by the big boys,lol Welcome to business bro.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    66rounds likes this.
  19. mmm....shiney!

Really? My view of the market is not out of the ordinary and is shared by countless others. If he was alive you could ask Adam Smith about it.

20. 66rounds

And what is their own ultimate interest? Profit?