Free Copper - Copper Bar from an old TV

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by miniroo, Dec 26, 2016.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To me copper is a good metal to stack, especially for students who don't make regular incomes.

Copper is cool, it holds value well and for those that want a big heavy stack but can't do it with gold or silver then copper is great.
    I mean, if your a student you might put together $50 or $100 every now and then to get 2-4 oz of shiny silver, but that's a slow stack and takes years to get big enough to really get excited.

So whilst your stacking them silver coins, and especially if your on school holidays bumming around not doing much, maybe go out and look for a few old tv's for copper.

Here I do just that in detail and although I melt it down into a bar there's no real need, you can stack copper as is and it's still worth the same.

To give you an example, looking at perth bullion, the cheapest ounce of copper is $4.73 that's for 28 grams!

My example bar from just 1 tv got me 36 oz of pure copper so do the math..

btw, recently I hit 10,000 subscribers on youtube
    was a great little milestone for my humble channel so I had a small give away and here's the results if anyone here entered..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    House likes this.
  2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Didn't know Perth mint sold copper coins.
    But each coin metal value is 25c Australian. That's some big premium if their sell for close to $5 a pop. Though I guess there is fabrication cost

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Extracting copper from a tv seems like a total waste of money for the vast majority of people considering the cost it would require to purchased all the equipment needed to melt the copper and the fuel cost required to power the torch.

Obviously, for the rare bloke who has all the right equipment already and can justify th fuel costs, it might be a good idea.

As for copper rounds, bars, medallions, and coins, I have purchased some of each for various reasons (the medals and coins because they are collector items and can be sold for high premiums probably at any time, the bars and rounds because copper just looks cool in my view).

So, I'm a fan of copper, but I'll definitely let someone else incur the costs of producing a final product.

4. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

TV's are getting harder to find for most so where else can we find free copper?

Microwave Ovens!