Frank Franzetta - Death Dealer coin (1oz and 5oz) 2015

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Stark, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi girls and guys! :)

Surfing on the internet I came across this coin. I like design quite a lot, it's hard to say however how it looks in hands. Even more, how good is the quality.

There are 1/2, 1, and 5 oz versions available, each coin has engraved number and matching COA.

It's written that 2015 coins will be available, 1000 of which going into collectors set. I'm not sure if each of the coins mintage will be 2015.

What do you think? :)

https://headsortalescoin.com/2015-silver-1oz-frazetta-museum-collectors-coin.html

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-OZ-SILVER...129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d636a0a9

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-OZ-SILVER...129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d636a0a9

1 oz is around 110$ (depends on the site), whereas 5oz is 349$. A little bit funny for me, but this makes 5oz (at least for me) favored decision.

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's very expensive for silver, wouldn't you get more fun from a Barbie doll?

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can get a set of the trading cards for a fraction of the cost, they are also 'limited editions; but you can see the pictures better, they are in colour as well.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I'm a fan of Frazetta's work (I've been to the museum years ago and met his wife Ellie) so I'll have to get one of these.

5. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Looks cool to me... special n unique theme.

6. db23

db23 Member

Seems quite pricey for a generic, very nice looking finish though.

7. Stark

Mintage is quite high, especially for 5oz versions. There are many alternatives for similar or with smaller price, lower mintage and probably bigger chance that value will increase (well you never know).
    Still I think the theme is quite unique. And I like fantasy/sci-fi a lot.
    Not sure if I was familiar with FF work before, but this made me very interested to check his work.

8. mmissinglink

There are no alternative Frank Frazetta Death Dealer rounds and one can not honestly compare any other fantasy artist with Frazetta in terms of impact and notoriety.

So to try to compare is like comparing apples to raisins, in my view. Just a little bit about Frazetta - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Frazetta

9. Stark

I wanted to say alternatives as coins for similar price, not coin "genre".. ;) :)

10. mmissinglink

These are basically the same price: A) https://sites.google.com/site/libertydollarencyclopedia/-10-base-silver-ounces/1.jpg?attredirects=0

That Norfed sold for $1,000

and 5 of these with enough left over to buy lunch: B) http://www.apmex.com/product/27086/1-oz-silver-bar-apmex

These also are about the same price: A) http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Britannia_2014_Five_Ounce_Gold_Proof_Coin

and

B) http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-5-T...677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d899c7ed

The point is - comparing price doesn't mean anything useful at all unless you are comparing exactly the same item. But I thought you knew this?

11. Stark

You missed my point.:)

I wanted to say it's hard to decide for this coin when for same price range I can get other coins (that I would maybe like more). As it's always hard to choose among gazillion of coins and medals one that is "worth it".

I was talking about (personal) preferences to decide which coin to buy, not comparing them.

When I will be have option to buy coin for 7500GBP then I won't have these problems, I think. ;)

12. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

This is one awesome hunk of silver, I already just caved in for one of the 1 oz versions...but the 5 oz version is calling my name now. :)

13. mmissinglink

I remember when I first got into buying silver coins back in 2012, I had no problem paying $350 or more for 5 oz of silver that I liked....so the $349 for the 5 oz Frazetta isn't extraordinary at all. I suppose, looking back, in 2012 the spot price of silver was considerably more than it is today but then again, sometimes you just gotta go for what you like instead of what's in the junk bargain bin. :)

14. Stark

Yeah, better not think how much money I lost with some (colored) coins, especially when I wanted to sell them...:)

Speaking about colored coins. Same mint is now taking pre(?)-orders for another coin. Although I'm not big fan of colored coins I like the design (well it's naked woman anyway :) ).
    Strangely(?) 5oz version is limited to 500 pieces and price is lower, 249$.

[​IMG]
    Source: https://headsortalescoin.com/steve-ferris/lady-godiva/lady-godiva-5-oz-silver-proof.html

Would prefer gilded or "normal" version though.

Now this would be something to put on a coin:
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://headsortalescoin.com/steve-ferris.html

15. Stark

16. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Frazetta has always been a favourite of mine. Some of his work is incredible.

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I liked his work, it was always a bit rougher than Chris Achilleos or Boris Vallejo whose work always looks highly airbrushed and polished. Mind you I collected the trade card sets of them all. This was back in the day though. Now I prefer artists like Gerald Brom whose work is less traditional fantasy.

18. mmissinglink

I still have the trade cards sets that I bought years ago (chase cards, prism cards, foil cards, very cool looking cards actually). I had many of the Frazetta posters too. I totally agree with your sentiment on the likes of Achilleos and Vallejo...both very talented artists but Frazetta's style is more appealing to me.

Years ago, when I went to the Frazetta museum in the middle of January on a bitter cold day, Frank was not feeling well so unfortunately I never got to meet him. But I had fun chatting with Ellie.

Many of his original paintings were on display and I was blown completely away with how they are so much better than the finest quality lithographs of his paintings are. Two of the most breath-taking original paintings is "Snow Giants" and "Silver Warrior". Death Dealer is of course probably my favorite of all.

Frazetta is a master among masters.

19. mmissinglink

I just learned today from a coin dealer that Frank Frazetta Jr (who is in charge of the Frazetta estate) has decided to raise the retail price on the 5 oz Death Dealer .999 silver coin to $399.

Just to let you know, the mirror proof field behind the raised frosted Death Dealer high relief portrait is actually relief textured, not just a plain flat field....very unusual and very cool looking.

20. Stark

Thanks for info!:)

I've noticed there is "something" behind DD.
    And was hoping that not milkspots.:p